Contribute
Register

How to build your own iMac Pro [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another TB Breakthrough....

Unfortunately, I see no improvements over the previous version (other than the SSDT is now 1/3rd of the size)...
TB hotplug works just the same (with THB_C cable plugged)
USB-C port is only seen if I boot with a USB C device attached.

The device however is non-functional. So this is all as good as before..

Here is the port for the ASRock on BR2A PCIe slot
I don't think much of the code makes any sense to be honest.
Many of the methods referenced don't even exist in the original Asus DSDT...

Attachments

• SSDT-TB3-BR2A-XHC5-HPME.aml
    723 bytes · Views: 95
  • SSDT-X299-TB3-iMacPro.aml
    7.1 KB · Views: 73
Unfortunately, I see no improvements over the previous version (other than the SSDT is now 1/3rd of the size)...
TB hotplug works just the same (with THB_C cable plugged)
USB-C port is only seen if I boot with a USB C device attached.

The device however is non-functional. So this is all as good as before..

Here is the port for the ASRock on BR2A PCIe slot
I don't think much of the code makes any sense to be honest.
Many of the methods referenced don't even exist in the original Asus DSDT...

Well, maybe no improvements for you on your ASRock board..

Here everything works just fine.. I don't mind about missing USB3.1 hot plug with removed THB_C cable. NHI and USB-C drivers and ports are always seen and not only present when a TB or USB-C device is attached. TB hot plug works just flawless.

Let's see about the feedback from the Gigabyte guys..

It is new to me that within a SSDT only things can be implemented that are also part of the DSDT.

In any case, I guess you will have to develop your own ASRock specific TB-SSDT that satisfies all needs. Seems that our approach is definitely not compatible with your board, of course always supposed that your adaptations have been correct and complete.

Cheers,

KGP

Last edited:
How can I know if the usb header is working properly? If I would know it works for sure, then I’ll know is an adapter issue! Anyway, even if it’s not a OSXWiFi device I think it’s the same exact stuff, it uses a Broadcom / Apple BT WiFi mini card mounted on a PCIe adapter.

I cant’t flip the cable, it will not go in the female header! Ahahah

The USB header is just there to give 5v power (most likely 500mA and it will regulate on it's own) from the motherboard to the BT portion of the module. These cables usually come with 2 pins and go from module > cable > motherboard. Hence why @kgp was telling you to flip the cable.

VmiZEovXxYHQURwW.medium

BT uses USB protocol, Wifi uses PCIe protocol.

If Wifi works but not BT, then the BT portion of the module is not getting power or it's something else. If it's a certain model of module that doesn't work OOB (Out of the box) like OSXWIFI (which is what the guide on the first page uses), then you need to load Broadcom kexts.

What model module do you have? It should be Broadcom, but need the full model number.

Last edited:
The USB header is just there to give 5v power from the motherboard to the BT portion of the module.

BT uses USB protocol, Wifi uses PCIe protocol.

If Wifi works but not BT, then the BT portion of the module is not getting power or it's something else. If it's a certain model of module that doesn't work OOB (Out of the box) like OSXWIFI (which is what the guide on the first page uses), then you need to load Broadcom kexts.

What model module do you have? It should be Broadcom, but need the full model number.

I don't know which adopter he has but on the OSXWIFI the USB cable is up to my best knowledge not for supplying power as it connects USB data pins with each other. Also I would not completely discard the possibility that his module is x1 only! I once tested an adapter, which did not work in any X4, x8 or X16 slot, even after adopting the bandwidth of each particular slot to x1 in the mainboard BIOS.

I don't know which adopter he has but on the OSXWIFI the USB cable is up to my best knowledge not for supplying power as it connects USB data pins with each other. Also I would not completely discard the possibility that his module is x1 only! I once tested an adapter, which did not work in any X4, x8 or X16 slot, even after adopting the bandwidth of each particular slot to x1 in the mainboard BIOS.

I think it's for both power and data. D- and D+ (The OS regulates how much amperage needs to go to the card, and if it's not the right amount, you will have issues).

I'm using OSXWIFI right now but have another module in there but have removed the kexts for now (I'm sure you know the story by now :D )

As far as 1x, it should work in a 4x/8x/16x slot without a problem. But yeah worth a try on 1x if he has one, for one thing my board doesn't have a 1x slot.

