Contribute
Register

How to build your own iMac Pro [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just by the way: High Sierra 10.13.4 Beta 4 was released!

does using beta have any performance impact? I would assume they could be running unoptimized compiled apps to provide better stack dump and additional logging. Just asking to see if you notice any? I am tempted to try out the beta as well even though my current 10.13.3 doesn't seem to have much of an issue (I only had 1 force close error on preview when resizing an image)

Update to 10.13.4 (17E170c) Public Beta 4

As already mentioned by DSM2 in post #5996, yesterday Apple released it's 10.13.4 (17E170c) Public Beta 4

10.13.4-17E170c.png

For the first time, the model name under "Hardware" of Apple's System Report reads now correctly "iMac Pro" :thumbup:

Model-Name.png

Enjoy and have fun :thumbup:

kgp.png

For those running the new beta 4, with an amd Vega. Only one DP port work. The Clover kernel patch no longer work. It's been confirmed that the VegaGraphicsFixup.kext I posted yesterday fix this problem and allow all DP ports to work

the Designare can drive 5K@60hz via Thunderbolt

No it unfortunately cannot.
The Designare TB port only supports a DP 1.2 injection.

As per Designare spec page.
https://www.gigabyte.com/au/Motherboard/X299-DESIGNARE-EX-rev-10#sp
"2 x Intel® Thunderbolt™ 3 connectors, supporting DisplayPort and Thunderbolt™ video outputs and a maximum resolution of 4096x2304@60 Hz"

I don't know of any solution that support TB 3 multiple DP signal (like a real imac pro does)

The DW1830 works also with the Designare! And no it’s not just the advantage of having 2 Thunderbolt ports. As I described already a couple of times: Better VRM Cooling, better Overclocking capability’s, 3 instead of 2 NVme drives possible on the Mainboard itself. No disconnection problems with the thunderbolt solution at all. ASUS ThunderboltEX 3 supports max 4k@60hz over thunderbolt where the onboard solution on the Designare can drive 5K@60hz via thunderbolt.

Should I continue?

In the end everyone should decide by himself.

Sure if you go the route with an X299 Designare EX there is also a downside : less USB ports compared to the X299 Deluxe and also no guide for it.

But everything what you need to get it running was already mentioned by myself and @kgp and afterwards by others. It’s no science!

In my previous post, I was basically replying on the No-PCIe Adapters statement of @macs_forever :wave:

VRM Colling is not an issue with the EK ASUS Prime X299 Deluxe Monoblock.. Sorry.. I am sure that the latter VRM Cooling is by far more efficient than the one currently implemented on the Designare EX.

"Better overclocking capabilities" are a matter of debate and a question of taste.

If one really needs 3 NVMe drives, yes.. However, if one aims at water blocking his NVMes, also this advantage is obsolete. NVMe water blocks basically require a PCIe NVMe slot implementation.

There is also no disconnection problem with the new TB hot plug SSDT, when using the TBEX 3.

Anyway I already repeatedly confirmed that with respect to TB, the Designare EX has clear advantages when compared with the ASUS Prime X299 Deluxe.

The remaining differences are minor, although it is obvious that the Designare EX is the newer mainboard, also e.g. featuring 2x 8pin CPU connectors instead off the 1x 8pin and 1x 4pin CPU connectors on the ASUS Prime X299 Deluxe. That's what you might address when speaking about better OC capabilities, however there are absolutely no OC issues with the ASUS Prime X299 Deluxe either, despite the reduced CPU power supply connectivity.

To make it once more clear, I like the Designare EX. No objections at all. However, there is absolutely no reason to discredit the ASUS Prime X299 Deluxe, only because you changed to the Designare EX a few months or weeks ago. Considering my specific needs, I don't see any reason for a change.

Everybody can choose the mainboard for his needs. Both mainboards are very good mainboards and a very good choice anyway.

I updated my guide to be as much as compatible with the Designare EX.. Most important differences are clearly identified, implemented and outlined. Your statement, that there is no guide for the Designare EX therefore is mostly wrong..

Cheers,

KGP

Last edited:
I understand that you enjoy patronising every single person in this thread and consider yourself as being a better person than the rest of us, but that doesn't change the facts on what I stated.
The Designare only supports DP 1.2 injection, so the limitations I've mentioned are correct. It doesn't support a 5K screen over a single TB3 port (like the LG TB3 screen). DP 1.2 do doesn't have the bandwidth required for those screens.
It will support a 5K screen like the HP z27q or the Dell UP2715K when using *TWO* cables. And the DP screen must be put as the last device on the TV chain.
There's nothing inherently better with the Designare TB port. It doesn't work with the TB3 - > 2xDP adapter that you commonly found.

And the only reason it supports 12 devices chaining, is because it has two ports, and amazingly 6*2=12

Also the GPU? :lol:;):thumbup:...

I am also a fan of the Designare EX, but I think we have to keep serious. Onboard WIFI just with the WIFI module suggested by @izo1.. But there is also an onboard WIFI solution for the ASUS Prime X299 Deluxe: DW1830 Model BCM943602BAED 802.11ac 1300Mbps Bluetooth 4.1 M.2 NGFF GKCG2. Thus the only advantage of the Designare EX is onboard TB with two TB ports instead of one ;)..
kgp, where was it discussed? is this card works as replacement of the card that comes with motherboard or it works only with CPIe adapter?

kgp, where was it discussed? is this card works as replacement of the card that comes with motherboard or it works only with CPIe adapter?

The BT/WIFI chips are replacements for the onboard BT/WIFI chips that come with the motherboards.. This solution is optional and can be used instead of implementing a PCIe adapter like the OSXWIFI.

If I can replace original M.2 card with OSX compatible one that would be the way to go for me. Right now I have PCIe adapter card and I would love to get rid of it and install the card directly on the motherboard.

Also the GPU? :lol:;):thumbup:...

I am also a fan of the Designare EX, but I think we have to keep serious. Onboard WIFI just with the WIFI module suggested by @izo1.. But there is also an onboard WIFI solution for the ASUS Prime X299 Deluxe : DW1830 Model BCM943602BAED 802.11ac 1300Mbps Bluetooth 4.1 M.2 NGFF GKCG2. Thus the only advantage of the Designare EX is onboard TB with two TB ports instead of one ;)..

LOL, that's kinda why it was the only thing I mentioned. I LIKE ASUS, but I need 2 tb ports. I'm using the MacBook Air wifi card with m.2 adapter. My only worry is that I may have to put the I/O shield into the mill to cut a slot If the combo won't fit under the cover. One of my wifi cards has 3 u.FL connectors. May look into slotting the I/O mount for 3 antennas too. :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back