Vega 64
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
hi
I am trying to install High Sierra on my system. I followed the guide, but to no avail and I don't know what am I doing wrong. I have a few questions:
- Patching BIOS for Asus motherboards is optional, right? I have not patched the BIOS and am using the TSCAdjustReset kext.

- Are the kexts Lilu, LiluFriend, nvidiaGraphicsFixup optional? I am not using these either.

I am using the EFI you have attached with the guide, and follow all other steps. I am using GTX 1080 Ti too, so I guess your guide should work. My other configuration is Rampage VI Extreme, and 7980xe. Kindly help

Hi @jaraheel,

1.) Please provide your Skylake-X/X299 system specs (mobo, CPU, GPU) in either your profile our signature.

2.) Your questions:

Yes, the ASUS BIOS patching is recommended but optional. Note that with unpatched BIOS, you have to use the "xcpm core scope" kernel patch, you likely have to check "KernelPM" and you need to use "TSCAdjustReset kext" in addition, which has to be primarily adopted to the number of threads-1 of your CPU.

LiluFriend is not required at all. NvidiaGraphicFixup is obsolete with SMBIOS iMacPro1,1. Lilu is just needed if you want to implement onboard analogue audio by means of AppleALC.

Note that for both my guide and my EFI-Folder distribution, the ASUS Prime X299 Deluxe is the baseline. Using the Rampage VI Extreme, it is your personal responsibility to account for deviations from both my guidelines and my EFi-Folder distribution.

User @Ramalama successfully runs the Rampage VI Extreme. I don't know if he is willing to help you in your issues.

Good luck and all the best,

KGP

Last edited:
Motherboard
Gigabyte TRX40 Aorus Xtreme
CPU
Ryzen 3970X
Graphics
RX 6800 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi @jaraheel,

1.) Please provide your Skylake-X/X299 system specs (mobo, CPU, GPU) in either your profile our signature.

2.) Your questions:

Yes, the ASUS BIOS patching is recommended but optional. Note that with unpatched BIOS, you have to use the "xcpm core scope" kernel patch, you likely have to check "KernelPM" and you need to use "TSCAdjustReset kext" in addition, which has to be primarily adopted to the number of threads-1 of your CPU.

LiluFriend is not required at all. NvidiaGraphicFixup is obsolete with SMBIOS iMacPro1,1. Lilu is just needed if you want to implement onboard analogue audio by means of AppleALC.

Note that for both my guide and my EFI-Folder distribution, the ASUS Prime X299 Deluxe is the baseline. Using the Rampage VI Extreme, it is your personal responsibility to account for deviations from both my guidelines and my EFi-Folder distribution.

User @Ramalama successfully runs the Rampage VI Extreme. I don't know if he is willing to help you in your issues.

Good luck and all the best,

KGP

Thanks a lot. I think I got it. I was able to install High Sierra successfully onto my system. Now onto post installation :) Thanks for the great guide!

Reactions: kgp
Motherboard
Asus ROG Rampage VI Apex
CPU
i9-9940X
Graphics
Vega 56 (64 BIOS)
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Classic
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
kgp said:
@macs_forever , @levifig, pete1959.

Also the sensor kexts and FakeSMC.kext of @interferenc work without problems. What does not properly work is the interface between Skylake-X/X299 Sensor information and HWMonitor.app and iStatMenus.app GUIs.

Unfortunately, in my case, I’m not even able to boot with CPUSensors.kext enabled (I have to disabled it in Clover or remove it from the kexts folder altogether in order to boot… :( (see attached photo)

In terms of the GUI side of things, once I’m able to boot with it and really see the issues with the apps you mentioned, I’d be more than happy to contribute.

Thank you for all your (and other’s) work on this stuff. Fantastic stuff here! <3

Attachments

• 66629712-42C1-45EC-A82C-031582AD290B.jpeg
    66629712-42C1-45EC-A82C-031582AD290B.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 198
Reactions: kgp
Motherboard
Asus Prime X299 Deluxe
CPU
i9-7960
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 128K
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi, I am currently pondering options to upgrade from my dual Xeon setup and was wondering if anyone could provide some advice.
I am a music pro and require more single core speed than the e5-2699 v4s can provide.
I have found a buyer for my current system for roughly 4k.
I recently built a coffelake 8700k from pastrychefs golden build for a fellow producer and it overclocked quite well and was hard to fault though I haven't thoroughly tested USB and PCI slots.
Reasons for going with this IMac Pro build here would be foremost native HWP , native USB ,more PCI Lanes (I run 2 PCIe audio cards and 2 DSP accelerators) and a higher multicore score with a 7960x (apparently DAW's cant use more than 32 threads anyway so no need for a 7980). This is roughly 2k more than the 8700k. I understand the performance/price goes way down with high end cpu's but with 550 pages to wade through I was wondering if there might be other stuff to weigh in the balance. Thunderbolt is of no use to me and I'm thinking of a GTX 1050 for basic 3 screen use.
Any advice well appreciated before I plonk my cash.

