Contribute
Register

How to build your own iMac Pro [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
In BIOS enable Hot Plug only for those SATA port that you will be hotpluging.

With this patch it is like that:
every SATA port that has Hot Plug set to Enable in BIOS will be hot swapable and will show up as external disk.
every SATA port that has Hot Plug set to Disable in BIOS will NOT be hot swapable and will show up as internal disk.

At least that is how it works on my system.

And without that patch, hot plug is not working for you either? I wonder why I am the only one with native SATA hot plug functionality...

And without that patch, hot plug is not working for you either? I wonder why I am the only one with native SATA hot plug functionality...

Yup, with out it is not working.

No idea why it is working for you and not for me.

BTW has it been working for you from the beginning? I mean 13.1/13.2? As I have been using this patch since 13.2. Haven't tried hot plug without it on 13.3. Maybe apple fixed it somewhere in between.
Gonna run some more tests.

EDIT: Nope, without patch it does not work.

Last edited:
In my rig for hot swap working this kext in L/E

Attachments

• AppleAHCIHotPlug.kext.zip
    54.4 KB · Views: 100
is there anything special that we have to do to receive the 10.13.4 beta update? I enabled the app store to "download beta" but i can never get the beta to show up despite attempting to restart several times. Current build is 10.13.3 (17D2104)

is there anything special that we have to do to receive the 10.13.4 beta update? I enabled the app store to "download beta" but i can never get the beta to show up despite attempting to restart several times. Current build is 10.13.3 (17D2104)
You can use this app.

Attachments

• SWUSwitcher.zip
    1.7 MB · Views: 98
In BIOS enable Hot Plug only for those SATA port that you will be hotpluging.

With this patch it is like that:
every SATA port that has Hot Plug set to Enable in BIOS will be hot swapable and will show up as external disk.
every SATA port that has Hot Plug set to Disable in BIOS will NOT be hot swapable and will show up as internal disk.

by hot swapable I mean, that with a running system you can attach disk to SATA port, that was empty when the system was started.

At least that is how it works on my system.
Thanks Rabish!!
This way it's actually a perfect implementation.
I'm really happy.
This is a fantastic build!
Thanks kgp!!

Raid is so passé. Just another expensive middle man waiting to do proprietary mash ups . Sorry , I went zfs when Sierra didn't accept my highpoint raid drivers anymore .

They released new drivers in October 2017, Samsung Pro and EVO 850 SSDs as well as Kingston SSDNow V300, UV400, and DC400 drives are now supported.

Last edited:
Yup, with out it is not working.

No idea why it is working for you and not for me.

BTW has it been working for you from the beginning? I mean 13.1/13.2? As I have been using this patch since 13.2. Haven't tried hot plug without it on 13.3. Maybe apple fixed it somewhere in between.
Gonna run some more tests.

EDIT: Nope, without patch it does not work.

If I correctly remember it was working even before. But with 10.13.3 (17D2104) it is working for sure.

The real iMac Pro have some insane SSD speed (3.5GB/s read and write), iFixit tear down showed that for the 1TB option, they were using two 512GB SSD in RAID0.

If we could duplicate that setup that would be awesome

You have to register for the Apple Public Beta Programm. Subsequently, you should find a red update notification symbol on the Appstore icon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back