Contribute
Register

How to build your own iMac Pro [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anybody willing to do Sleep/Wake Tests?

It seems that @Matthew82 from InsanelyMac found some workaround for the sleep/wake problem (Error E3 on Wake)

The workaround consists of the following:

1.) Add again a XCPM KernelToPatch entry to the config.plist in Section "Kernel and Kext Patches" of Clover Configurator (which I partly dislike as we just got rid of all XCPM patches):

Code:
Find* [Hex]                   Replace* [Hex]                 Comment

be030000 0031d2e8 72fcffff    be030000 0031d290 90909090     xcpm_idle patch by PikeAlpha

2.) Download, unzip and copy the SSDT-XHCI-Sleep.aml attached below (which I adopted to work with XHCI instead of XHC1) to the /EFI/Clover/ACPI/patched/ folder in the EFI-partition of your system disk. You can use it in line with the SSDT-X299-iMacPro.aml.

Sleep/wake should now work again after reboot.

Warning! I witness problems with my RPW Fans after wake, which seem not to behave as expected (sporadic dropouts and irregular rpms after wake). Carefully watch your system and especially the CPU frequencies, power and temps in IPG after wake when doing this sleep/wake test! Yet you could severely damage your system if you are careless. Don't leave your system unwatched.

Please provide your feedback and if possible further fruitful ideas how to proceed in this issue.

kgp.png

Edit: Simplified version of SSDT-XHCI-Sleep.aml for XHCI once more attached blow.

Attachments

• SSDT-XHCI-Sleep.aml.zip
    1.3 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
@svaughan17 : Could you provide full System specs first?

CPU/GPU etc
My bad.

Gigabyte AROUS 1080 8GB
32gb G.Skill DDR4 3200
i7 7800x
ASUS TUF X299 Mark 2 mobo
NVMe m.2 256gb 960 Evo

See section E.10) of my guide - System Overview CPU cosmetics..

KGP, of course ... you have quoted me indicating that I looked at section E.10 and I have made it very clear that I read it and also indicate it in a previous post mentioning section E.10 explicitly.

In your defense, we say that we are many asked and learning and you end up crazy, the strange thing would be that over time you do not end up needing psychiatric treatment.:lol:

I have already solved it and I have something to contribute to your guide and that I think you should add in section E.10.

It turns out that it must be in the folder of the language that corresponds to the user, in section E.10 you only indicate the route with the terminal to the folder English.lproj, in my case I am Spanish and obviously I have the language in Spanish. tried to add the specification of my CPU in AppleSystemInfo.strings but in the folder Spanish.lproj and after restarting perfect ... it already appears in about this mac

Note that I was "unknown" in Spanish and the AppleSystemInfo.strings in the Spanish.lproj folder also included the CPU section as "unknown" in Spanish, which ... it was logical and it was that simple the solution.

For that same logic the person who has OSX in French will have to change AppleSystemInfo.strings with TextWrangler but in the folder French.lproj.

I've looked very well in section E.10 and I guess you'll agree with me I'll add it to the guide to clarify it to people who make their installations in different languages.

Does anyone have the ACER 38 inch display?

Or the Dell 38 inch with 3840x1600 ?

Im working on nightshift, have already working but not perfect enough for the community.

Cheers :)

KGP, of course ... you have quoted me indicating that I looked at section E.10 and I have made it very clear that I read it and also indicate it in a previous post mentioning section E.10 explicitly.

In your defense, we say that we are many asked and learning and you end up crazy, the strange thing would be that over time you do not end up needing psychiatric treatment.:lol:

I have already solved it and I have something to contribute to your guide and that I think you should add in section E.10.

It turns out that it must be in the folder of the language that corresponds to the user, in section E.10 you only indicate the route with the terminal to the folder English.lproj, in my case I am Spanish and obviously I have the language in Spanish. tried to add the specification of my CPU in AppleSystemInfo.strings but in the folder Spanish.lproj and after restarting perfect ... it already appears in about this mac

Note that I was "unknown" in Spanish and the AppleSystemInfo.strings in the Spanish.lproj folder also included the CPU section as "unknown" in Spanish, which ... it was logical and it was that simple the solution.

