CPU
i9-7980XE
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
iMac, MacBook Pro, Mac mini
Mobile Phone
iOS
Ok, thanks! But it's more "compatible" than i9 / X299?
I would not know what one would miss in case one opts for Skylake-X/X299. I see only advantages..

Why one should want to exactly reproduce all disadvantages of a real iMacPro?

More unlogical questions of this kind at your side? ;)

Motherboard
Asus X299 Prime Deluxe
CPU
i9-7960x
Graphics
Vega 56
Hi @kgp,

I know it's not recommended to use the RX 560 but that's what I currently have.

My question is regarding the SSDT - should I remove the BR2A Vega entry completely, or should I edit the name and device ID and leave it in?

It appears to work both ways, but with the edited entry, I seem to get periodic freezes that would not show up in Diagnostics Reports. The system would be completely frozen, but I could still move my mouse, but nothing else. This happens very rarely, but it would always be upon loading a video in Chrome.

I know that's not the graphics card you are using, but I figured I should ask.

Thank you and anyone that can chime in!

kgp

Retired
Motherboard
ASUS WS X299 Sage 10G
CPU
i9-7980XE
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
iMac, MacBook Pro, Mac mini
Mobile Phone
iOS
Hi @kgp,

My question is regarding the SSDT - should I remove the BR2A Vega entry completely, or should I edit the name and device ID and leave it in?

It appears to work both ways, but with the edited entry, I seem to get periodic freezes that would not show up in Diagnostics Reports. The system would be completely frozen, but I could still move my mouse, but nothing else. This happens very rarely, but it would always be upon loading a video in Chrome.

I guess at least you would have to remove the Vega 64 load table, isn't it? And depending on your slot configuration, you properly might have to adopt ACPI path, ACPI replacements or at least all GPU and HDAU PCI properties different from the Vega 64 or Frontier.

Motherboard
ASUS WS X299 SAGE/10G
CPU
i9-9980XE
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
Ok, thanks! But it's more "compatible" than i9 / X299?
You're better off buying a real iMac Pro on sale somewhere or refurbished from the Apple store if you want to go this route.

No Hackintosh is as stable as a real Mac. Ever. There is just too many variables in a Hackintosh situation and too much troubleshooting to get it to 100% "compatibility"

The point of this guide is to:

1) Buiild a clone of the iMac Pro using more cost effective parts
2) Customization and ability to modify your system on the fly
3) Maybe have some fun while doing it

If you truly want to use workstation parts like Xeons and ECC memory, you're better off moving to Windows or like I said buying a real iMac Pro or waiting for 2019 Mac Pro.

Motherboard
ASUS WS X299 SAGE/10G
CPU
i9-9980XE
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
Hi @kgp,

Can you buy a Vega 64? You spent all this money on a high end HEDT system and want to save money on the GPU...

The RX5x0 cards are better suited for the more consumer grade Coffee Lake CPUs, since they have iGPUs.

We've talked about this a lot, but there is something macOS does under the hood that hooks the RX5x0 cards and iGPU together for non iMac Pro SMBIOS....so you'd be better off either:

1) Getting a Vega 64
2) Switching to iMac SMBIOS (Forgot which the latest was).

Motherboard
Asus X299 Prime Deluxe
CPU
i9-7960x
Graphics
Vega 56
Can you buy a Vega 64? You spent all this money on a high end HEDT system and want to save money on the GPU...

The RX5x0 cards are better suited for the more consumer grade Coffee Lake CPUs, since they have iGPUs.

We've talked about this a lot, but there is something macOS does under the hood that hooks the RX5x0 cards and iGPU together for non iMac Pro SMBIOS....so you'd be better off either:

1) Getting a Vega 64
2) Switching to iMac SMBIOS (Forgot which the latest was).
I can, but the only reason I am saving on the GPU is that I'm using my machine for music production so graphics are minimally important - or so I think.

But all of this is compelling to think about so I will have to consider it.

Reactions: kgp
Motherboard
ASUS WS X299 SAGE/10G
CPU
i9-9980XE
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
I can, but the only reason I am saving on the GPU is that I'm using my machine for music production so graphics are minimally important - or so I think.

But all of this is compelling to think about so I will have to consider it.
How about a Vega 56? There seems to be some sales going around if you're in the U.S.

RX560 in general is not on any desktop Mac like the iMac....maybe give RX570/RX580 a try, you might have less issues.

Motherboard
ASUS WS X299 SAGE/10G
CPU
i9-9980XE
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
Update on Premiere Pro CC2018 Export Crash:

Based on @NWSnowBum's recommendation on changing AVX offset in BIOS....it didn't help...only to a certain degree.

So now, using H264 exporter with Hardware Acceleration enabled (which uses Vega) I was able to export further down the timeline, but system still froze.

Anyway, this seems 100% related to Adobe + Apple.

Screen Shot 2018-09-01 at 2.25.51 PM.png

Motherboard
ASUS Prime X299 Deluxe
CPU
i9 7940X
Graphics
GTX 960
Mac
iMac
I would not know what one would miss in case one opts for Skylake-X/X299. I see only advantages..

Why one should want to exactly reproduce all disadvantages of a real iMacPro?

More unlogical questions of this kind at your side? ;)

I assumed that there could be less patch with native components?

Anyway, I think I will follow your guide with a i9, it seems to be the perfect combo power/cost ;)

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.