Contribute
Register

How to build your own iMac Pro [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
New EFI-Folder Distribution EFI-X299-10.13.3-Release-iMacPro1,1-300118.zip implemented in and attached to the originating post of this thread (guide)

EFi-Folder related changes:
  • xcpm_core_scope_msrs © Pike R. Alpha again enabled by default
  • minor additional bugfixes in config.plist
The new EFI-Folder is once more attached here below.

Enjoy and have fun :thumbup:

kgp.png

Attachments

• EFI-X299-10.13.3-Release-iMacPro1,1-300118.zip
    19.2 MB · Views: 103
So @izo1 after some more diggin in tonymac and other forums and I've gotten some good info in regards to where I'm gonna go with onboard wifi.

http://forum.osxlatitude.com/index....-of-supported-and-unsupported-wireless-cards/

Looks like AzureWave AW-CB160H, AzureWave AW-CE123H & Dell DW1550. All these are half-mini pcie cards that should fit well inside the GO! modules. The Dell and the CE123H requires a little extra help to get recongnized but the CB160H should be OOB... Problem with that is it will require new types of wires and I dont know how that will fare for me with a nice neat setup in that area. I actually believe i have an AzureWave AW-CE123H inside one of my older laptops or builds... if so, I will give it a crack and keep you posted on progress. I know you already purchased the m.2 ngff but just make sure you get a nice adapter for it...you may require some cutting but I guess we will find out once you receive your shipment.

Good to know.
If I'm gonna have to cut parts, I probably won't do it. I'd rather not do mods like that unless it fits perfectly.

It would be nice to just have an OOB experience without any patches, though that fits perfectly into this little box.

Note that with SMBIOS iMacPro1,1 the Nvidia Black Screen prevention has become obsolete. Thanks for the finding by @fabiosun from InsanelyMac.

Thus, NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext can be removed from the /EFI/Clover/kexts/Other/ directory of your macOS USB Flash Drive Installer and 10.13 System Disk!

Enjoy and have fun,

View attachment 309578

@Ramalama, how can we fix the erroneous display resolution during web driver load and at login screen, when using your EDID profile for the 38" LG?
I have webdriver 106 from 17C2205 patched for 17D2047, since maxwell cards work better this way. Can I still remove NvidiaGraphicsFixup? What about Lilu, can I remove that too?

I think it is an m.2, check the image here:
https://media.nbb-cdn.de/images/products/320000/329584/ASUS_ROG_Rampage_VI_Extreme_03.jpg?size=2800

The other benefit of using the onboard a+e keyed m.2 slot is that you can turn the wifi/bt module on/off from the bios.

Thank you so much for this. I was this close in purchasing a half-mini pcie. This helps a lot.

Dell DW1830 NGFF M.2 - BCM43602 - A/B/G/N/AC
This is what it's looking like for me. @izo1 ... Looks like you got the right one coming your way. :thumbup:

I have webdriver 106 from 17C2205 patched for 17D2047, since maxwell cards work better this way. Can I still remove NvidiaGraphicsFixup? What about Lilu, can I remove that too?

Of course you can also remove NvidiaGraphicsFixup with the patched Web Driver as long your remain with SMBIOS iMacPro1.1. If you do not use AppleALC.kext, you can also remove Lilu.kext.

Cheers,

KGP

hi, during installation of osx 10.13.3 I have find some problem.

my buid is:
x299 msi sli plus
i7 7820x
nvidia gt 1030
nvme ssd evo 960 pro
2 ssd sata

I want install the os on nvme ssd, but sometimes no boot. The pc reboot when arrives to "com.apple.install.cd" execution. watch this pic "https://ibb.co/djYbG6"

after 1min of attempts the system installation boot. I format in apsf the nvme and install the system, just the processbar is full the pc shutdown and Clover no show nvme disk for complete the installation.

