Contribute
Register

How to build your own iMac Pro [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.

RuleBreaker01

Banned
Why the Alpine Ridge should not work with the Asus Prime X299 Deluxe? You even have an Alpine Ridge BIOS option in the Asus Prime X299 Deluxe BIOS.

With the Alpine Ridge you should also be able to also directly apply the TB-SSDT of Mork vom Ork.

FWIW, The Prime X299 is a slightly older version of the Intel TB3 chipset: DSL6540 vs JHL6540, though I don't believe it makes much difference, just that the Asus one isn't lead-free and has been discontinued by Intel.

The main issue with the Thunderbolt EX was that 1) it has only one port and 2) as I mentioned earlier, I can't boot with my TB3 gears plugged into it. The BIOS gives me error about too high power draw.

Although, in fact.. you promised an adaptation of my SSDT-X299-iMacPro.aml for the Designare EX.. Isn't it? ;)
Well, I did do it, I posted it earlier... It has all the features the SSDT-X2990-iMacPro.aml you had (not including the TB3 hotplug)... So I've done my part of the deal :)

I don't believe it's going to make a difference though, as even with the exact same TB3 settings you had, the PCI list never shows any TB3 devices like your screen captures show. I believe there's something fundamentally not working here.

Even on Windows, when I boot with my Samsung S9 plugged into the USB-C port, it doesn't work. I must disconnect/reconnect the phone for it to be seen.
Without hotplug on mac, that makes the USB-C ports unusable.

The ASRock Fatal1ty X299 Gaming XE looks very nice: 10Gbit/s ethernet, two USB-C ports, support for dual-TB3 ports. And upgraded VRM ...
All the Asus doesn't have

kgp

Retired
Motherboard
ASUS WS X299 Sage 10G
CPU
i9-7980XE
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
FWIW, The Prime X299 is a slightly older version of the Intel TB3 chipset: DSL6540 vs JHL6540, though I don't believe it makes much difference, just that the Asus one isn't lead-free and has been discontinued by Intel.

The main issue with the Thunderbolt EX was that 1) it has only one port and 2) as I mentioned earlier, I can't boot with my TB3 gears plugged into it. The BIOS gives me error about too high power draw.

Well, I did do it, I posted it earlier... It has all the features the SSDT-X2990-iMacPro.aml you had (not including the TB3 hotplug)... So I've done my part of the deal :)

I don't believe it's going to make a difference though, as even with the exact same TB3 settings you had, the PCI list never shows any TB3 devices like your screen captures show. I believe there's something fundamentally not working here.

Even on Windows, when I boot with my Samsung S9 plugged into the USB-C port, it doesn't work. I must disconnect/reconnect the phone for it to be seen.
Without hotplug on mac, that makes the USB-C ports unusable.

The ASRock Fatal1ty X299 Gaming XE looks very nice: 10Gbit/s ethernet, two USB-C ports, support for dual-TB3 ports. And upgraded VRM ...
All the Asus doesn't have

Alright... but again you might just look at the features of the ASRock Fatal1ty X299 Gaming XE and forget about ensuring their OSX compatibility.. this just as a small reminder.. ;)

RuleBreaker01

Banned
Alright... but again you might just look at the features of the ASRock Fatal1ty X299 Gaming XE and forget about ensuring their OSX compatibility.. this just as a small reminder.. ;)
sure, but the feedback from one person using an ASRock board is very promising: hotplug working out of the box etc...

Yes, going back to the Asus Prime is very tempting, I could go and use all your great config and not having to think !
I'm sure the issue with the Designare will be resolved over time: after all it works great under windows...
I'll do one more attempt with your new SSDT.
I think it fails on the Designare due to the missing GPRW method (which you declared as external)

