Contribute
Register

How to build your own iMac Pro [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok this is good to know and I will take note but I don’t think it’s a black screen issue. My display always wakes fine unless the system crashes/kp upon waking from a sleep state (xcpm core scope patch disabled). Once I re enabled the patch, wake and sleep almost fine...

Now I notice something different. I can manually set it to sleep via the Apple taskbar but seems now it won’t sleep automatically. Grant it I have the display set to turn off at 1 minute and system to sleep at 2 but still it won’t go to sleep by itself. I’m gonna change the sleep settings for a longer time like maybe 5 and ten minutes and see what happens

Something’s telling me I’m going to end up doing a fresh install tomorrow. I am using an older revision of your efi folder as I’ve seen you’ve made adjustments and improvements like 3x that I can recall witnessing since I’ve setup my iX299 Pro

Last edited:
Ok this is good to know and I will take note but I don’t think it’s a black screen issue. My display always wakes fine unless the system crashes/kp upon waking from a sleep state (xcpm core scope patch disabled). Once I re enabled the patch, wake and sleep almost fine...

Now I notice something different. I can manually set it to sleep via the Apple taskbar but seems now it won’t sleep automatically. Grant it I have the display set to turn off at 1 minute and system to sleep at 2 but still it won’t go to sleep by itself. I’m gonna change the sleep settings for a longer time like maybe 5 and ten minutes and see what happens

Something’s telling me I’m going to end up doing a fresh install tomorrow. I am using an older revision of your efi folder as I’ve seen you’ve made adjustments and improvements like 3x that I can recall witnessing since I’ve setup my iX299 Pro

To be honest my intention was to attack the sleep/wake problem at the end, once everything else is under control. You forced me to do it already now :lol: .. So I am on it ;)

Give us some time and we will be able to manage.. I guess we are already on a good way and not much seems to be missing..

EDIT: None of the changes below are relevant. System froze just now, after more than 2 days of uptime... :(

--------

Left aside the sleep/wake issue, I've crosschecked some changes I've made to hope resolve the random freeze/KP we're having with @AnaktuvGod for our R6E motherboard when uptime reaches ~15h.

For that I have compared two system profiles I have, one for which I know I'm getting these random freeze/KP, and the second one which I'm still using and currently have a decent uptime with no freeze/KP. Hopefully that can give us some clues about what could be wrong with our config.

Before (KP/SystemFreeze occurring after ~15h of uptime):

- System using APFS filesystem (small noticeable lags, slow boot, and other misc issues when the system is running)
- System was upgraded to 10.13.3 (17D2047) from a manual upgrade procedure from 10.13.2 (17C88)
- Clover r4380
- Using OsxAptioFix3Drv-64.efi (instead of AptioMemoryFix.efi) which can be found in drivers64UEFI folder
- Compiled FakeSMC's interferenc patched version from https://github.com/interferenc/HWSensors
- Placed the following FakeSMC kexts in "Other" Clover folder:
ACPISensors.kext
CPUSensors.kext
FakeSMC.kext
GPUSensors.kext
LPCSensors.kext​
- SSD Trim Enabler patch enabled

After (current uptime: 1d 16h and still running):

- System using HFS+ filesystem (resolved APFS related issues, see above)
- System was upgraded to 10.13.3 (17D2047) from a fresh 10.3.2 (17C2120) install and used migration assistant to restore data from previous APFS system
- Clover r4392, as a consequence of the upgrade from r4380 the following drivers64UEFI files have been upgraded:
AppleImageCodec-64.efi
AppleKeyAggregator-64.efi
AppleUITheme-64.efi
CsmVideoDxe-64.efi
DataHubDxe-64.efi
FirmwareVolume-64.efi
FSInject-64.efi
SMCHelper-64.efi
VBoxHfs-64.efi​
- Compiled latest AptioMemoryFix.efi (instead of OsxAptioFix3Drv-64.efi) and placed it in Clover's drivers64UEFI folder
- Compiled and Patched (to have per Core multiplier and frequency) the latest FakeSMC from https://github.com/kozlek/HWSensors
- Placed the following FakeSMC kexts in "Other" Clover folder:
(Removed ACPISensors.kext from Clover's Other folder)
CPUSensors.kext
FakeSMC.kext
GPUSensors.kext
LPCSensors.kext​
- DSDT replacements switched to disabled (were previously enabled):
SL05 -> GFX0 from KGP (disabled) --> disabled because not found on R6E
_OSI -> XOSI from KGP (disabled) --> Should in fact be enabled, cf #4654
H_EC -> EC__ from KGP (disabled) --> disabled because not found on R6E
GBE1 -> ETH0 from KGP (disabled) --> disabled because not relevant
RP05 -> ETH1 from Thireus (disabled) --> disabled because not relevant
IDER -> MEID from KGP (disabled) --> found in DSDT.aml, probably relevant to enable this
SLOC -> ARPT from KGP (disabled) --> disabled because not found on R6E
SL01 -> UPSB from KGP (disabled) --> found in DSDT.aml, probably relevant to enable this
_DSM -> XDSM from KGP (disabled) --> Should in fact be enabled, cf #4654
- SSD Trim Enabler patch disabled

