Contribute
Register

How to build your own iMac Pro [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would be same if I would compare your gpu in intensive MacOS applications which are optimised for AMD. Anyways nice day Mr.!

Ergo you can’t Overclock original Mac Hardware so where is the point in comparing or talking about Hardware build by Apple and OC? LOL

Exactly, if I would be a semi-professional overclocker like you, as you state yourself above, I would not buy any Apple hardware, which by definition cannot be overclocked at all.

68.000 vs. 3x.xxx Geekbench scores for the same money... What else can I say?

But that’s of course my personal opinion. I also appreciate your personal decision and those of others.

I also need my iMac Pro Hack for professional work, i.e. spectral line inversion and image reconstruction. I have my own optimised codes, which basically perform parallelised number crunching..

I also use third party macOS software packages, but basically for public outreach or scientific publications.

Cheers,

KGP

Last edited:
Hello again, first of all, sorry for taking too long to answer, I'm out of the house, this afternoon I'll have more time, in terms of configuration, I have a 7980xe that gets a Core Vid of 1,188 in Windows, I usually work as described @kgp in your guide, manual voltage to 1.080 although I got the score with the limit per core to 49 and with the voltage to 1.25 I think I remember. The ram is original G.Skill 3600, not overcloked, I use a liquid cooler Corsair H115i Pro (rgb) but I think I will change it for the previous model, the H115i, the block acts better against the sudden rises in temperature, 10- 12 degrees less than the Pro model. The 7980 is delided by me with Grizzly Conductonaut and the components left in sight of the processor are sealed with special silicone so there is no danger of spilling the Grizzly liquid on them. I have to admit that I have tried 5 samples of different processors, each one obtains a result, not all are equal and there are many that obtain a very high core vine, that is bad. I also have to admit that to get the score I removed all the pci cards, there was only the graphics card, as I understand, the more lanes of the CPU are running, the less score is obtained. @kgp, sorry if I leave an issue to answer, I will be happy to answer any of your questions this afternoon, greetings.

@WoodCabin , tell me.. what about Cinebench? :)

Are you able to run Cinebench with all cores synced to 4.9 Ghz?

That's in my opinion the crucial test concerning CPU temps and system stability and the reason why I usually drive my i9-7980XE sample at 4.7 Ghz most.

Your sample really seems to be splendid!

Cheers,

KGP

Thanks! I'll give it a shot after I can complete the install and get to a desktop.

I have a new problem :( The 10.13.4 install goes well......Until I do my first post-installation boot. When I get to the "Select Country" screen, only half of the screen is showing; the other half is black. I am using the "Vega Fix" kext --- do I no longer need it once installation has completed?

I know this is not a problem with my Thunderbolt card, video card, or LG 5K display, as Windows 10 boots to the 5K desktop perfectly every time.

Anyone have any thoughts as to what might be happening?

Thanks!

Exactly, if I would be a semi-professional overclocker like you, as you state yourself above, I would not buy any Apple hardware, which by definition cannot be overclocked at all.

68.000 vs. 3x.xxx Geekbench scores for the same money... What else can I say?

But that’s of course my personal opinion. I also appreciate your personal decision and those of others.

It seems like I really speak Chinese...
Again it’s not my personal computer it’s the one I use at work, none company will ever use a hackintosh in working rooms. You should not confound things, thanks!

@WoodCabin :

Man that’s a brilliant piece of cpu 1,25 for 4.9 GHz. There is even bigger performance possible if you use custom cooling solutions.

If you need help, let me know!

That's in my opinion the crucial test concerning CPU temps and system stability and the reason why I usually drive my i9-7980XE sample at 4.7 Ghz most.

Cheers,

KGP
hi, my friend~~~~I need help, I cannot receive the latest security update file through the apple store........how can I fix it~~~~
9A9143BB-AC2A-44DD-A11A-96C4D6E6C556.png

Last edited:
Hello everyone! First I wanted to thank you all about this excellent guide! This was my first hackintosh build and so far I have encountered three problems: I can not get the audio to work, I only have images via hdmi (displayport does not work) and the bluetooth works incorrectly. Can you help me solve these issues? Thanks!!

P.S- All issues solved after update macOS High Sierra

Last edited:
hi, my friend~~~~I need help, I cannot receive the latest security update file through the apple store........how can I fix it~~~~
View attachment 329787

Hello my friend,

that's somewhat surprising. Did you already install 10.13.4 before? If not, download the 10.13.4 installer following section D.) of my guide and try to subsequently update to 10.13.4 SU. In this way, you could also try to directly download the Base.dmg of / or the entire 10.13.4 SU update installer.

Cheers,

KGP

Hi @kgp, I had to stop doing tests in cinebench when I got to 4.7 since the temperatures reached 100º, still, I think I remember that I exceeded 4,500 points, I will look for the capture, I think I saved it. In geekbench to 4.9 I got to 95º in the peaks, to be able to test cinebench at 4.8 or 4.9 I need a cooler much better than mine, in fact, on Monday I have to get the Corsair H115i that better withstood the peaks, I'll try it and I will inform you, but I think I have had a very good sample of 7980

Reactions: kgp
@WoodCabin :

Man that’s a brilliant piece of cpu 1,25 for 4.9 GHz. There is even bigger performance possible if you use custom cooling solutions.

If you need help, let me know![/QUOTE]

Thanks @S1lla, the truth is that my intention is not to work with overclock, I usually work the CPU Core Voltage in Manual and to 1.080, the rest as indicated by @kgp in your guide. I tried Overclock to test the maximum performance on Geekbench since I do not have a cooling for Cinebench, mostly work in Audio and some Video work, with the stock speed the equipment works perfect, even so, today I have done some tests in Cinebench, the configuration is what @kgp indicates but with these modifications:

All Core Ratio Limit: 46
CPU Core Voltage: Manual Mode
CPU Core Voltage Override: 1.160

Cinebench result: 4445
Temperature: 90º-91º

When I raise the Ratio Limit to 47, I have to raise the Voltage and the temperature is triggered with this refrigerator, on Monday I get the other corsair that works a little cooler, then I will test 47.

Hey guys, just cloned the OS drive from 512GB M.2 AHCI (non nVME) to a 1TB Samsung NVME. Using the NVME External .aml. All works well.

However, on Clover now it seems it's seen as an external drive so it's all wonky. I've set the proper UUID for the boot drives.

Any help appreciated.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-05-05 at 1.23.32 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-05-05 at 1.23.32 PM.png
    664.2 KB · Views: 113
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back