Contribute
Register

How to build your own iMac Pro [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
It burned two motherboards and 3 USB sticks.
  • first MB - lost RGB lights, no USB recognized, not able to boot from USB.
  • second - lost RGB lights, not able to boot from USB
  • USBs that were plugged in when I had NZXT connected to the system not recognizable
Can you explain how you connected your NZXT USB hub? Especially the power cable connection. I had it connected to Molex that comes directly from PSU.

@rauan1, @zzmadd ,

never heard about that a NZXT USB hub would burn motherboard and USB sticks... That sounds totally weird. I am using my NZXT USB hub for months and I do not witness any issue at all, not even sleep/wake related..

ASUS Thunderbolt 3 Card:

- 1st sleep work
- From 2nd sleep kernel panic
- if USB plugged in after 1st sleep it gets disconnected.

Everyone with this card and ASUS Prime X299 lives the same issues?

I don't face your issue at all. Sleep/wake with TB on my rig works pretty fine...

I just read your guide, awesome work. I have the Asus Prime A X299 Not the Deluxe.

I have already a full working vanilla hacintosh with High sierra i7,

I’m thinking of moving my hard drive from the old i7 computer to the new x299 i9.

Question:

With just updating the bios and changing the EFI on the drive will do the trick? or do I need to do the full installation from scrash?

The update should work if properly done.. However, a clean install might be the smarter way to set up your system from scratch..

Up to you my friend.. ;)

Hi @kgp or any other ACPI experts in this thread. First of all KGP- i have been a long time admirer of your guides, really outstanding and thorough work, and easy to follow and learn as you go.

I have after much trying and testing been able to implement the SSDT functions for my hardware (X299 Designare and some PCIe cards) pretty well. The only, very cosmetic issue i seem to be having is that often the APPL,slot-name i assign is ignored. In this case under PCI in system profiler it shows "PCI Slot X" where X is usually "0" but sometimes something else (like "9") wondering why this happens and if there is a fix? it seems whenever slot is assigned "built-in" that works but most of my "Slot-X" assignments are ignored and replaced by the aforementioned "PCI Slot X".

Thanks!
g\

hmmm, difficult to say why the APPL,slot-name assignment should not work in your case. I never faced any issue.. It should work as implemented..

The update should work if properly done.. However, a clean install might be the smarter way to set up your system from scratch..

Up to you my friend.. ;)
I successfully used the migration assistant after a clean install. It works really well these days apart from a few permission issues

Reactions: kgp
Hello kgp, Thanks for this super detailed and impressive iMacPro 1,1 guide. I am almost ready to build my first system and your amazing guide has given me the confidence to do so!. Thank you.

Just wanted to ask you if i can directly implement most of the DSDT settings as is for an Asus X299-A seeing that it's very similar to the deluxe in its base layout?

I won't be using the onboard audio, will have Nvidia graphics card on the first PCI Slot, have got an Old D- Link USB WIFI Ac dongle and a Bluetooth dongle, I may use a Fresco Logic USB3 Card if the AsMedia Ports are flakey.

Also, I don't see a DSDT.aml or SSDT.aml file in the ACPI patched folder in the iMac pro 1,1 EFI folder you've created for us, but I do see the Config.plist entries.

do I need to do something specifically to generate the DSDT or SSDT?

Thank's you for your help.

I have ASUS Prime x299 Deluxe, i9-7960X, Tridentz DDR-4 3200 Mhz, Samsung 960 evo and NVIDIA Gigabyte 1050 Ti. If I want to adopt KGP's SSDT-X299-iMacPro.aml which ones should I remove or edit from the list for proper implementation:
E.9.2.1) - HDEF - onboard PCI Audio Controller PCI Implementation
E.9.2.2) - GFX0, HDAU - Nvidia Graphics Card and HDMI/DP Audio PCI implementation
E.9.2.3) - PMCR - onboard Power Management Controller (PMC) PCI Implementation
E.9.2.4) - USBX - fixing XHCI USB Power errors during Boot
E.9.2.5) - XHCI - onboard Extended Host Controller Interface (XHCI) PCI Implementation
E.9.2.6) - XHC2,3,4 - ASMedia ASM3142 USB 3.1 Controller PCI Implementation
E.9.2.7) - ANS2 - Apple NVMe Controller PCI Implementation
E.9.2.8) - SAT1 - Intel AHCI SATA Controller PCI Implementation
E.9.2.9) - ETH0/ETH1 - onboard LAN Controller PCI Implementation
E.9.2.10) - ARPT - OSX WIFI Broadcom BCM94360CD 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac + Bluetooth 4.0 AirPort Controller PCI Implementation
E.9.2.11) - ThunderboltEX 3 Controller PCI Implementation
E.9.2.12) - DTGP Method
Is it sufficient for my build if I just remove the ones in bold? I checked the description for others it either says onboard or valid for all asus deluxe boards.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-03-16 at 9.29.57 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-03-16 at 9.29.57 AM.png
    313.5 KB · Views: 118
Do you complete the update at all? Once the PC restarts you have to boot once the "Install MacOS partition" instead of your "MacOS partition"...
I've Downloaded the DMG
Launch the pkg
Restart
Select the "Mac OS installer" with Clover
Get this error message
Supplemental_Update_10133.png
Repeating the first steps ...doesn't help (obviously)
What have I done wrong ?
Thanks for any advice

Last edited:
you obviously haven't followed the step on how to create a USB install disk... It's all there from section D.2
You must manually copy some files, or use the bash script createInstaller.sh.zip to do so
Thanks for your reply
but I'm just updating my 10.13.3 with the Supplemental Update
I 've always (Minor) Update my previous build without making USB installer.
Please can you confirm that
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back