Contribute
Register

How to build your own iMac Pro [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also to add to this, SSDT is not useless and only cosmetic. Especially for USB ports.

For example, if properly set up with USB ports and power distribution, in my case, the Bluetooth module now drops no packets with Bluetooth headphones.

If I remove port distribution and power distribution, Bluetooth starts to drop packets.

It also adds TB XHC USB and TB hotplug functionality as well as HDAU functionality for Nvidia GPUs. For the latter also the GFX0 and HDEF PCI implementations are crucial. The GFX0 implementation is also crucial for the Vegas. And the SSDT also improves sleep/wake functionality, etc. It us absolutely mandatory for a fully functional system!

Last edited:
A question maybe @kgp could kindly help with.

I moved from .aml SSDT to X299USB.kext which seems to work fine for everything.

It seems my front case 2 USB 3.0 ports only work with powered USB hard drives and not self powered USB drives like ones from Western Digital 2TB USB3.0 small drives. Rear ports no issues at all with any device.

I double and triple checked that the mobo header is properly set in the info.plist inside the kext. I have kept it within the 15 port limit and disabled the port limit patch.

I may have missed something.

Have you tried both, HDMI and DP? Any difference? When I use DP, I get reduced graphics during boot up, when I use HDMI, everything is fine. It annoyed me so much that I ended up with using HDMI only.

You are the man of the hour :headbang:

No 4K boot screen resolution issues when connecting a Vega with a 4K monitor via HDMI :thumbup:

The 4K boot screen issue is definitely restricted to the Vega DP ports and likely due to the fact that the LG 38UC99-W only supports DP 1.2.

A question maybe @kgp could kindly help with.

I moved from .aml SSDT to X299USB.kext which seems to work fine for everything.

It seems my front case 2 USB 3.0 ports only work with powered USB hard drives and not self powered USB drives like ones from Western Digital 2TB USB3.0 small drives. Rear ports no issues at all with any device.

I double and triple checked that the mobo header is properly set in the info.plist inside the kext. I have kept it within the 15 port limit and disabled the port limit patch.

I may have missed something.

Unfortunately, my XHC USB kext is just valid for the Asus Prime X299 Deluxe, otherwise you could give it a try..

No idea if you properly set up your X299USB.kext for the Designare EX. Difficult to help here as I do not own this latter mobo.

Given my experience, the XHC USB kext is obsolete anyway. I just use the native OSX XHC USB implementation with the port limit patch and the SST-X299-iMacPro.aml. Everything works as expected.

You are the man of the hour :headbang:

No 4K boot screen resolution issues when connecting a Vega with a 4K monitor via HDMI :thumbup:

The 4K boot screen issue is definitely restricted to the Vega DP ports and likely due to the fact that the LG 38UC99-W only supports DP 1.2.

Glad I could help and thanks for all your awesome work here again! Without you I would not even have had the answer for your issue :D

Reactions: kgp
Unfortunately, my XHC USB kext is just valid for the Asus Prime X299 Deluxe, otherwise you could give it a try..

No idea if you properly set up your X299USB.kext for the Designare EX. Difficult to help here as I do not own this latter mobo.

Given my experience, the XHC USB kext is obsolete anyway. I just use the native OSX XHC USB implementation with the port limit patch and the SST-X299-iMacPro.aml. Everything works as expected.

If you’re using the port limit patch does that mean you’re using more than 15 USB ports? (And is that a native config of the real iMac Pro?)

If you’re using the port limit patch does that mean you’re using more than 15 USB ports? (And is that a native config of the real iMac Pro?)

It is the native 10.13.4 XHC USB OSX implementation, which implements 14 HS ports and 6 SS ports. Some of these ports might not be used. If you want to stay below the 15 USB port limit, use my XHC USB kext or it's adaptation to the X299 mainboard your are using.

Also to add to this, SSDT is not useless and only cosmetic. Especially for USB ports.

For example, if properly set up with USB ports and power distribution, in my case, the Bluetooth module now drops no packets with Bluetooth headphones.

If I remove port distribution and power distribution, Bluetooth starts to drop packets.

No need for a SSDT for that.
A simple kext which is just a plist will do just the same job and far easier to modify/maintain.

I would not agree with this statement. The SSDT creates the same environment like on the real iMac Pro. Some PCI device driver implementations are more crucial than others.

And for what real benefit? What behaviour difference can you point at that doesn't include having the devices listed in the PCI list?
I have found no evidence that a difference in behaviour is actually happening between a SSDT that only adds DSM method and without it.

The only exception if for thunderbolt hotplug, but that can be done with a clover patch too. There's only a single property that needs to be injected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back