N/A
Graphics
N/A
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I am considering going back to an Nvidia card until this issue is fixed (if it ever gets fixed --- maybe Apple does not consider it a defect). As it stands now, I cannot work with the system, as the fan noise is very bothersome.

Looking around some other forums, it would appear that the issue persists in the 10.13.6 beta 1, as well as the Mojave beta 1 :(

I have the Vega FE and it’s not bad on my system. Case is closed and it’s not terrible. It idles around 600rpm sometimes 1600 if I have light gpu loads and on full load it goes to 2000rpm+ and it’s audible but not horrible.

Maybe RX Vega is worse

Motherboard
ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme
CPU
i9-7940X
Graphics
2 X VEGA 56
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Are you sure that also TB hot plug is working? If so, can you explain further details?

Cheers, man!

For now I can only test hotplug with
- USB or HDD connected on USB 3.1 port
- I always boot with my screen connected on USB C port

So :
- I can eject and replug USB or HDD on USB 3.1 port
- After wake USB or HDD is pluged and my screen goes on.
That all I can say.

@kgp

I have attached my SSDT TB3 according to the SSDT-X299-TB3-iMacPro-KGP the ASUS TBEX3 in PCI Slot-4 implementation in IOREG ACPI path PCI0.RP21 for Gigabyte X299 UD4.

Attachments

• SSDT-TB3-GAX299UD4.aml
    6 KB · Views: 93
Reactions: kgp
Motherboard
Asus Dominus Extreme
CPU
3175X
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
  4. Mac Pro
Why don’t you opt for custom GPU waterblocking? In the latter case, just have a look at EK.

Its not that simple... you will only get water blocks for reference cards which most of them are not if you buy a new one.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z590 Vision G
CPU
i9-10900K
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Hey, thanks for this awesome Guide!
I have a Gigabyte x299 Gaming 7 and created the USB Stick. I need just a
Hint for possible Reasons, why im not have a Boot Install Entry (Icon) if i boot
from this USB Stick. The boot.efi is in .IABootFiles.

kgp

Retired
Motherboard
ASUS WS X299 Sage 10G
CPU
i9-7980XE
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Its not that simple... you will only get water blocks for reference cards which most of them are not if you buy a new one.

I was mainly referring to EK water blocking for Vegas.. These are also those GPUs with the fan issue...

Thought that was obvious... ;)

Motherboard
N/A
CPU
N/A
Graphics
N/A
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I was mainly referring to EK water blocking for Vegas.. These are also those GPUs with the fan issue...

Thought that was obvious... ;)

Or if you're lucky find an affordable Vega Liquid Edition :D

Motherboard
Asus X299 Prime Delux
CPU
Delided 7900x
Graphics
EVGA GTX 1080 TI FTW Hybrid
Two questions, even though ASUS BIOS Firmware Patching is labeled as obsolete, do we still have to perform the steps?

Also when creating a boot drive, and following the commands, I do not see any directories (in finder) under "iabootfiles" created although LS bootfiles does return just that. I've also CP'd the the EFI folder into the iabootfiles directory, is this all correct?

kgp

Retired
Motherboard
ASUS WS X299 Sage 10G
CPU
i9-7980XE
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Two questions, even though ASUS BIOS Firmware Patching is labeled as obsolete, do we still have to perform the steps?

Also when creating a boot drive, and following the commands, I do not see any directories (in finder) under "iabootfiles" created although LS bootfiles does return just that. I've also CP'd the the EFI folder into the iabootfiles directory, is this all correct?

Where is ASUS Firmware patching labled as obsolete? It is absolutely mandatory.

It is .iabootfiles.. a hidden directory .. you will find it with the terminal command "ls"

kgp

Retired
Motherboard
ASUS WS X299 Sage 10G
CPU
i9-7980XE
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Motherboard
N/A
CPU
N/A
Graphics
N/A
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
which is also not that silent though ;)

More silent than the blower-style cooler which ramps to 4900RPM and sounds like a leaf blower ;)

Also you can always swap the radiator fan on the AIO with something more silent like Silent Wings 3.

I did that with my last system which had 2x980Ti Hybrids and it was dead silent even on full load.

Status
Not open for further replies.