Contribute
Register

How to build your own iMac Pro [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
No need for a SSDT for that.
A simple kext which is just a plist will do just the same job and far easier to modify/maintain.

It is simply a question of taste to use a SSDT or kext. I have both..

Honestly I don't like some of your comments... they are just off place in my opinion..

And for what real benefit? What behaviour difference can you point at that doesn't include having the devices listed in the PCI list?
I have found no evidence that a difference in behaviour is actually happening between a SSDT that only adds DSM method and without it.

The only exception if for thunderbolt hotplug, but that can be done with a clover patch too. There's only a single property that needs to be injected.

Do what you want.. but do it silent...

Cheers,

KGP

No need for a SSDT for that.
A simple kext which is just a plist will do just the same job and far easier to modify/maintain.

It's basically doing the same thing.

The overall vibe I got from your post is that SSDTs are useless, which is not true at all.

Most people don't even know the kext method for USB ports/power distribution. This method comes from the SSDT method.

Reactions: kgp
The GFX0 implementation is also crucial for the Vegas. /QUOTE]
how so?

My Vega works exactly the same with or without the gfx0 replacement.

I have no doubt an SSDT can help, but I'm yet to read anyone actually pinpointing which change was absolutely necessary or which change caused sleep/wake to suddenly work.
So I'm very curious about that.

People have reported sleep/wake to work for them, even without SSDT changes. Or people using the SSDTfor the asus with a different motherboard, even though nine of the ACPI paths matched.

DSM2 had sleep/wake working with nothing.
Me even though I have the exact same board as you and configuration, and use an identical EFI folder, I never managed to get sleep to work properly. I've tried with 4 different motherboards. Never worked.
So my guess is the sleep/wake works depending on what you actually connect.
I have a device in my system that prevents sleep. I can't figure out which one though.
I'm certain it has nothing to do with the SSDT

It is simply a question of taste to use a SSDT or kext. I have both..

Honestly I don't like some of your comments... they are just off place in my opinion..

Unfortunate that you can't sustain a constructive discussion, just because you feel someone is disagreeing with you.

At the end of the day, we all want the same thing, improving the quality and support of our system.

When someone provides a method to solve a problem, I like to understand on *why* that solution works (and does it really work or it's just a coincidence). If the solution changed many things at once, almost always a single change can be linked to the result.
I do not take things at face value.
Of all people, being a scientist, you should understand that approach.

The overall vibe I got from your post is that SSDTs are useless, which is not true at all.

Most people don't even know the kext method for USB ports/power distribution. This method comes from the SSDT method.

Not even worth to further comment on such kind of posts my friend...

There always will be somebody who feels the permanent necessity to demonstrate his believed knowledge and importance and to discredit the rest.

It is not the first time that this happens along this thread and I am sure it will not be the last time..

Big words without results or major contributions.. smoke and mirros..

So what?

Thanks for your support anyway.

Cheers,

KGP

Not 100% useless no... But fairly high percentage :)
You may feel that you needed it for your BY adapter to work, though I have an identical BCM M.2 card as you (I bought it after you recommended it) and it's been working perfectly without anything.

Not 100% useless no... But fairly high percentage :)
You may feel that you needed it for your BY adapter to work, though I have an identical BCM M.2 card as you (I bought it after you recommended it) and it's been working perfectly without anything.

Screen Shot 2018-04-01 at 23.16.54.png

Some device implementations are of cosmetic nature, some are not.. Any child is able to read what is written..

Please.. let's stop with this weird and obsolete discussion at this place.

You are free to do what ever you want as long you do not discredit others in public.. You are also free to write your own guide and thread. For sure you will have a lot of followers. No need to further follow this guide and thread or related advices.

Good luck,

KGP

I would not agree with this statement. The SSDT creates the same environment like on the real iMac Pro. Some PCI device driver implementations are more crucial than others.

Hmmm, Ok I can't seem to get the SSDT to even show slot one on the graphics card that is on slot one. it shows up as slot six. and the USB ports have issues with ejecting devices as soon as it goes to sleep even with the SSDT in.

I have no sleep wake issues without the SSDT at all, all my USB ports work fine, the patch limit was important though but other than that, everything feels normal.. my portable hard drives still show up as internal with or without the SSDT, but plugging it into a hub first before connecting it to a port in the system resolves that.

If you can help me overcome these issues with the SSDT ill be very happy and take back what i said :)

my friend kgp, I don't want to discredit you or your wonderful guide that has helped me bring this system to life, and I believe something like proper naming can certainly contribute to a proper functionality, however so far it has not been the case for me. weather I've implemented the SSDT correctly in the first place is another thing and I have received no help with that here.

Im willing to learn or be guided the right way to get it to work.

Thanks again!

Cheers

Last edited:
Hey Guys,

Successfully upgraded to 13.4 through App Store. I patched BIOS successfully to newest bios and added the TSCAdjustReset.kext. So far so good. I adjusted my plist to account for the new changes in @kgp's new efi folder. So far so good.

I am now for the first time interested in doing the SSDT implementation. However, finding it difficult to find a comprehensive guide on how to do this. I know KGP laid out some beautiful steps earlier on in the thread, but I am having trouble locating the post. This is the pci setup I have:

Slot 1: GTX Titan X (Maxwell)
Slot 2: COVERED
Slot 3: Highpoint RAID Card
Slot 4: Thunderbolt EX
Slot 5: Broadcom WIFI OSXWIFI
Slot 6: Blackmagic Decklink Extreme 4K

So I understand that my system deviates from the SSDT-X299-iMacPro.aml in three places:

1: There is a HighPoint Raid Card in Slot 3
2: OSXWIFI card is in Slot 5, instead of Slot 3
3: Decklink card in Slot 6.

If there is anyone well versed in this stuff that can help me out/point me to the best resource to learn, that would be appreciated! Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back