CPU
i9-9980XE
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
I did use Metal on my last encode with Media Encoder. It worked fine other than Media Encoder hanging after it was finished encoding. A force quit took care of that.

I do not have Shiki.kext installed. Are you asking because you think I ought to have it installed, or to make sure I don't have it installed as it could be causing problems?
This is a known issue with the iMac Pro and most likely related to the Vega FE we are both using and the official iMac Pro is using.

Read all the complaints here:
https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2453329

People are seeing full system hangs. Even with Metal.

As far as Shiki, I was just curious to see if you are using it, if not then you don't need it. I use it, but I tried without it and same issues.

I'm hoping it will be fixed in CC2019. You should email Adobe support to fix this, I have a few times already.

Maybe switch to Software Only in AME for now? It's slower, but at least it doesn't hang.

BTW, are you using more than 1 monitor?

I use dual 27" Apple Cinema Displays at 2560x1440 it may be related to dual monitors....

Last edited:
Motherboard
Asus Prime x299 Deluxe
CPU
i9-7900x
Graphics
Radeon Vega Frontier Edition
This is a known issue with the iMac Pro and most likely related to the Vega FE we are both using and the official iMac Pro is using.

Read all the complaints here:
https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2453329

People are seeing full system hangs. Even with Metal.

As far as Shiki, I was just curious to see if you are using it, if not then you don't need it. I use it, but I tried without it and same issues.

I'm hoping it will be fixed in CC2019. You should email Adobe support to fix this, I have a few times already.

Maybe switch to Software Only in AME for now? It's slower, but at least it doesn't hang.

BTW, are you using more than 1 monitor?

I use dual 27" Apple Cinema Displays at 2560x1440 it may be related to dual monitors....
Thanks for the link regarding Premiere issues!
I've been using a Windows machine to encode. With a 8086k running Windows 10 it is able to encode faster than my hackintosh with a 7900x. I can only hope Adobe makes some progress on both stability and performance.

I am using 3 Benq pd3200u monitors.

Motherboard
ASUS Prime X299 Deluxe
CPU
i9-7940X
Graphics
GTX 1070 + GTX 1080 + RX 580
Yet I am missing a post with a respective code snippet published for the i9-7940X to be linked within my guide, as @4min only uploaded IOREG snapshots of the resulting PRxx CPU thread implementation ..
What's wrong with the post #9896?

Motherboard
ASUS WS X299 SAGE/10G
CPU
i9-9980XE
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
Thanks for the link regarding Premiere issues!
I've been using a Windows machine to encode. With a 8086k running Windows 10 it is able to encode faster than my hackintosh with a 7900x. I can only hope Adobe makes some progress on both stability and performance.

I am using 3 Benq pd3200u monitors.
Premiere/AME works way better under Windows and a CUDA enabled Quadro (or a 1080Ti/Titan Xp)...it just does.

Also your 8086 (aka better binned 8700k) has an Intel iGPU, which latest editions of Premiere/AME takes advantage of (note the Hardware option now available under AME).

The real iMac Pro or even the x299 Hackintosh does not have an iGPU and a 8700k will beat H264 encoding on any competing machine.

I have a question for you, could you disconnect ALL your monitors and try what you're doing with a single monitor?

I'm going to test this on my end as well.

I have noticed that my system the way it is, if I export straight to another codec and not H264, like ProRes 422 HQ or some other codec that's NOT H264, the machine will never hang. It's definitely macOS/Adobe/Vega related.

I had never had a crash in my previous 6700k Hackintosh during encodes to H264...

kgp

Retired
Motherboard
ASUS WS X299 Sage 10G
CPU
i9-7980XE
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
iMac, MacBook Pro, Mac mini
Mobile Phone
iOS
What's wrong with the post #9896?
In fact I was referring to post #9893..

You implemented an IOREG screenshot of the resulting i9-7940X PRxx thread implementation, but you only referred to a directory for the respective code snippet.

Would you be so kind to add the i9-7940X code snippet directly in post #9893, thus later on I can directly refer to it within my guide in post 1?

Code:
Please implement code snippet this way..

thanks

Last edited:
Motherboard
ASUS X299 WS SAGE
CPU
INTEL CORE I9 7940X
Graphics
EVGA GTX 1080 Ti
Mac
MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
Android
@kgp
I replace my 1080ti for an RX580 to test final cut pro as my 1080 ti was having issues with that software. I installed the RX580, but its choppy and not recognized in about this mac. Please help!

kgp

Retired
Motherboard
ASUS WS X299 Sage 10G
CPU
i9-7980XE
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
iMac, MacBook Pro, Mac mini
Mobile Phone
iOS
@kgp
I replace my 1080ti for an RX580 to test final cut pro as my 1080 ti was having issues with that software. I installed the RX580, but its choppy and not recognized in about this mac. Please help!
If possible return and change to e.g. Nitro+ Vega 64

Motherboard
ASUS X299 WS SAGE
CPU
INTEL CORE I9 7940X
Graphics
EVGA GTX 1080 Ti
Mac
MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
Android
If possible return and change to e.g. Nitro+ Vega 64
I could do that, but first i need to see if it works with mentioned software. If it works, i will exchange it for the Nitro. I need to know how to make this one works and not conflicting with nvidia. Btw, thanks for replying.

Reactions: kgp
Motherboard
Asus Prime X299 Deluxe
CPU
i9-7940X
Graphics
2x Vega 56
Mac
iMac, Mac mini
Mobile Phone
iOS
I have a Sapphire Radeon nitro+ RX580 SE works without any problem.
Loloflat6_RX580.png

Reactions: kgp
Status
Not open for further replies.