Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
The EVO slow way down after writing 13-26GB from what I have seen on youtube. The Pro has no write cache limitation. The 960 Pro uses MLC vs the slower/cheaper TLC in the EVO. It would only be a serious problem when copying VMs. Once they have been duplicated there would be little difference.

Well, I rather witness some thermal throttling of NVMEs mounted below the ASUS Prime X299 Deluxe M.2 head sink..

kgp

Retired
Motherboard
ASUS WS X299 Sage 10G
CPU
i9-7980XE
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
The Gigabyte Designare EX has the TB3 built into the motherboard. I wonder if the thunderbolt will continue to show up under PCIe slots.

Under PCIe slots? You mean under "PCI" of Apple's System Report? I guess only by means of a properly adopted SSDT-X299-iMacPro.aml and certainly not as a PCI slot device as it is build-in..

Last edited:
Motherboard
X299 Designare EX
CPU
i9-7980XE
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 512K
  2. Plus
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Well, I rather witness some thermal throttling of NVMEs mounted below the ASUS Prime X299 Deluxe M.2 head sink..
Really? Even with a heatsink? bummer. leads to another question, Do you have more case fans blowing in or out? The higher the air density, the better the cooling.

Motherboard
Asus ROG Rampage VI Apex
CPU
i9-9940X
Graphics
Vega 56 (64 BIOS)
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Classic
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Still getting a KP when using the latest CPUSensors (interferenc's)… :( Everything else seems to be working great, but I really miss having temp details on iStat (though I can still get a glance at package temp in the Intel Power Gadget). Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Motherboard
X299 Designare EX
CPU
i9-7980XE
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 512K
  2. Plus
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
pete1959 said:
Sure. It's a well known problem no matter the OS. Just run the speed test repeatedly and by the third or fourth iteration it goes down to about a quarter of it's normal speed.
I have a great heatsink and great case airflow. No difference. They get hot and slow down.
Crucial SATA M.2 drives don't slow down. They die. I have 2 $300 pieces of scrap to prove it.

kgp

Retired
Motherboard
ASUS WS X299 Sage 10G
CPU
i9-7980XE
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
pete1959 said:
Sure. It's a well known problem no matter the OS. Just run the speed test repeatedly and by the third or fourth iteration it goes down to about a quarter of it's normal speed.
I have a great heatsink and great case airflow. No difference. They get hot and slow down.

I agree with Pete, @macs_forever.. BTW.. I have 20 Thermaltake Ring fans properly set all around my case and radiators..

kgp

Retired
Motherboard
ASUS WS X299 Sage 10G
CPU
i9-7980XE
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
pete1959 said:
The FakeSMC can do that, or the type of sensors. Try these - they work on my 7900x. Also make sure you don't have duplicate FakeSMC in system or Lib.

@macs_forever , @levifig, pete1959.

Also the sensor kexts and FakeSMC.kext of @interferenc work without problems. What does not properly work is the interface between Skylake-X/X299 Sensor information and HWMonitor.app and iStatMenus.app GUIs.

In case of the i9-7980XE, CPU temps, frequencies, voltages are just shown for 8-10 threads instead for all 36 threads. One onboard fan header sensor information is also missing for the ASUS Prime X299 Deluxe. My AORUS 1080Ti is water blocked, however both GUIs show a fan speed of 30rpm, etc.

Following the tests of @interferenc , the sensor information is complete but improperly used by the Monitoring GUIs.

I wrote to BJango on Twitter and I also opened a ticket on Github: https://sourceforge.net/p/hwsensors/hwsensors3/tickets/2/.
The Github ticket remains untouched and open for weeks, no answer from BJango either..

If you want to help in the sensor issue, please comment on the Github ticket and also write to BJango on Twitter with ideas and results, which help, support and witness general interest in fixing the HWMonitor and iStatMenus issues.

In my opinion, all our sensor monitoring claims here along this thread are totally useless and just a waste of time. We have to commonly address the issues to the monitoring GUI developers and clarify that modifications of the GUIs are urgently needed when running the respective apps on Skylake-X/X299 platforms.

Cheers,

KGP

Last edited:
Motherboard
MSI X299 Xpower Gaming AC
CPU
Intel Core i9-7980XE
Graphics
AMD RX Vega 64
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 128K
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I'm also talking directly to Bjango for iStat Menus. They are working on a new version that supports reporting of more cores and sensors. It's in the works for now but hopefully they'll keep me posted. I offered to beta test for them and they seemed pleased, so it's just a matter of time.

kgp

Retired
Motherboard
ASUS WS X299 Sage 10G
CPU
i9-7980XE
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Successful Update to macOS High Sierra 10.13.3 SA (17D2102)

10.13.3-SA-17D2102.png

Important Notification: Note the new macOS Build number 17D2102! No official Nvidia Web Driver has been released yet for 17D2102! Thus, all Nvidia users have to work with the xx.106 or xx.157 Web-Deriver Patch-Workaround fully described in Section E.2) - Graphics Configuration, until an official Nvidia Web Driver has been released for 17D2102!

The guide in the originating post of this thread will be updated, as soon the latter Web Driver is available.

Enjoy and have fun,

kgp.png

Motherboard
Gigabyte TRX40 Aorus Xtreme
CPU
Ryzen 3970X
Graphics
RX 6800 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
hi
I am trying to install High Sierra on my system. I followed the guide, but to no avail and I don't know what am I doing wrong. I have a few questions:
- Patching BIOS for Asus motherboards is optional, right? I have not patched the BIOS and am using the TSCAdjustReset kext.

- Are the kexts Lilu, LiluFriend, nvidiaGraphicsFixup optional? I am not using these either.

I am using the EFI you have attached with the guide, and follow all other steps. I am using GTX 1080 Ti too, so I guess your guide should work. My other configuration is Rampage VI Extreme, and 7980xe. Kindly help

Status
Not open for further replies.