Looking at the DSDT.aml you kindly provided I see it's defined there as:
Code:
    Method (GPRW, 2, NotSerialized)
    {
        Store (Arg0, Index (PRWP, 0x00))
        Store (ShiftLeft (SS1, 0x01), Local0)
        Or (Local0, ShiftLeft (SS2, 0x02), Local0)
        Or (Local0, ShiftLeft (SS3, 0x03), Local0)
        Or (Local0, ShiftLeft (SS4, 0x04), Local0)
        If (And (ShiftLeft (0x01, Arg1), Local0))
        {
            Store (Arg1, Index (PRWP, 0x01))
        }
        Else
        {
            ShiftRight (Local0, 0x01, Local0)
            If (LOr (LEqual (OSFL (), 0x01), LEqual (OSFL (), 0x02)))
            {
                FindSetLeftBit (Local0, Index (PRWP, 0x01))
            }
            Else
            {
                FindSetRightBit (Local0, Index (PRWP, 0x01))
            }
        }

Return (PRWP)
    }

ah never mind... it's on the GB DSDT too... so that wasn't the reason it didnt boot.

Edit: in this screen capture it shows that something always worked for you:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/attachments/pci-device-implementation-png.311676/

pci1b21,612 is connected to the Thunderbolt port.... I've never had that...

Motherboard
X299 ASRock Taichi-XE
CPU
Intel i9-7900X
Graphics
Asus ROG Strix GeForce® GTX 1080 Ti OC / Gigabyte GTX780Ti OC WINDFORCE
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
  3. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Which ASRock motherboard do you have?
Does Sleep/Resume work for you?
If there's support for dual TB3 for that card, and sleep/resume work, I may use the board instead. I'm still within my return period ...
And I've had enough messing with my board when everything appears to work out of the box for everyone else..

Im using the ASRock X299 Taichi XE.

Sleep/Resume does appear to work, I had a problem with waking but some bios tweaks fixed that. I haven't tested this extensively, I've only let the computer sleep for about half an hour but yeah it appears to work.

RuleBreaker01

Banned
Im using the ASRock X299 Taichi XE.

Sleep/Resume does appear to work, I had a problem with waking but some bios tweaks fixed that. I haven't tested this extensively, I've only let the computer sleep for about half an hour but yeah it appears to work.
what bios setting corrected the problem for you?

Maybe there's an identical GB setting... Not giving up yet on that board :)

RuleBreaker01

Banned
@kgp your new ssdt makes use of OSDW() method for device UPS0.
That OSDW method is only present on Apple HW... it can't work on a hackintosh...

Was this just a copy of the mac's DSDT code?

Motherboard
X299 ASRock Taichi-XE
CPU
Intel i9-7900X
Graphics
Asus ROG Strix GeForce® GTX 1080 Ti OC / Gigabyte GTX780Ti OC WINDFORCE
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
  3. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
what bios setting corrected the problem for you?

Maybe there's an identical GB setting... Not giving up yet on that board :)

On my board, iirc, it was enabling these 3 settings.
  • PCIE ASPM Support
  • PCH PCIE ASPM Support
  • PCH DMI ASPM Support

I already had what i believe are the correct cpu-related c states set:
  • CPU C States Support - Enabled
  • Enhanced Halt State (C1E) - Enabled
  • CPU C6 State Support - Enabled
  • Package C State Support - Enabled
  • CFG Lock - disabled

kgp

Retired
Motherboard
ASUS WS X299 Sage 10G
CPU
i9-7980XE
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
@kgp your new ssdt makes use of OSDW() method for device UPS0.
That OSDW method is only present on Apple HW... it can't work on a hackintosh...

Was this just a copy of the mac's DSDT code?

No, that part (DSB1) was directly taken from the SSDT of Mork vom Ork for the Alpine Ridge..

anonym323

Banned
Motherboard
Asus X299 Deluxe
CPU
i9-7980XE
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Yes.
If you use the Windows @BIOS utility, after flashing the BIOS, you can select which image will be used for the POST screen, I used the same as provided in the first post: https://www.tonymacx86.com/attachments/imacpro-raw-zip.308717/

How? and where ? I dont see any option for this with @BIOS...

Another question : How did you compiled a dsdt.aml with all the errors with the patches text file which you provided for the designare?

I've attach my origin dsdt.aml as an example for it.

Of course all others are also asked if you guys can help.

Attachments

• DSDT.aml
    125.9 KB · Views: 126
Status
Not open for further replies.