CPU
Intel i9 7940X
Graphics
Asus Rog 1080 Ti GTX
Mac
iMac, MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
@kgp I'm a bit confused, what's the go with the thread ordering code you and @4min have been deliberating? Should I be implementing this for my 7940X processor? What are the advantages? Cheers pal.

kgp

Retired
Motherboard
ASUS WS X299 Sage 10G
CPU
i9-7980XE
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
iMac, MacBook Pro, Mac mini
Mobile Phone
iOS
@kgp I'm a bit confused, what's the go with the thread ordering code you and @4min have been deliberating? Should I be implementing this for my 7940X processor? What are the advantages? Cheers pal.
I am currently collecting CPxx->PRxx ACPI replacement code snippets for the different Skylake-X CPUs, which can be manually implemented in the config.plist by means of a text editor.

Yet I am missing a post with a respective code snippet published for the i9-7940X to be linked within my guide, as @4min only uploaded IOREG snapshots of the resulting PRxx CPU thread implementation ..

His code for automatically implementing the CPxx->PRxx ACPI replacements up to know is not of big help, if somebody already uses a fully pre-configured custom config.plist.. However you can edit his resulting starter config.plist and copy & paste the CPxx->PRxx ACPI replacement snippet to your config.plist, always provided that his replacements are correct...

Note in any case, that up to now the CPxx->PRxx ACPI replacements are purely cosmetic and do not necessarily have to be implemented.

I hope this helps...

KGP

Motherboard
ASUS PRIME X299 DELUXE
CPU
Intel i9 7940X
Graphics
Asus Rog 1080 Ti GTX
Mac
iMac, MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
@kgp thanks for clarifying mate, very helpful.

Motherboard
ASUS X299 PRIME DELUXE
CPU
i7-7820X
Graphics
ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 8GB
Mac
MacBook Pro
However, what I am not able to follow is why most of you insist in using outdated USB2.0 and USB3.0 ports.. By employing the USB3.1 Type-A and Type-C ports (which are backwards compatible with USB2.0 and USB3.0 devices), the sleep/wake ejection issue of USB devices can be entirely removed.
Oh, that's interesting, did I overlook that?
Which USB device on which port does work without sleep/wake ejection?

For test purposes I bought a SanDisk USB 3.1 (I think...) Type C pendrive,
but it was ejected the same way as all other devices when it was plugged into the rear USB-C port of the ASUS Prime Deluxe motherboard.
:eek:
In IOReg it was activated as one of the SS0x ports (I forgot which and am away from my machine for one week.)

Did I misunderstand something?

Thanks in advance :thumbup:

kgp

Retired
Motherboard
ASUS WS X299 Sage 10G
CPU
i9-7980XE
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
iMac, MacBook Pro, Mac mini
Mobile Phone
iOS
Oh, that's interesting, did I overlook that?
Which USB device on which port does work without sleep/wake ejection?

For test purposes I bought a SanDisk USB 3.1 (I think...) Type C pendrive,
but it was ejected the same way as all other devices when it was plugged into the rear USB-C port of the ASUS Prime Deluxe motherboard.
:eek:
In IOReg it was activated as one of the SS0x ports (I forgot which and am away from my machine for one week.)

Did I misunderstand something?

Thanks in advance :thumbup:
Well I am unable to check this now as I do have sleep/wake practically disabled on my system due to my SSDT-9.aml constructions..

But I do not remember that I ever faced USB ejection issues during sleep on the USB3.1 controllers...

Motherboard
Z170X-UD5 TH
CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
GTX 1080
Mac
iMac, MacBook, MacBook Pro, Mac mini
Classic Mac
PowerBook, Quadra
Mobile Phone
iOS
Yes, that is how I always setup my Macs. I set a 1 minute screen saver to lock as well.

As far as sleep, I can go to Apple > Sleep and it works fine. I haven't fully tested auto sleep, but I can when I free up a little bit.
Yeah I do too, but I have like 13 USB devices plugged in, and comparing my system to yours is like comparing apples to time machines. That said, If I sleep, I sometimes get a kernel panic and reboot. Not always though, but I don't take the chance, just sleep the displays.

Motherboard
ASUS WS X299 SAGE/10G
CPU
i9-9980XE
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
Yeah I do too, but I have like 13 USB devices plugged in, and comparing my system to yours is like comparing apples to time machines. That said, If I sleep, I sometimes get a kernel panic and reboot. Not always though, but I don't take the chance, just sleep the displays.
Just curious, why do you need to have it go to sleep?

When a PC idles, it doesn't eat up that much power anyway. Just make sure to use high quality fans in the case (or good liquid cooling if you go that route) and you should be fine for years.

We used to have like 50 of the cheese grater Mac Pros and they were always on and we just let the display sleep after 5 mins and they worked fine for years.

I like it when I sit down and the system wakes up with a move of the mouse/wacom tablet or a keyboard key stroke.

Hackintoshes are always going to be buggy when it comes to sleep anyway.

As far as USB devices go, I use the old 27" Apple Cinema Displays (dual) and they have built in USB2.0 hubs...so I basically have at least 6-7 USB devices connected at all times including hubs.

Last edited:
Motherboard
ASUS WS X299 SAGE/10G
CPU
i9-9980XE
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
My system has been chugging along pretty well for the past 7 months. Lately I've been experiencing a lot more lock ups. In the past it was usually just when I was encoding a video with Adobe Media Encoder. But in the last 24 hours I've had 3 lock ups and I was doing nothing more than browsing a web page and playing a video in VLC. After the second lock up today I decided I should try bringing my system up to date with the guide. To test it out I encoded a video using AME with not problems. Then I ended up having another lockup doing nothing more than watching a video in VLC again a few hours later.

When it locks up it doesn't always produce a kernel panic.

Attached are the last couple that were caught.

I'd appreciate any help anyone can give! Let me know what additional information I can provide.
This is a known issue with Adobe stuff and (real) iMac Pro and OpenCL.

Switch to Metal in Premiere Pro and Media Encoder and problems might go away.

I have had issues with software that use "hardware acceleration" too and my system locks up sometimes....but the switch to Metal helped even though its slower than OpenCL.

I haven't had lockups with VLC or anything....try using IINA instead.

Also do you have Shiki.kext or anything installed?

Motherboard
Asus Prime x299 Deluxe
CPU
i9-7900x
Graphics
Radeon Vega Frontier Edition

I have had issues with software that use "hardware acceleration" too and my system locks up sometimes....but the switch to Metal helped even though its slower than OpenCL.

I did use Metal on my last encode with Media Encoder. It worked fine other than Media Encoder hanging after it was finished encoding. A force quit took care of that.

I do not have Shiki.kext installed. Are you asking because you think I ought to have it installed, or to make sure I don't have it installed as it could be causing problems?

Motherboard
Asus Prime X299-Deluxe
CPU
i9-7900X
Graphics
Radeon VII

I never use sleep either. Just shut it down. It doesn't take that long to start up anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.