Contribute
Register

How to build your own iMac Pro [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ongoing major revision of the guide.

Please be patient...

The update might take several days.

You will be advised once the update is finished.

View attachment 321920

Thank you very much! I'm taking a weekend away from the project. Monday I will install Windows Server and verify that everything works hardware wise. Don't want to waste people's time further until I know the hardware is solid.

for me, I have two monitors, but only one is working.
Did you change anything to fix this?
I found the solution:

kext to patch:
name:AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy
find:626F6172 642D6964
REP:626F6172 642D6978

Thanks, Still don't get past the slides message from AptioMemoryFix. Did you have to alter your ROM? Somewhere I got the idea that wasn't required for Gigabyte boards.

I’m using the regular bios. I think the latest is F4c.

Are you for sure using the proper settings in your bios? Follow the original guide and it should work fine.

I’m not doing anything special with my setup.

Are you for sure using the proper settings in your bios? Follow the original guide and it should work fine.

I am using F3. I've checked the settings against the guide a couple of times. Will check again when I return home.

How to you like the Vega Frontier Edition? Is it worth $800? For my purposes, I was thinking I'd be fine with the FirePro W7000, or a GTX 1050 TI. I'm thinking the 38" LG monitor would be the largest thing it would need to drive.

I keep getting a “macOS can’t be installed on this computer” error when I try to upgrade through the AppStore.

I click download and restart, then i select install from in clover, it starts installing, reboots, then I select the install image again in clover. After a while it comes to the install gui and gives me the error. No explanation.

I know the guide is being updated, so I can wait for that, I’m just excited to see that .4 in About this Mac. ;)

Observation on 10.13.4:

- The issue with AMD Vega card running at high fan speeds has not been resolved
- The AMD Vega high fan speeds stop, when you open this video: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XDUvAjYGnpuhtlGWXUyAQ4bJr9MC9Q9A/view
- The AMD Vega stops crazy blinking on it's LEDs, when you cut the Internet connection

Wonder to myself: Has Apple implemented bitcoin mining in the background for themselves? It looks like they want to keep the system snappy (i.e. when you open the video), but will use graphic card resources in idle.

What is going on here?

I have the same behavior with my Vega 64, I have it watercooled so I can't tell about the high fan speeds but its leds are always blinking like crazy, have you found a fix for that?

With 10.13.4 (17E199) it is now recognized as "Radeon RX Vega 64" without any SSDT or kext.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-03-30 at 11.57.07 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-03-30 at 11.57.07 PM.png
    306.5 KB · Views: 132
Hi all,
Been following this thread for the last few days and I am excited to start my own first x299 build.
What is stopping me from spending money is Thunderbolt 3 functionality / issues / hot plug things, because TB 3 is
important for me. Happened to came across this thread.

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/ssdt-for-thunderbolt-3-hotplug.248784/

Is this applicable to x299 boards discussed here?. KGP is going to update his guide, may be
this can also be included in the updated guide.

Mcity

I am using F3. I've checked the settings against the guide a couple of times. Will check again when I return home.

Can you update to F4c then reset the bios (it usually does when you update) and set up your settings along with the guide?

Last edited:
How to you like the Vega Frontier Edition? Is it worth $800? For my purposes, I was thinking I'd be fine with the FirePro W7000, or a GTX 1050 TI. I'm thinking the 38" LG monitor would be the largest thing it would need to drive.

I love the Vega FE. I wish I moved to AMD earlier. I was always an nVidia head because of CUDA in certain pro apps and gaming (sometimes) under Windows. You should 100% go with AMD because you will pull your hair out with nVidia and their current drivers. If you do any graphic work go with AMD. You don’t need a Vega FE. Honestly I had a RX560 4GB before this and it worked fine for dual monitors. It’s a good budget card. You can also go with the RX580. I just wanted a higher end Vega card because I’m coming from higher end nVidia cards and want to make sure I get the most possible as I plan to move to 4K monitors soon.

The fact that it’s supported OOB without waiting for drivers is a game changer for me. It’s basiclally a Vega 64 with 8GB more HBM2 RAM. Btw I opened the shroud and unplugged the LED light as I’m always annoyed by those things. I like clean setups.

AMD also has pro drivers on the windows side of you need it and you can switch between the adrenaline (gaming) drivers if you need. All works well.

My only complaint would be that it runs very hot. You need cool air to be hitting it and if are ever to do any gaming on it on the Windows side you should underclock the memory a little bit and boost the fans with WattMan.

Other than that it works beautifully under macOS. And with 10.13.4 WhateverGreen is not required anymore so future is looking great.

I picked up the card for $700 locally from CraigsList from a guy who mined with it for a week. Card was new and I have had no issues

I sold my liquid cooled 2x980Ti’s for $900 together so it all came out to be more than a good deal for me.

I just wish I had the Liquid Cooled Vega FE but that thing was ridiculously pricey everywhere. Maybe one of these days I can buy it when it’s available because I prefer LC versions of GPUs instead of blower style coolers. Those run hot and throttle way too much to my liking.

I don’t want to do a full on water cooled system because I upgrade components all the time like CPU and GPU and don’t want to deal with any liquid dripping. So I prefer AIO coolers.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back