kgp

Retired
Motherboard
ASUS WS X299 Sage 10G
CPU
i9-7980XE
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi, I am currently pondering options to upgrade from my dual Xeon setup and was wondering if anyone could provide some advice.
I am a music pro and require more single core speed than the e5-2699 v4s can provide.
I have found a buyer for my current system for roughly 4k.
I recently built a coffelake 8700k from pastrychefs golden build for a fellow producer and it overclocked quite well and was hard to fault though I haven't thoroughly tested USB and PCI slots.
Reasons for going with this IMac Pro build here would be foremost native HWP , native USB ,more PCI Lanes (I run 2 PCIe audio cards and 2 DSP accelerators) and a higher multicore score with a 7960x (apparently DAW's cant use more than 32 threads anyway so no need for a 7980). This is roughly 2k more than the 8700k. I understand the performance/price goes way down with high end cpu's but with 550 pages to wade through I was wondering if there might be other stuff to weigh in the balance. Thunderbolt is of no use to me and I'm thinking of a GTX 1050 for basic 3 screen use.
Any advice well appreciated before I plonk my cash.

I don't want to influence your component choice at all. Anyway, just a few recommendations from my side.

To have 100% compatibility with my guide (incl. BIOS settings) and my EFI-Folder distribution, I would still stay with the ASUS Prime X299 Deluxe, even if you do not need the TBEX 3 (you can sell it if you don't need it). If you opt for any other motherboard, please be ware that you also have to take responsibility to account for deviations from with my guide (incl. BIOS settings) and my EFI-Folder distribution.

To drive your GTX 1050 with 3 screens, you will probably have to enable CSM in the BIOS and add CsmVideoDXE-64.efi to /EFI/Clover/kexts/Other/.. Something I don't like at all and I only recommend if there is no other alternative. Do you really need CUDA? Else I would rather opt for a natively implemented ATI Sapphire RX Vega 64 (8GB) or at least for the Sapphire RX 580 Pulse (8GB).

Also think about one of the recommended BT/WIFI solutions. Onboard WIFI of most of the X299 motherboards will be useless.

The i9-7960X, certainly would be a good decision, as any i9-79xx is.... (stay away from i7 CPUs - only 28 PCIe lanes!)

Regarding DDR4, proof that the envisaged memory is compatible with your motherboard. I would opt for DDR4 =/> 3200 MHz, if possible.

Think about some adequate CPU water blocking.. minimum recommendation for all i9-79xx without OC: Corsair H150i

PSU: 860W-1500W

Good luck and have fun,

KGP

RuleBreaker01

Banned
Did you plug your graphics card output into the thunderbolt input?

Yes.

I wouldn't have anything displayed otherwise.

I've swapped the Asus Prime for a Gigabyte X299 Designare. TB is working just fine on Windows. On the Asus I could only plug the TB connector to the Apple TB display after POST had completed, otherwise I would get an error about too much USB power draw.

The Designare works just fine which is a relief.
Very well build board. But now the hackintosh I had made with the Prime no longer boot :(

Motherboard
Asus ROG Rampage VI Apex
CPU
i9-9940X
Graphics
Vega 56 (64 BIOS)
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Classic
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
pete1959 said:
The FakeSMC can do that, or the type of sensors. Try these - they work on my 7900x.
Also make sure you don't have duplicate FakeSMC in system or Lib.

THANK YOU!!!
This worked! :D

RuleBreaker01

Banned
I don't want to influence your component choice at all. Anyway, just a few recommendations from my side.

Think about some adequate CPU water blocking.. minimum recommendation for all i9-79xx without OC: Corsair H150i

Thank you for your awesome guide, it got me running in no time with the Asus Prime.

Nous that I've switched to the gigabyte board, it no longer boots. I'm suspecting that it's the MSR 0Xe2 refister thst is read only, however from your description of that was the case I would get a kp, it just hangs...

