Contribute
Register

How to build your own iMac Pro [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still need help getting Thunderbolt to work on my machine. Is there anyone in this thread who actually got their Asus Thunderbolt EX 3 to work, or are all the successful builds using the Gigabyte board? Note that I'm on Mojave PB6.

Well, my TBEX works both on my Z370 board and on the current X99 board (soon to be changed to an X299), but I'm on 10.13.6, and I only use a TB 2 external hard drive to load there, and yes, I can boot from it (but it's not an SSD, so I don't do that very often). Can I assume you've booted into Windows, loaded the latest drivers there, booted again and then loaded the new firmware? My guess is that probably you have, but I thought I would mention it, just in case.

There are two Thunderbolt focused threads that I know of that you might try, where someone might be of help: this one, you may know this, but here it is on TonyMac: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/in-progress-ssdt-for-thunderbolt-3-hotplug.248784/

And this one is on insanely mac: https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/323540-thunderbolt-drivers/

There may be something over on Macrumors, I just haven't tried that yet, because my TBEX card works, however limited, for what I need it to do..

LATE ADD: I don't want to assume, but from what I know about TB cables, it is really critical to get cables that are certified for TB3, otherwise you may not carry enough power for high power devices. In my experience, these TB3 certified cables are thicker, and NOT cheap.....just a thought.....

Last edited:

Attachments

• SSDT-X299-TB3-iMacPro-Combo-ASUS-31-07-2018-b.aml
    16.4 KB · Views: 85
I don't -need- my computer to sleep, so I don't sleep it; just the displays for lifespan/burn-in. I tested sleep just to see if I had achieved a build that could support it error-free but I have not :)

Yeah just do what I do,...I let a screensaver come on after 2-3 minutes with a lockscreen requirement, and 5-8 minutes for display sleep.

I even put hot corners (lower left) for display sleep and it works perfect. Tried and true over the years.

Hello,
I just successfully installed High Sierra on my PC - Asus X299 Mark 2 with i9-7940x and Nvidia Quadro M6000 24GB.
When I try to run some 3D app or app that is using more graphic power, it crashes :( report is having issues with graphics driver. I get tired of windows and linux doesn't give me apps I use for my work.
I know that there is an issue with my config file, but I am afraid when I edit something that my system will not boot it up.
I will really appreciate if someone can help me. Thank you.

upload_2018-8-17_9-59-22.png

upload_2018-8-17_9-59-55.png

upload_2018-8-17_10-0-47.png

upload_2018-8-17_10-2-33.png

upload_2018-8-17_10-2-50.png

upload_2018-8-17_10-3-13.png

Hello,
I just successfully installed High Sierra on my PC - Asus X299 Mark 2 with i9-7940x and Nvidia Quadro M6000 24GB.
When I try to run some 3D app or app that is using more graphic power, it crashes :( report is having issues with graphics driver. I get tired of windows and linux doesn't give me apps I use for my work.
I know that there is an issue with my config file, but I am afraid when I edit something that my system will not boot it up.

The Nvidia drivers look like they’re properly installed (I assume you’ve also installed Cuda drivers?)

You’ll need to check the console logs for more insights to the crashing...

The Nvidia drivers look like they’re properly installed (I assume you’ve also installed Cuda drivers?)

You’ll need to check the console logs for more insights to the crashing...

Yes CUDA drivers are also installed
upload_2018-8-17_10-55-16.png

it Hang on the GPU :(

upload_2018-8-17_11-5-14.png

upload_2018-8-17_11-16-21.png

Last edited:
Hello,

View attachment 346601

View attachment 346602
View attachment 346603

View attachment 346604
View attachment 346605
View attachment 346606

Are your 6pin or whatever power cables connected properly? Is your PSU a decent one? This is a beefy 250watt workstation GPU.

If you have Windows installed, could you do stress tests under it to see if this is related to macOS (Can you test same app under windows)? This helps identify the culprit - which MIGHT be the NVIDIA macOS drivers. Or CUDA driver.

Also one other thing to test is a different slot.

Also another thing to test is to completely remove the CUDA drivers and restart and test the 3d application again. CUDA is buggy under macOS.

Here's how to completely remove CUDA from macOS (you will need admin privileges)
You can access each folder by hitting CMD+SHIFT+G and pasting each line and deleting that file/folder.

Code:
Delete the following:

/System/Library/Extensions/CUDA.kext
/Library/Frameworks/CUDA.framework
/Library/LaunchAgents/com.nvidia.CUDASoftwareUpdate.plist
/Library/PreferencePanes/CUDA/Preferences.prefPane
/System/Library/StartupItems/CUDA/

If you installed the tookits and samples, delete the following also:

/Developer/NVIDIA/CUDA-5.0
/usr/local/cuda

We need to isolate the issue because we need to do some troubleshooting before we come to the conclusion that it's your system and not driver/software related.

Also which app are you using? Is it Maya or something?

If this turns out to be CUDA/NVIDIA driver related, I highly recommend you switch over to an AMD workstation card like a WX8200 (coming soon) or a WX9100. Not sure if something like a Vega Frontier Edition will serve you well if you are doing a lot of compute level work like 3d Modeling or whatnot....

Are your 6pin or whatever power cables connected properly? Is your PSU a decent one? This is a beefy 250watt workstation GPU.

If you have Windows installed, could you do stress tests under it to see if this is related to macOS (Can you test same app under windows)? This helps identify the culprit - which MIGHT be the NVIDIA macOS drivers. Or CUDA driver.

Also another thing to test is to completely remove the CUDA drivers and restart and test the 3d application again. CUDA is buggy under macOS.

Here's how to completely remove CUDA from macOS (you will need admin privileges)
You can access each folder by hitting CMD+SHIFT+G and pasting each line and deleting that file/folder.

Code:
Delete the following:

/usr/local/cuda

We need to isolate the issue because we need to do some troubleshooting before we come to the conclusion that it's your system and not driver/software related.

If this turns out to be CUDA/NVIDIA driver related, I highly recommend you switch over to an AMD workstation card like a WX8200 (coming soon) or a WX9100. Not sure if something like a Vega Frontier Edition will serve you well if you are doing a lot of compute level work like 3d Modeling or whatnot....

Code:
Delete the following:

/usr/local/cuda

Thanks for the response. Yes i have multi-boot on this machine - Windows/Linux/Mac
Windows and Linux are totally fine under the load. I was just painting in the Substance Painter under Windows for few hours and no issue. I have Mac Pro (trash can) but the graphics card Firepro D500 is too weak. So i am trying to figure out how to do nice fast OS X machine - I dont like the idea to get iMac Pro.

Thanks guys for helping me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back