Also to anyone else, this is why it's always preferred to buy a BT/Wifi modules that are pre-approved and not some random one, unless you want headaches. BT/Wifi is the most finicky part of macOS.

Reactions: kgp
I think it's for both power and data. D- and D+ (The OS regulates how much amperage needs to go to the card, and if it's not the right amount, you will have issues).

I'm using OSXWIFI right now but have another module in there but have removed the kexts for now (I'm sure you know the story by now :D )

As far as 1x, it should work in a 4x/8x/16x slot without a problem. But yeah worth a try on 1x if he has one, for one thing my board doesn't have a 1x slot.

Also to anyone else, this is why it's always preferred to buy a BT/Wifi modules that are pre-approved and not some random one, unless you want headaches. BT/Wifi is the most finicky part of macOS.

@kgp

https://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B00MBP25UK/?tag=tonymacx86com-21

This is the card I bought, WiFi worked OOB so I suppose even if in the product images it says pcie x1 maybe it's ok to put it in a x4 or x16 which I both tested end Wifi works. My x1 is occupied by Vega 64 LC that's a 2,5 slot card. It has 2 leds, 1 for wifi and 1 for bt so, wifi led is on when the card is in the pcie slot, bt led goes on/off if plugged/unplugged to the mobo header via usb cable. My mobo header has 1 vacant pin just like the image provided by izo1 and the male connector of the cable goes in just in 1 direction and I think it's correct due to the fact that the bt led light up. Do you think I need a kext for that bcm943602cs?

@kgp

https://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B00MBP25UK/?tag=tonymacx86com-21

This is the card I bought, WiFi worked OOB so I suppose even if in the product images it says pcie x1 maybe it's ok to put it in a x4 or x16 which I both tested end Wifi works. My x1 is occupied by Vega 64 LC that's a 2,5 slot card. It has 2 leds, 1 for wifi and 1 for bt so, wifi led is on when the card is in the pcie slot, bt led goes on/off if plugged/unplugged to the mobo header via usb cable. My mobo header has 1 vacant pin just like the image provided by izo1 and the male connector of the cable goes in just in 1 direction and I think it's correct due to the fact that the bt led light up. Do you think I need a kext for that bcm943602cs?

Why don't you try at least to plug the GPU for a moment in a slot different from slot-1, to free your x1-slot for the BT/WIFI Adaptor?

Don't get misled by LED lights. Might have no significance in your issue.

I already told you that I had a similar adaptor, where BT just worked with the card plugged into a x1-slot, although WIFI was working flawless in x4, x8 and x16 slots.

Now why you further ask for our help if you are not willing to do what we are proposing?

Just do the test, and if the test is not successful, let's think on alternatives.

As you see also @izo1 is willing to help you... But step by step!

Cheers,

KGP

Last edited:
Thank you for the response @flmmkr. I want to get something that will keep the 7940x cooler. I asked Corsair and they felt the H115 wasn't that big a difference compared to a H100i. Gonna do some research on water coolers. If anyone has suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

It really depends on how hard you push it. If you run something that uses all cores at max you're going to have problems. Maaayyybbeeee you'd be ok if you delid. When I used certain software and rendered video, and all 10 cores maxed out, the temps shot up pretty quickly. I was close to 100C. Now, after delidding, it peaks at about 75C for no longer than a couple seconds. That's still higher than I'd like, but it's not bad.

Updated Clover from 4558 to 4586 and MacOS won't start after the Clover screen. I just get a blank screen. Thoughts?

EDIT: Figured it out. Never trust the Clover installer to be accurate in knowing what your install options are. It should have upgraded AptioMemoryFix-64 and APFSDriverLoader, but it didn't and instead removed them. I reinstalled properly and all is good.

Last edited:
macOS High Sierra - Final Cut - 10.13.6 (17G65) released

X299-10.13.6.png

New Nvidia Web driver: WebDriver-387.10.10.10.40.105.pkg

USB port limit patch: same as during 101.3.6 Betas

Code:
Name*          Find*[Hex]                Replace* [Hex]           Comment
AppleUSBXHCI   837D880F 0F83A704 0000   837D880F 90909090 9090   10.13.6 USB Port Limit Patch

Enjoy and have fun,

kgp.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back