In regards to cooler, I replaced the H150i with the H115i as I got a smaller case, I notice no difference between the two, quite the opposite even, the H115i gives me about 5C lower than the 150 at peak speed

Motherboard
Asus Prime X299 Deluxe
CPU
i9-7960
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 128K
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS

To have 100% compatibility with my guide (incl. BIOS settings) and my EFI-Folder distribution, I would still stay with the ASUS Prime X299 Deluxe, even if you do not need the TBEX 3 (you can sell it if you don't need it). If you opt for any other motherboard, please be ware that you also have to take responsibility to account for deviations from with my guide (incl. BIOS settings) and my EFI-Folder distribution.

To drive your GTX 1050 with 3 screens, you will probably have to enable CSM in the BIOS and add CsmVideoDXE-64.efi to /EFI/Clover/kexts/Other/.. Something I don't like at all and I only recommend if there is no other alternative. Do you really need CUDA? Else I would rather opt for a natively implemented ATI Sapphire RX Vega 64 (8GB) or at least for the Sapphire RX 580 Pulse (8GB).

Also think about one of the recommended BT/WIFI solutions. Onboard WIFI of most of the X299 motherboards will be useless.

The i9-7960X, certainly would be a good decision, as any i9-79xx is.... (stay away from i7 CPUs - only 28 PCIe lanes!)

Regarding DDR4, proof that the envisaged memory is compatible with your motherboard. I would opt for DDR4 =/> 3200 MHz, if possible.

PSU: 860W-1500W

Good luck and have fun,

KGP

Thanks so much for your insight, I wasn't expecting this much help.
Of course the whole point is using the same MB you worked so hard on otherwise it doesn't make much sense.
With the TDP of these processors it makes sense to go with a high end MB and not skimp.
Indeed I could sell the TB3 card , hadn't thought about that.
I'll go with the Sapphire RX580 if that's what you recommend , I have no need for Cuda and my graphic needs are low.
Wifi I can do without and Bluetooth as well.
So 7960x/ Prime x299 Deluxe / RX580 / Seasonic Prime 1300 Gold / 32G Trident Z DDR4 Ram /Corsair 750D Case/ Samsung SSD 960 PCIe M2/ EKWB EK KIT X360 all just over 4K, the price I can sell my dual Xeon hack for.
It's a tough decision because the Xeons have served me well despite nagging USB problems but the low clock (2.2Ghz) is really a problem in certain situations.
I was initially intrigued by pastrychef's 8700k build as it was straightforward and worked first time. It overclocks easy on air but then I realised that geekbench only tells half the story and that DAWbench shows very different numbers for my specific use. I made the same mistake with the 2x44 core Xeons , not choosing the right CPU for the application.
I'll post back when it's done and tested, hopefully without any more nagging.

Thanks again, this build is thorough and inspiring.

kgp

Retired
Motherboard
ASUS WS X299 Sage 10G
CPU
i9-7980XE
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Thanks so much for your insight, I wasn't expecting this much help.
Of course the whole point is using the same MB you worked so hard on otherwise it doesn't make much sense.
With the TDP of these processors it makes sense to go with a high end MB and not skimp.
Indeed I could sell the TB3 card , hadn't thought about that.
I'll go with the Sapphire RX580 if that's what you recommend , I have no need for Cuda and my graphic needs are low.
Wifi I can do without and Bluetooth as well.
So 7960x/ Prime x299 Deluxe / RX580 / Seasonic Prime 1300 Gold / 32G Trident Z DDR4 Ram /Corsair 750D Case/ Samsung SSD 960 PCIe M2/ EKWB EK KIT X360 all just over 4K, the price I can sell my dual Xeon hack for.
It's a tough decision because the Xeons have served me well despite nagging USB problems but the low clock (2.2Ghz) is really a problem in certain situations.
I was initially intrigued by pastrychef's 8700k build as it was straightforward and worked first time. It overclocks easy on air but then I realised that geekbench only tells half the story and that DAWbench shows very different numbers for my specific use. I made the same mistake with the 2x44 core Xeons , not choosing the right CPU for the application.
I'll post back when it's done and tested, hopefully without any more nagging.

Thanks again, this build is thorough and inspiring.

Just one last recommendation.. If you get a reasonable deal for the Sapphire RX Vega 64 (at about 600$), take the latter GPU instead of the Sapphire RX 580 Pulse..

Enjoy and have fun,

KGP

Status
Not open for further replies.