Contribute
Register

How to build your own iMac Pro [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
GPU benchmark results it is only a digits, man. issues like flickering or stuttering UI. it's related to all nvidia users with high resolution monitors based on NVIDIA card. hello.

GPU benchmark results it is only a digits, man. issues like flickering or stuttering UI. it's related to all nvidia users with high resolution monitors based on NVIDIA card. hello.

thats sounds like your driver isnt being loaded correctly. check the guide again.

first I don’t hate you.. about which Nvidia GPU are we talking about? That’s why I asked you to provide your system specs earlier. When you say that this card always worked 100% before, to which opartive system are you refering to? In the last couple of hours you reveived at least two detailed feedbacks about which Nvidia GPUs do work flawless even with 3 monitors under 10.13.2 with SMBIOS iMac17,1 and which don’t..

I really don’t know how to help you further at the moment..

this translation issue is killer!!!!!!! what language do you speak? (just out of curiosity)

what i was trying to say before is 3/5 ports work on the back of the card. not sure why 2 of them died.

ive gone ahead and updated my info.

This same exact physical card came from a haswell system, and then was put into an hp z820 (c612 platform which i believe is the same as x79). both machines were running 10.13.2 with all updated drivers (at the time)

The haswell system was on imac 14,2 (i believe)
and the hp system was on macpro 6,1

now all of a sudden on this machine with imac 17,1. 2 ports are broken on the video card.

I had the same problem but only if the cpu runs at 1.2 Ghz, if Cpu run higher the Slow and stuttering UI go away,

i run 2x 2K Display and 1x 21:9 3440 x 1440 Display

Last edited:

Absolutely no issues with the Gigabyte Aorus GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Waterforce WB 11GB Extreme Edition.

Your problem is not related to all Nvidia users, sorry. That's simply not true.

I had the same problem but only if the cpu runs at 1.2 Ghz, if Cpu run higher the Slow and stuttering UI go away,

i run 2x 2K Display and 1x 21:9 3440 x 1440 Display

Absolutely no issues with the Gigabyte Aorus GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Waterforce WB 11GB Extreme Edition and my i9-7980XE @1.2 Ghz Idle and 1.12 V CPU Core Voltage!

That seems to be a personal problem at your side. Please properly configure your system! There should not be any relation between GPU and CPU.

Cheers, KGP

this translation issue is killer!!!!!!! what language do you speak? (just out of curiosity)

what i was trying to say before is 3/5 ports work on the back of the card. not sure why 2 of them died.

ive gone ahead and updated my info.

This same exact physical card came from a haswell system, and then was put into an hp z820 (c612 platform which i believe is the same as x79). both machines were running 10.13.2 with all updated drivers (at the time)

The haswell system was on imac 14,2 (i believe)
and the hp system was on macpro 6,1

now all of a sudden on this machine with imac 17,1. 2 ports are broken on the video card.

You see @shael, each time you open a topic in your way, suddenly users pop up where nothing works, although other users and me myself repeatedly confirmed that everything works flawless.

I do understand that some people are simply not able to properly configure their system. What however bothers me is the catastrophic and offensive way, they transmit their personal problem, i.e. "my guide is faulty", "all Nvidia users are affected", etc.

Some people simply just seem not to be able to properly deal with their personal technical inabilities. Instead of asking for help, they inadequately offend or attack me, my guide, SMBIOS iMac17,1, hardware manufacturers, software manufacturers, etc. This is simply a no-go.

Now to your reply:

I speak fluently German (native), Englisch and Spanish. And there is also some rudimentary Italian.. :lol:

What is your native language?

I still do not know which Nvidia GPU you are talking about. Anyway now we know that 3 out of 5 ports properly work on your GPU. You have two monitors, so where is the problem?

Now you suddenly say that ALL ports are "broken" (I guess that should mean "are non-functional") on the video card when using SMBIOS iMac17,1 under 10.13.2 with Skylake-X/X299. Primarily, you reported that you do not face any issues with just one monitor connected to your GPU. Don't you see that even this statement is already totally contradicting itself?

In post #2760 you say: "on the x79 system the most current driver avail was 378.10.10.10.20.109 and the current one from nvidia is 378.10.10.10.25.102".. Thus we are not even talking about the same driver!

I just can confirm once more, that there should not be any issues with Nvidia GPU's when connecting up to two monitors!

Concerning 3 monitor implementations, @warphead clearly states the following in post #2765: "I had the same problem with my GTX 960 with 3 monitors black screen, then I tried it with a GTX 780ti, a GTX 980ti and a GTX 1060 the GTX 1060 works for me, the Kepler and maxwel card have not work for me with 3 monitors under 10.13.2"

@spyderfyre also reports success with the Nvidia 750 Ti in post #2780 below.

So please once more my intrinsic question: "WHICH NVIDIA GPU YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT?????"

If you do not provide your system specs, the entire discussion is totally useless and nobody is able to help...

