Contribute
Register

How to build your own iMac Pro [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems .161 version of the Nvidia Web Driver isn't as good as previous versions… Is this true for other people? Is 159 still the best option for a 1080 Ti? Thanks. :)

This is seriously impressive! Thank you for taking the time to write your process so thoroughly!

As a developer I have a question: Did you benchmark compiling anything with this machine?

I'd be very interested in seeing how this machine performs using Xcode.

Would be great if you find the time to do this somewhat standardized test:
https://github.com/ashfurrow/xcode-hardware-performance

xcode 9.2
MacOS 10.13.4 beta5
did a build of eidolon https://github.com/artsy/eidolon
fresh build + time to finish launching ipad 10.5 simulator = 1 minute and 53 seconds ( 1:02 compile time, and 50 second to start up simulator)

incremental build + time to finish launching ipad 10.5 simulatr = 51 seconds (00:07 compile time, and 43 seconds to start simulator)

Strange that my fresh build result is much slower compared to the machines on the list even though i have 32gb and i9-7900x. My SSD is just a standard 1 TB sata3 so not an NVME drive (318/389 Read write). My incremental build takes the same time for compile but much slower on simulator start time as well.

Last edited:
After installation the Mac OS and the NVIDIA web driver. I am now stuck on the booting phase.

Could someone help me...

IMG_0963.JPG

Find your Thunderbolt PCI adres in boot log and create arbitrary for TB3 device (1578 device id)
You can apply this for all your device. So there are no need for using ssdt. Everything can by concentrate in one config.plist.
View attachment 318363 View attachment 318360
But I thing this technic is not compatible with your guide.

@borysbass That is really awesome! I'm doing my best to understand exactly what you mean. I keep reading and trying, but I haven't tried everything. Where exactly within the text mode of the Clover Configurator file do I place that snippet you posted? I copied it and closed my tags but it gave me an error. The device is plugged in and powered on but is not recognized.

I see nothing for Thunderbolt:

Screen Shot 2018-03-15 at 02.01.23.png

But I see an audio device recognized in the PCI slot, and the UA Arrow audio drivers are installed:

Screen Shot 2018-03-15 at 02.01.38.png

Update:

Screen Shot 2018-03-15 at 02.36.12.png

I'll try to use that information in a way similar to what you outlined, but in case I run into any problems: What are the in-between steps in your post? Could you break it down a little more? Thanks again! (As fun as this all is, I want to make music!)

@kgp I think I wasn't accurately describing my (other) problem. The machine boots without issue and I've used it with a non-Thunderbolt audio interface for three months, as you can see:

Screen Shot 2018-03-15 at 01.45.38.png

However, when I look at my BIOS settings, it recognizes only the USB -- in other words, I have to boot from the USB drive. The BIOS does not show my HDD.

bios.jpg

Despite this, when I open Clover Configurator, on the home page I see [Volume Name]/EFI/CLOVER/config.plist. What am I missing? What do I copy to where to get the machine to start up without the USB? I can't seem to easily copy the files from the USB (and why would I want to do that if the config.plist file on the main drive is correct and works with the system?). Thanks! It's late.

Thanks again everyone for your help.

Last edited:
Guys, I'm experiencing an issue with sleep and possibly wake from it that leads to kernel panic.
I followed the guide almost to the pip.
Same Motherboard i9-7900X, flashed bios, same Bios configuration.
Same WiFi/Bluetooth Card o the same slot.
Have AMD RX580 as Video Card.
ASUS Thunderbolt 3 Card in the same slot as the guide suggests.
And an added Maxwell PCIe 1x 4 ports SATA card

When I let the PC sleep it works the first time.
I wake it and it's all good and well.
Then the second time the PC tries to sleep but it fails and Reboots
This happens both with USB keyboard/mouse and Bluetooth unplugged and with Bluetooth Keyb and Mouse.

One of these reboots lead to macOS wrapping the console info and wanting to sent to Apple, I copied these info in a text file.
Any help if how to approach the issue would be appreciated.
Thanks everyone.

UPDATE:
After unplugging all the PCI cards the one that breaks sleep and leads to reboot is the ASUS Thunderbolt 3 Card

Attachments

• KernelPanic.rtf.zip
    9.8 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
This is seriously impressive! Thank you for taking the time to write your process so thoroughly!
As a developer I have a question: Did you benchmark compiling anything with this machine?

I can't say for a particular project as your github link, but I can give compilation time on the project I'm working on.
For reference, on a Mac Pro 2013 (8 cores), it took 14m25s to build running macOS, 15m on Linux and 24 minutes on Windows
On a Dell XPS 15 9560, 29 minutes on Windows, 14m in Linux
On an iMac Pro 10 cores: 7m40s running macOS and 14m20s on Windows
On an iMac Pro 18 cores: 9m50s running macOS (don't have times for Windows)
On the Hackintosh with i9-7980xe, using default BIOS setting: 9m55s running macOS
On that same Hackintosh with the BIOS settings provided in the first post (for the Gigabyte Designare): 7m27s on macOS and 13m10s on Windows

The almost doubling of the number of cores made little difference on compilation time unfortunately.

For an interesting note, the real iMac Pro 18 cores, at idle the CPU is around 65C, and during compilation of the project the CPU overs around 95C during the entire time. This combined with the lower maximum frequency make the 18 cores a poor choice for developers.

Get a 10 cores, OC like crazy... Or if you have money, and *lot* of spare time to set it up, get the 7980 and OC like crazy

@borysbass That is really awesome! I'm doing my best to understand exactly what you mean. I keep reading and trying, but I haven't tried everything. Where exactly within the text mode of the Clover Configurator file do I place that snippet you posted? I copied it and closed my tags but it gave me an error. The device is plugged in and powered on but is not recognized..

You'll never see anything showing in the thunderbolt section. The devices will appear in the PCI list however, with a location set to something like Thunderbolt@xxx

No, I mean putting the machine to sleep: Apple Menu -> Sleep (Shift + Control + Eject if you use an apple keyboard)
Sleep has little to do with just having your screen on stand-by :)
Well... sorry I do not have one apple keyboard and on the "Apple Menu" I have only : Logout, stop, restart, shutdown and lock-screen, no mention of "sleep".... What do You want me to trie?

You'll never see anything showing in the thunderbolt section. The devices will appear in the PCI list however, with a location set to something like Thunderbolt@xxx
Hi, I do use X299 Designare like you, I use Your EFI, BUT I do not see any mention of Thunderbolt in the PCI section,.... Could you please post one screenshot of how it should look like?
Rasons that I do not see anything? Solution suggestions?

Can you suspend/resume with your board.
Glad I could be of some help. I've improved the set-up a fair bit with the last ssdt injection. I'll update the EFI folder accordingly
OK, when You finish Your work or if there is some tangible improvement, please let me know! ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back