Contribute
Register

How to build your own iMac Pro [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Gaming i9 XE 10 GBit/s LAN should not need any driver or Kext for macOS.
The Motherboard use the Aquantia AQtion AQC107 Chip which is by the way used in the iMac Pro!

It does indeed !
All three network cards are working..

That is awesome.

Posting using the ASRock, no issue booting macOS whatsoever.

The board is nowhere as well laid as the Designare. First the USB 3 header are located exactly where it would make my life hell. Typically USB3 header is located alongside near the power supply. But here, it's near the SATA ports, and my case has a metal bar just along side there. Couldn't plug my cable.. broke the connector :(

I screwed up my thermal paste application, I did it three times but it still runs at a good 15C hotter than the designare.

It doesn't feel as well built as the Designare either, the Designare as a back metal plate to re-enforce it, it was a very nice design.

Interestingly with the Intel Power Gadget I'm back to what the Asus was showing as far as CPU power user: around 45W when idle. The designare showed like 14W only.
I see the same type of power usage on my UPS: 110W total.

The BIOS setup is very nice, unfortunately, I haven't found how to set the CPU speed based on the number of core in use... It's all or nother, or can set a specific core to a given speed. Hopefully this exist somewhere.

Im using the ASRock X299 Taichi XE.

Sleep/Resume does appear to work, I had a problem with waking but some bios tweaks fixed that. I haven't tested this extensively, I've only let the computer sleep for about half an hour but yeah it appears to work.

Does Bluetooth on that board work for you?
It's not recognised here

Does anyone use AMD rx vega experience problem with dual monitor? My dual monitor only works if i use lilu + whatevergreen on 10.13.4 beta5

@kgp

- Sleep/Wake works, provided you disable TB3 in the BIOS

I have the same issue on the ASUS Prime X299 Deluxe.
If anyone knows how to fix this. I also get kernel panic and reboot at the 2nd sleep attempt on the Prime.
1st sleep attempt works.

Interestingly with the Intel Power Gadget I'm back to what the Asus was showing as far as CPU power user: around 45W when idle. The designare showed like 14W only.

On the Prime at Idle with X9-7900X I get 80W using the Power Meter

I haven't figured out adoption part yet, it would be easier for me to remove it. The problem is if I add SSDT-X299-iMacPro.aml file as is to patched folder my build won't boot anymore. I am trying to figure out what exactly in aml file is not matching my build. I wouldn't bother for cosmetic things, but you mentioned in your instructions "the correct HDMI/DP HDAU digital audio PCI device implementation will be performed and detailed in Section E.9) in line with the HDEF PCI device implementation.". I was hoping to fix my HDMI/DP audio problem.

I guess your current assumptions are totally wrong my friend.

With your ASUS Prime X299 Deluxe and Nvidia GPU in Slot 1, the HDEF, GFX0 and HDAU PCI implementation should run OoB, without any modifications.

Note however that if one subsequent PCI device implementation fails, also all other PCI device implementations fail (also the working ones).

I therefore always recommend to start with a minimal SSDT configuration, which would be HDEF, GFX0 and HDAU in your case.

If that works, continue adding devices and verify after each PCI device implementations, if all PCI devices are still properly listed under "PCI" of Apple's system report.

Your HDEF, GFX0 and HDAU implementation fails, because another PCI device implementation collapses the entire PCI device implementation...

Good luck,

KGP

@kgp

I have the same issue on the ASUS Prime X299 Deluxe.
If anyone knows how to fix this. I also get kernel panic and reboot at the 2nd sleep attempt on the Prime.
1st sleep attempt works.

Sorry, but based on your description I really have no clue what could be the source of your problems. I don't witness any of this kind of issues on my system.

I don't know how to fix your issues because I also do not know what are exactly your issues.

I only can tell you that everything should work if implemented as described in my guide.

Good luck, man!

Does Bluetooth on that board work for you?
It's not recognised here

BT should work for you because it uses USB via NGFF on the Designare EX.

If you want BT+Wifi you can either get the NGFF I got and replace it or get a OSX Wifi or some other native macOS PCIe Wifi/BT card/combo.

I am having some issues with the replaced NGFF BT/WIFI though, there are dropouts with bluetooth headphones. I am still having issues with proper SSDTs for USB and USB Power distributions so I'm hoping when that's fixed I will get back to normal and not worry about it.

I might get annoyed and just install back the OSX Wifi card :)
The SSDT setup is really annoying the heck out of me.

What doesn't work:
- Waking the mac if it's sleeping if you have TB3 enabled in the BIOS

For sleep/wake to work (with TB3 disabled), you need to go into the BIOS and enable Platform Power Management.

Honestly, I never had to disable Thunderbolt 3 for sleep and it works but I don’t have Platform Power Management active and no DSDT/SSDT. Unfortunately I have some different problem with sleep but I work already on a solution for it. My rig sometimes just wakes after hours... If you decide to go back to the Designare we should team up and just look for the problem and fix all of them.

I screwed up my thermal paste application, I did it three times but it still runs at a good 15C hotter than the designare.

It doesn't feel as well built as the Designare either, the Designare as a back metal plate to re-enforce it, it was a very nice design.

Damn, 15C hotter ? Would be a big no go for me. It’s just my personal opinion, but If you are happy with it, that is what counts in the end of the day. Yes the Designare is build really good, never saw such incredible work before, not only in design also in functionality. The Metal Plate on the backside of the Designare is not only for design and to reinforce the Motherboard, it’s also like a big passive cooler in some kinda way.
Wow 30 Watt difference, I mean ok it’s not that big deal but strange why the Asrock and also Asus took that much more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back