So one last time I encourage you to provide your Skylake-X/X299 system specs in your profile or signature.

I will not further answer on your future replies, until these details are finally available.

Furthermore a comprehensive and detailed bug report will be absolutely mandatory to solve any apparent issue...

Cheers,

KGP

Last edited:
You see @shael, each time you open a topic in your way, suddenly users pop up where nothing works, although other users and me myself repeatedly confirmed that everything works flawless.

I do understand that some people are simply not able to properly configure their system. What however bothers me is the catastrophic and offensive way, they transmit their personal problem, i.e. "my guide is faulty", "all Nvidia users are affected", etc.

Some people simply just seem not to be able to properly deal with their personal technical inabilities. Instead of asking for help, they inadequately offend or attack me, my guide, SMBIOS iMac17,1, hardware manufacturers, software manufacturers, etc. This is simply a no-go.

Now to your reply:

I speak fluently German (native), Englisch and Spanish. And there is also some rudimentary Italian.. :lol:

What is your native language?

I still do not know which Nvidia GPU you are talking about. Anyway now we know that 3 out of 5 ports properly work on your GPU. You have two monitors, so where is the problem?

Now you suddenly say that ALL ports are "broken" (I guess that should mean "are non-functional") on the video card when using SMBIOS iMac17,1. Primarily, you reported that you do not face any issues with just one monitor connected to your GPU. Don't you see that even this statement is already totally contradicting itself?

In post #2760 you say: "on the x79 system the most current driver avail was 378.10.10.10.20.109 and the current one from nvidia is 378.10.10.10.25.102".. Thus we are not even talking about the same driver!

I just can confirm once more, that there should not be any issues with Nvidia GPU's when connecting up to two monitors!

Concerning 3 monitor implementations, @warphead clearly states the following in post #2765: "I had the same problem with my GTX 960 with 3 monitors black screen, then I tried it with a GTX 780ti, a GTX 980ti and a GTX 1060 the GTX 1060 works for me, the Kepler and maxwel card have not work for me with 3 monitors under 10.13.2"

So please once more my intrinsic question: "WHICH NVIDIA GPU YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT?????"

If you do not provide your system specs, the entire discussion is totally useless and nobody is able to help...

So one last time I encourage you to provide your Skylake-X/X299 system specs in your profile or signature.

I will not further answer on your future replies, until these details are finally available.

Cheers,

KGP

For the record as I read the back and forth I am letting you know that my 750 ti works flawlessly. No complaints here. I hope this helps whomever resolve their GPU issues.

Now, I do have a Radeon RX 560 that causes freezes when attempting to load videos in a browser. Not all the time but sometimes.

@kgp or anyone with knowledge of how to solve this issue: does anyone know of a solution as I believe that this is a Whatevergreen or Lilu issue not a guide issue? My system profile is the X299 in my signature.

Thank you in advance

Reactions: kgp
For the record as I read the back and forth I am letting you know that my 750 ti works flawlessly. No complaints here. I hope this helps whomever resolve their GPU issues.

Now, I do have a Radeon RX 560 that causes freezes when attempting to load videos in a browser. Not all the time but sometimes.

@kgp or anyone with knowledge of how to solve this issue: does anyone know of a solution as I believe that this is a Whatevergreen or Lilu issue not a guide issue? My system profile is the X299 in my signature.

Thank you in advance

I guess @DSM2 would be the most skilled person to address your Radeon RX 560 issue. I originally used a Radeon RX 560 2Gb GPU within my Skylake-X/X299 startup configuration. It just worked absolutely flawless with Whatevergreen.kext and Lilu.kext. If you face problems with Whatevergreen.kext v1.1.4 and Lilu.kext v1.2.1, try an older version of both kexts, although as far I remember, at least Lilu.kext v1.2.1 is absolutely mandatory for successfully booting 10.13.2.

I guess @DSM2 would be the most skilled person to address your Radeon RX 560 issue. I originally used a Radeon RX 560 2Gb GPU within my Skylake-X/X299 startup configuration. It just worked absolutely flawless with Whatevergreen.kext and Lilu.kext. If you face problems with Whatevergreen.kext v1.1.4 and Lilu.kext v1.2.1, try an older version of both kexts, although as far I remember, at least Lilu.kext v1.2.1 is absolutely mandatory for successfully booting 10.13.2.

You are absolutely correct about Lilu 1.2.1. Older versions of that one won’t allow 10.13.2 to work (at least that was my experience with it).

I used an older version of Whatevergreen and Lilu when I was running 10.13.1 and the problem still existed then so maybe in the next version of either or both. Until then I have to continue to use my system without videos (editing and watching) unless I go buy a Vega 64 you.

I know I’m not alone because some users expressed the same issue with other Radeon cards. I found an article when adding -rad4200 bootflag with the latest version of Whatevergreen (1.1.3) should fix the issue. But no luck here.

If anyone else finds a solution please do share you fix.

Thank you all in advance!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back