Just once Clover showen the nvme disk install and every attempts I have done the pc reboot with "11 min remaining". Why?

my efi: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1AVJ8BmVPWkFANNE-Ob6Q595DlPZrleiQ/view

thanks for help me

Hi Nicola:

You are the guy in Insanelymac that also posted the same issue in my thread. Since you have the same motherboard and processor than me, I can try to help, but I already answered on the other forum:

Your config.plist is a mess. You have lots of patches active. You also have a DSDT and too many kexts. You also have kexts in 10.13 and in Other. This is too many variables to debug.

And now that I know you have 7820x, your voodootscsync is wrong, you need to put 15 there, not 11, since you have a 8 core/16 thread CPU.

Also, this thread is about iMacPro1,1, not about iMac18,3. If you try to follow the guide here (ignoring the stuff that is not for your hardware), then you get more help. Just opening your zip file to tell you things that are simply explained in the guide is a waste of our time...

@interferenc,

I did some tests with your BIOS firmware patches.

In fact and surprisingly it turns out that your third patch seems absolutely mandatory:

Code:
# Patch string format
# FileGuid SectionType PatchType:FindPatternOrOffset:ReplacePattern 
# Please ensure that the latest symbol in patch string is space

# Possible section types:
#  PE32 image                    10
#  Position-independent code     11
#  TE Image                      12
#  DXE Dependency                13
#  Version information           14
#  User interface string         15
#  16-bit code                   16
#  Guided freeform               18
#  Raw data                      19
#  PEI Dependency                1B
#  SMM Dependency                1C
# Please do not try another section types, it can make the resulting image broken

# Possible patch types:
#  P - pattern-based, first parameter is a pattern to find, second - a pattern to replace
#  O - offset-based, first parameter is hexadecimal offset, second - a pattern to replace
# Patterns can have . as "any possible value" symbol

#----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
# OSX CPU Power Management patches
# Remove lock from MSR 0xE2 register
#----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

# PpmInitialize | Skylake X 
3FFCAE95-23CF-4967-94F5-16352F68E43B 10 P:0FBAE80F:0FBAE00F

As you can see, I removed all other patches implemented in patches.txt.

bdmesg reveals now:

Code:
0:101  0:000  MSR 0xE2 before patch 00000402
0:101  0:000  MSR 0xCE              00070C2C_F3011A00
0:101  0:000  MSR 0x1B0             00000000

and ./voltageshift read 0xe2 reveals:

Code:
RDMSR e2 returns value 0x8402

BIOS seems unlocked...

When using firmware patch 1 or 2, the BIOS remains locked. Also if one uses both of them. The only patch really unlocking the BIOS seems firmware patch 3. Firmware patch 1 and 2 seem not required.

Can you confirm?

Nevertheless, xcpm_core_scope_msrs © Pike R. Alpha still seems mandatory to avoid Error E3 and KP at Wake.

I also continue facing PWR Fan issues after wake.

Could you please comment on that?

Thanks in advance and cheers,

KGP

PpmInitialize sets the lock on the register first.

The other two patches (one for kabylake-x, one for skylake-x) enforces the unlocked state. So if you only use the third patch, the bios will not lock the msr, BUT THE KERNEL COULD (I don't think it will, but it could). Or any kext, in fact. All it has to do is write a value with bit 15 set. These two patches make sure that whenever the msr 0xE2 is written it stays in an unlocked state. You are right in saying these are not mandatory, however, I believe this is safer this way.

Allright, I see.

Nevertheless any idea how to circumvent xcpm_core_scope_msrs © Pike R? Or any idea what could be the reason why we still need it for successful wake from sleep?

Any idea about my PWR Fan issue after wake from sleep?

Why do you say that the link does not work if it works? Just verified it..
Soory but a download doesn´t start. I just get a screen of what is probably inside the file but I don´t know what to do with it. This is exactly what happens when I use the link

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-01-30 at 11.05.29.png
    Screen Shot 2018-01-30 at 11.05.29.png
    342 KB · Views: 129
Soory but a download doesn´t start. I just get a screen of what is probably inside the file but I don´t know what to do with it. This is exactly what happens when I use the link

How do you use the links? You should copy all curl commands and drop them into a terminal. Is this what you are doing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back