Contribute
Register

How to build your own iMac Pro [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm starting to game plan a build. Safe bet I guess is the asus x299 prime (is this as compatible as deluxe version) but I really like asrock. I have a asrock x99e-itx that based on the previous guide works great. I would love to get the professional gaming board with a built in aquntia 10gbe nic. So..... anyone having success with asrock boards? I would love to hear some feedback or thoughts on it as a x299 option.
I did, as you can see from my signature. Also @justdatruth has a ASRock x299 Taichi XE mobo.
For UEFI settings see these posts:

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...d-extended-guide.229353/page-121#post-1620459

and also:

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...d-extended-guide.229353/page-160#post-1631792

cheers!

OZ

I'm starting to game plan a build. Safe bet I guess is the asus x299 prime (is this as compatible as deluxe version) but I really like asrock. I have a asrock x99e-itx that based on the previous guide works great. I would love to get the professional gaming board with a built in aquntia 10gbe nic. So..... anyone having success with asrock boards? I would love to hear some feedback or thoughts on it as a x299 option.

This X299 platform was for me at the begening of developpement on the hackintosh project a way "to live the future " as KGP reports here.
That's mean to have a most powerfull build for using Mac OS X.
My choice was for a Gigabyte X299UD4 for cost reason during sales periods in France ( about 215 $ on amazon.fr) and the CPU i7-7800X for evolutive in future on x299 platform ( about 420 $ on amazon.fr).
My build is fully working without bios patched just WoodoTSCsync and TSCAdjustreset kexts for sleep and wake with no issue.
My CPU with my GPU is very powerfull for my usage for architecture design and projects also BIM purpose.
I think with a CPU like i9-7960X for exemple , is actually the most powerful option for professional usage for Customac build as many members here.

Last edited:
This X299 platform was for me at the begening of developpement on the hackintosh project a way "to live the future " as KGP reports here.
That's mean to have a most powerfull build for using Mac OS X.
My choice was for a Gigabyte X299UD4 for cost reason during sales periods in France ( about 215 $ on amazon.fr) and the CPU i7-7800X for evolutive in future on x299 platform ( about 420 $ on amazon.fr).
My build is fully working without bios patched just WoodoTSCsync and TSCAdjustreset kexts for sleep and wake with no issue.
My CPU with my GPU is very powerfull for my usage for architecture design and projects also BIM purpose.
I think with a CPU like i9-7960X for exemple , is actually the most powerful option for professional usage for Customac build as many members here.

Nice build!
I'm using an MSI X299 Xpower Gaming AC with a 7980XE. Everything works. It's pretty great.

Nice build!
I'm using an MSI X299 Xpower Gaming AC with a 7980XE. Everything works. It's pretty great.

Sure you have a nice (and powerful )build with i9-7980XE !

And it's really the first time (with the help of this guide thank's Kgp) I can perform install with all working (I wait for the deliver of my PCI-E wifi card...)

With basic settings my CPU is working about 4,0 Ghz seems to be the right frequency on turbo-boost for i7-7800X

Attachments

• Loloflat6_IPG_17_02_2018.png
    Loloflat6_IPG_17_02_2018.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 164
Last edited:
So I have now followed most of the (incredibly detailed) instructions provided on the first page and I have a system up and going.

My system is made of a i9-7980xe with a Corsair H150i Pro cooler where all the system fans are connected to the case PWM controller, the case is a Fractal Design R6).

So far so good, however after about 1 minute uptime, the fans speed start to ramp up and I then feel like I'm leaving in a data centre.

The bios have been configured as detailed, the MSR 0xE2 got patched successfully (side note: I struggled there as the flashing only ever fully worked when I used a 8GB usb stick, with a USB 3,64GB stick, it all appeared to work (install the new boot screen etc) but the 0xE2 register was never made writeable)
X86PlatformPlugin.kext is properly loaded (according to the kextstat|grep -y x86plat command)

Any ideas on what could be happening here?

The other thing that isn't working is my HP z27q 5K screen (that requires two DP cables), I can launch clover, I see the bootstrapping but when it comes to launch the GUI the screen stays black). Using an Apple TB2 display works just fine, but the resolution sucks of course.

I have a Vega 64 (with 8GB of ram), I did nothing to configure the graphic card, nor did I play with the ACPI DSDT value (such as converting SL05->GFX0), is this required?

Thanks in advance.
JY

Last edited by a moderator:
So I have no followed most of the (incredibly detailed) instructions provided on the first page and I have a system up and going.

My system is made of a i9-7980xe with a Corsair H150i Pro cooler where all the system fans are connected to the case PWM controller, the case is a Fractal Design R6).

So far so good, however after about 1 minute uptime, the fans speed start to ramp up and I then feel like I'm leaving in a data centre.

The bios have been configured as detailed, the MSR 0xE2 got patched successfully (side note: I struggled there as the flashing only ever fully worked when I used a 8GB usb stick, with a USB 3,64GB stick, it all appeared to work (install the new boot screen etc) but the 0xE2 register was never made writeable)
X86PlatformPlugin.kext is properly loaded (according to the kextstat|grep -y x86plat command)

Any ideas on what could be happening here?

The other thing that isn't working is my HP z27q 5K screen (that requires two DP cables), I can launch clover, I see the bootstrapping but when it comes to launch the GUI the screen stays black). Using an Apple TB2 display works just fine, but the resolution sucks of course.

I have a Vega 64 (with 8GB of ram), I did nothing to configure the graphic card, nor did I play with the ACPI DSDT value (such as converting SL05->GFX0), is this required?

Thanks in advance.
JY
Run Intel Power Gadget and see if your CPU is being utilized, causing the fans to ramp up. Check Activity Monitor to see which process is doing that if so.

Edit: misunderstood part of your post.

Last edited:
Run Intel Power Gadget and see if your CPU is being utilized, causing the fans to ramp up. Check Activity Monitor to see which process is doing that if so.

Edit: misunderstood part of your post.

power usage reported by Intel Power Gadget is 23W, with a temperature of 27C average, the utilization is around 0% right now.

As to why I wanted to check that X86PlatformPlugin.kext was installed, it was part of the section "E.1) HWP (Intel SpeedShift Technology) CPU Power Management Configuration"
intel power gadget does show the frequency changing from 1GHz to 2.5GHz right now...

power usage reported by Intel Power Gadget is 23W, with a temperature of 27C average, the utilization is around 0% right now.

As to why I wanted to check that X86PlatformPlugin.kext was installed, it was part of the section "E.1) HWP (Intel SpeedShift Technology) CPU Power Management Configuration"
intel power gadget does show the frequency changing from 1GHz to 2.5GHz right now...

Do your fans spin up high when it's giving you this reading?

Hello friends,

E.9.2) SSDT-X299-iMacPro.aml PCI Implementation
Skip..? I have different video card & no thunderbolt card and have yet to learn how to modify .aml.

Your config still shows you're using SMBIOS for iMacPro1,1 with iMacPro1,1 board serial.

Do your fans spin up high when it's giving you this reading?

Oh definitely. They are running at full speed, regardless of what the machine is doing...
As soon as I reboot, the fans settle down until about 1 minute after the reboot into macos complete.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back