-------------------

Above are all the changes I've made that seem to have resolved the random KP issue. Now @AnaktuvGod is getting the same random KPs, and from what we know about his config we can eliminate some of the above changes (i.e. he did a fresh install from 10.3.2 (17C2120), used HFS+, doesn't have any DSDT replacements, doesn't use ACPISensors.kext). So from the list of changes that could have contributed to resolving the issue we can mark the following as potential contributing factors to check:

- Clover r4392
- Compiled latest AptioMemoryFix.efi (instead of OsxAptioFix3Drv-64.efi) and placed it in Clover's drivers64UEFI folder
- Compiled and Patched (to have per Core multiplier and frequency) the latest FakeSMC from https://github.com/kozlek/HWSensors
- SSD Trim Enabler patch disabled

I believe what should be checked first is to upgrade CLover to r4392. I don't think SSD Trim Enabler is relevant. The other 2 changes remain to be validated.

Hope this helps. I'm still currently monitoring my uptime. It's not impossible that within a few hours I get a system freeze which would prove that none of the above changes solved anything. But so far, I've never been able to run my system for more than 24h, so I'm confident.

EDIT: Added more accurate info to DSDT changes.

Last edited:
These are not devices, you won't find these in ioreg, these are methods of devices. You find these in your dsdt and ssdts. These should not be disabled.

Thanks, I didn't know that! I'll check my DSDT. :) That'll be the next change I make after I finish testing that random KPs are gone with the current config.

Edit: Yep, found them in my DSDT.aml, now everything makes sense with what's written in the guide.

Last edited:
So, @kgp I can report that as of 10.13.3, the Asus XG-C100C 10 GBE card works natively in MacOS in my X99-A II. The only problem I had was I needed a Category 6A certified cable. Once I plugged in the right cable, it came right up and connected as 10GB. I use the intelmausi ethernet kext for my 1 GB built-in card, and I didn't have to add any other kexts. Just plug and play.

As this is a X299 thread, it is not an exact fit for X299 owners, but as others have used this card and the Gigabyte 10 GBE card successfully on other platforms (the 8700k, for instance), I am sure that someone will try this 10GB card on the X299 platform soon, and my guess is that as long as you have the right cable (and 10.13.3, that is critical!), it will work!

If you're interested in the 10GBE thread, you can access it here: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...-for-10gb-ethernet.239690/page-6#post-1682101

So, @kgp I can report that as of 10.13.3, the Asus XG-C100C 10 GBE card works natively in MacOS in my X99-A II. The only problem I had was I needed a Category 6A certified cable. Once I plugged in the right cable, it came right up and connected as 10GB. I use the intelmausi ethernet kext for my 1 GB built-in card, and I didn't have to add any other kexts. Just plug and play.

As this is a X299 thread, it is not an exact fit for X299 owners, but as others have used this card and the Gigabyte 10 GBE card successfully on other platforms (the 8700k, for instance), I am sure that someone will try this 10GB card on the X299 platform soon, and my guess is that as long as you have the right cable (and 10.13.3, that is critical!), it will work!

If you're interested in the 10GBE thread, you can access it here: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...-for-10gb-ethernet.239690/page-6#post-1682101

Brilliant @mm2margaret :headbang: Your finding will certainly also have impact in the X299 community :thumbup:

Great job :thumbup:

All,
Anyone care to assist with a few newbie questions? I appreciate your patience
When updating Clover, I'm unsure about what I really need to set as a custom install or is the standard better?
My M2 (main drive) has a weird naming convention, I get the idea of APFS containers, but the disk numbers in Clover don't align with what I see in Disk utility. There is a FAT32 in the main container that has the EFI for booting.

FWIW I haven't been having sleep/wake issues when I force sleep thru Finder with latest OS/GPU update.

You folks are really fantastic, this has been quite an interesting challenge. I enjoy the discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back