For that same logic the person who has OSX in French will have to change AppleSystemInfo.strings with TextWrangler but in the folder French.lproj.

I've looked very well in section E.10 and I guess you'll agree with me I'll add it to the guide to clarify it to people who make their installations in different languages.

Yes sir, you are totally right! One thing I did not think about at all. I will add this important detail tomorrow.

Thanks man, your feedback is more than appreciated!

Edit: Section E.10) updated correspondingly - Important advise added!

Last edited:
Does anyone have the ACER 38 inch display?

Or the Dell 38 inch with 3840x1600 ?

Im working on nightshift, have already working but not perfect enough for the community.

Cheers :)
I have the LG version.
From what I understand Nightshift will not work as Apple recognises the monitor as a TV. This is only because of the '3840' resolution which is associated with 4K televisions. I have tried running a custom EDID profile on the monitor of '3839' pixels and Nightshift appears. This proves that to have nightshift natively, the resolution cannot be '3840'. I have tried reaching out to Apple to change this silly MacOS assumption with no luck.

There is already a fix (FixEDID) which spoofs the display to be a Thunderbolt Display.
Here is my discussion.

Personally I have been using f.lux and its working perfectly. I also enabled automatic transitions and the end result is exactly like NightShift just not native.

If you end up using FixEDID ensure that whenever you do any changes to the X299 SSDT relating to the GPU (eg. PEGP -> GFX1, PEG1 -> GFX0 etc) you regenerate a new modified kext.

Hopefully Apple can resolve this silly issue sometime

Thanks to you KGP, without you we would not enjoy this Hardware-Software comunion.

It gives satisfaction to be able to contribute even a little.

Anybody willing to do Sleep/Wake Tests?

It seems that @Matthew82 from InsanelyMac found some workaround for the sleep/wake problem (Error E3 on Wake)

The workaround consists of the following:

1.) Add again a XCPM KernelToPatch entry to the config.plist in Section "Kernel and Kext Patches" of Clover Configurator (which I partly dislike as we just got rid of all XCPM patches):

Code:
Find* [Hex]                   Replace* [Hex]                 Comment

be030000 0031d2e8 72fcffff    be030000 0031d290 90909090     xcpm_idle patch by PikeAlpha

2.) Download, unzip and copy the SSDT-XHCI-Sleep.aml attached below (which I adopted to work with XHCI instead of XHC1) to the /EFI/Clover/ACPI/patched/ folder in the EFI-partition of your system disk. You can use it in line with the SSDT-X299-iMacPro.aml.

Sleep/wake should now work again after reboot.

Warning! I witness problems with my RPW Fans after wake, which seem not to behave as expected (sporadic dropouts and irregular rpms after wake). Carefully watch your system and especially the CPU frequencies, power and temps in IPG after wake when doing this sleep/wake test! Yet you could severely damage your system if you are careless. Don't leave your system unwatched.

Please provide your feedback and if possible further fruitful ideas how to proceed in this issue.

View attachment 307813

Edit: Simplified version of SSDT-XHCI-Sleep.aml for XHCI once more attached blow.
I can confirm I have random fan RPM occurrences. Sleep was working perfectly for me for multiple days by only using the XCPM patch. What immediately got my attention was that some fans connected to the MB were hardly spinning! I found this to be random as sometimes the fans were working normally and other times the fan would struggle to spin.

After this I connected all fans to my Silent Base Pro 900 fan controller and no more issues

EDIT: Anyone trying this ensure that you are at your computer while attempting this! Without using a fan controller your CPU fans could potentially stop and your CPU could as a result overheat! Also the fans could be damaged if they run consistently under their minimum RPM

@BJY1991 : Gigabyte should be unlocked...
Also thought first that the msr is locked on gigabyte boards but its definitely not, was also mentioned by some guys over here... First ones I heard it by @kgp if I remember correct.
Running successfully an X299 Designare EX which is unlocked.
Hi DSM2 i have a similar mainboard and i've problem to install the os, can u send me your efi folder to check if i can resolve?
thank you

I just wanted to double check. The BIOS editing (Step B1) is just to enable better power management, it isn't necessary for installation.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back