Contribute
Register

How to build your own iMac Pro [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are right about that, I hadn’t seen the latest update. Nevertheless I am not switching to apfs yet. I’ve heard of presets listing backwards and issues with carbon copy cloner . Maybe being paranoid but when you format a blank disk in hfs + and the high Sierra installer just converts it to apfs without any warning it’s not great.
I’m sure apfs is wonderful but I’ll pass for the time being. Never understood why they didn’t just go with ZFS a proven tech.

Better safe than sorry :)... I did an APFS Installation and also use Kontakt a lot, so far I haven't had any trouble but I'll keep testing and report in case something goes wrong.

Last edited:
Hey @kgp love this thread, thanks so much for a great iMac Pro clone!

I have one issue, I followed @izo1's very helpful idea of swapping Intel Wifi/BT chip with the Broadcom and everything works fine. However, Bluetooth drops out some times.

Is this related to the lack of DSDT? Is there a power distribution issue with the BCM94352Z since BT uses USB?

Thank you

Hi there,

I have a similar issue with this module and most likely it has to do with the USB Power Delivery SSDT. There is a good thread from the great RehabMan regarding this and I'm trying to figure it out there. I ordered a few new antennas (I found out that they are MMCX, which are super tiny compared to the SP-SMA ones which are more mainstream) will see if that helps at all.

Hope this helps.

@apfelnico I tried to replicate your ideas on my machine. ACPI patches are fully implemented using the hotpatch method described by the guide. But even with an additional unedited DSDT my machine doesn´t boot anymore.
It´s actually the first time I´m trying the hotpatching method via clover and SSDT plus an additional DSDT on a desktop machine.
Do you have an idea what I miss?

I have it working !!!!!
Both my 5K (5120x2880) and my 27" Apple Thunderbolt screen (2560x1440) with SMBIOS set to iMacPro,1

@NWSnowBum gave me a good hint on where to look.
I used https://github.com/aerror2/NGFixLG5K which is a patched NvidiaGraphicsFixup

Actually, looking more closely at the code, the only reason that works is a side effect of this kext injecting a model number MacPro,6...

Ok, I spent some time this evening looking at this particular kext, and why somehow it made my 5K screen works, and solved all my other screen display problem

Analysing the source code, and after a bit of test&trials, I found that the most important part to make it work was this code:
https://github.com/aerror2/NGFixLG5K/blob/master/NvidiaGraphicsFixup/kern_ngfx.cpp#L149

It loads AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy.kext and rename "board-id" into "board-ix" (my guess is that any replacements would do, so long as it's no longer "board-id")

So rather than making a custom kernel extension, I attempted to do the same using clover kernel patch:
Code:
Name*                          Find*[Hex]                  Replace* [Hex]             Comment
AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy      626F6172 642D6964           626F6172 642D6978          AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy board-id -> board-ix

Reboot, and it all works....
All 3 DP ports working on my AMD Vega, and the 5K works at native resolution.
Hardware decoding *and* encoding works...

Funny on how it's always the most trivial solution that works the best..

@kgp may want to include this to your guide ...

@NWSnowBum can you try this on your side (after removing Lilu and the Nvidia kext) and see if things work better for you?

Last edited by a moderator:
You must be a very happy man after weeks of frustration with this!

I certainly am....
When I can't solve a problem I just can't stop trying, been totally unproductive those past two weeks as this issue was nagging me...

Going to adapt @apfelnico DSDT patch for the Gigabyte now...
Starting to understand what I'm doing :)

Hey,
I installed the latest supplement update using iMac17,1 in the config file,
now, when i change the SMBIOS to MacPro1,1 it won't boot,
what do i need to do in order to use MacPro1,1 again?

also, what should i use, iMac18,3 or iMac17,1 ?

You should neither use SMBIOS iMac18,3 nor SMBIOS iMac17,1...

You should use SMBIOS MacPro1,1 and follow section D.5)

Good luck,

KGP

Ok, I spent some time this evening looking at this particular kext, and why somehow it made my 5K screen works, and solved all my other screen display problem

Analyzing the source code, and after a bit of test&trials, I found that the most important part to make it work was this code:
https://github.com/aerror2/NGFixLG5K/blob/master/NvidiaGraphicsFixup/kern_ngfx.cpp#L149

It loads AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy.kext and rename "board-id" into "board-ix" (my guess is that any replacements would do, so long as it's no longer "board-id")

So rather than making a custom kernel extension, I attempted to do the same using clover kernel patch:
Code:
Name*                          Find*[Hex]                  Replace* [Hex]             Comment
AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy      626F6172 642D6964           626F6172 642D6978          AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy board-id -> board-ix

Reboot, and it all works....
All 3 DP ports working on my AMD Vega, and the 5K works at native resolution.
Hardware decoding *and* encoding works...

Funny on how it's always the most trivial solution that works the best..

@kgp may want to include this to your guide ...

@NWSnowBum can you try this on your side (after removing Lilu and the Nvidia kext) and see if things work better for you?

Does this kernel patch just apply for Vegas or for all Radeon GPUs?

What about Nvidia GPUs in multi-monitor configuration?

As soon these two last questions are clarified, I will of course implement your important finding in the guide.

Does this kernel patch just apply for Vegas or for all Radeon GPUs?

What about Nvidia GPUs in multi-monitor configuration?

As soon these two last questions are clarified, I will of course implement your important finding in the guide.

This patch is what's the NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext
does, so it can't hurt to have it enabled on all platforms.
I've never had issue with my 5K monitor with the nvidia cards though...

Finally found a way how to download the full Installer.app for beta‘s.

Public beta full package installer? Else, see post #308 ...

Last edited:
This patch is what's the NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext
does, so it can't hurt to have it enabled on all platforms.
I've never had issue with my 5K monitor with the nvidia cards though...

As the NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext is absolete with SMBIOS iMacPro1,1, I don't know if the kernel patch would be really necessary for Nvidia GPUs.. Can somebody with a Nvidia GPU in multi-monitor configuration can confirm any advantage when implementing this Kernel patch? I direct the same request to all users with Radeon GPUs different from Vegas..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back