Contribute
Register

How to build your own iMac Pro [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Asus X299 Deluxe, 7820x, Radeon Vega Frontier Edition. Still trying to work out the cause.

I had sudden reboots with the 7820X on a MSI. The cause was incorrect auto voltage in the BIOS. I fixed the core voltage at 1.20V and now the reboots are gone.

It was very helpful to find a way to reproduce the reboots. Prime95 caused a reboot in Windows and Geekbench did the same on the Mac. With the fixed voltage, everything is fine, I ran Pime95 full test (8 hours) with no issues.

This is on a different MB then yours, so it might not apply. However, I suggest you try this.

Reactions: kgp
Yes, I have this problem. No, it's not because of your display configuration. Sudden reboots, usually with USB keyboard or mouse activity. Asus X299 Deluxe, 7820x, Radeon Vega Frontier Edition. Still trying to work out the cause.

Please updated your profile or signature and provide your Skylake-X,X299 mobo, CPU and GPU specifications!

Thanks,

KGP

@TheOfficialGypsy , @Ramalama

one of you guys mentioned that the External NVMe Icon patch KextToPatch entry is working again with the most recent clover version. I am unable to find the related post. Can you just once more provide the respective details?

Thanks,

KGP

@TheOfficialGypsy ,

the AppleALC approach does not work with AppleALC.kext 1.2.0! The System becomes totally unbootable!

Now, AppleALC.kext v1.1.3 does not work with Lilu.kext v1.2.0 and thus we are left with a totally messed up AppleALC audio configuration!

Any insides?

Did you already establish a ssdt for Nvidia HDMI/DP digital audio output?

I would appreciate your quick reply!

Cheers,

KGP

Last edited:
@TheOfficialGypsy , @Ramalama

one of you guys mentioned that the External NVMe Icon patch KextToPatch entry is working again with the most recent clover version. I am unable to find the related post. Can you just once more provide the respective details?

Thanks,

KGP
Im not using external icon patch or trim...
Or any of the piker kernel patches.
That's all working oob for me.

At least on 10.13.1
As far i remember it worked on 10.13 oob without patches too.

I can upload my clover folder later, not at home right now, so you can check yourself my changes...

@ALL
Why are you using lilu...
Im using still the old good way with toleda for audio and everything else can be done with ssdts...

Cheers:)

Please updated your profile or signature and provide your Skylake-X,X299 mobo, CPU and GPU specifications!

Thanks,

KGP

Thanks for the reminder. Great guide overall, KGP, and again thanks. FWIW, it appears that OsxAptioFix2Drv does not work with the 7820x.

I had sudden reboots with the 7820X on a MSI. The cause was incorrect auto voltage in the BIOS. I fixed the core voltage at 1.20V and now the reboots are gone.

It was very helpful to find a way to reproduce the reboots. Prime95 caused a reboot in Windows and Geekbench did the same on the Mac. With the fixed voltage, everything is fine, I ran Pime95 full test (8 hours) with no issues.

This is on a different MB then yours, so it might not apply. However, I suggest you try this.

It's worth a try, thanks! I'm using the "sync all cores" ASUS feature at present as well, and I know this causes fairly high core temps at 4500 MHz, even with my rather extreme cooling setup. So far most of my reboots have been at near idle levels of activity, so I'm not sure we're comparing Apples and Oranges.

There is one more thing....

View attachment 284451

Yes, Same Stuff!

So I'm just busying this week KGP. I saw you update the main guide and EFI folder. That must helpful to my build and unlock the XCPM! Thanks!!!!!
BTW when I boot from my 960Pro it was slower than a 850EVO. Looks like when I boot the system was trying to search for something. I'll show you later what's the line.

Im not using external icon patch or trim...
Or any of the piker kernel patches.
That's all working oob for me.

At least on 10.13.1
As far i remember it worked on 10.13 oob without patches too.

I can upload my clover folder later, not at home right now, so you can check yourself my changes...

@ALL
Why are you using lilu...
Im using still the old good way with toleda for audio and everything else can be done with ssdts...

Cheers:)

Just to clarify, when talking about 10.13.1 we are addressing the Supplementary Update (SU), which is not 10.13.1, I guess?

I just checked your following statements:

1.) The external NVMe icon is indeed fixed in SU and does not require any further patching! Thus, @TheOfficialGypsy, it is not
that the NVMe External Icon patch works again with the latest Clover distribution, it is simply the fact that also the latter patch is not required anymore with SU to fix the external NVMe Icon! Apple apparently fixed this bug within the latest macOS High Sierra distribution.​

2.) I cannot confirm that TRIM is enabled for SSDs natively or OoB, not even under macOS 10.13 SU!! One still requires the
respective KextToPatch entry to make SSD Trim work!​

3.) To me the patching of the native AppleHDA.kext appears as something that should be avoided in any case. Despite this
personal taste, I was never successful in implementing CloverALC of toleda on my ASUS Prime X299 Deluxe.. or do you refer to his RealtekALC approach?

In any case, if you can come up with an additional functional audio guideline, we can implement the latter as a third optional audio approach in the originating post of this thread/guide. Any fruitful and helpful ideas are highly welcome. For my personal taste also, the VoodooHDA.kext approach is more than sufficient and works 100% verified.
4.) One likely stupid question at the end: With @ALL one address all users following the particular thread? Or what is the exact
meaning of this implementation ?
Cheers,
KGP

Thanks for the reminder. Great guide overall, KGP, and again thanks. FWIW, it appears that OsxAptioFix2Drv does not work with the 7820x.

What do you mean by "OsxAptioFix2Drv does not work with the 7820x"????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back