Contribute
Register

How to build your own iMac Pro [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
pete1959 said:
Sure. It's a well known problem no matter the OS. Just run the speed test repeatedly and by the third or fourth iteration it goes down to about a quarter of it's normal speed.
I have a great heatsink and great case airflow. No difference. They get hot and slow down.

I agree with Pete, @macs_forever.. BTW.. I have 20 Thermaltake Ring fans properly set all around my case and radiators..

pete1959 said:
The FakeSMC can do that, or the type of sensors. Try these - they work on my 7900x. Also make sure you don't have duplicate FakeSMC in system or Lib.

@macs_forever , @levifig, pete1959.

Also the sensor kexts and FakeSMC.kext of @interferenc work without problems. What does not properly work is the interface between Skylake-X/X299 Sensor information and HWMonitor.app and iStatMenus.app GUIs.

In case of the i9-7980XE, CPU temps, frequencies, voltages are just shown for 8-10 threads instead for all 36 threads. One onboard fan header sensor information is also missing for the ASUS Prime X299 Deluxe. My AORUS 1080Ti is water blocked, however both GUIs show a fan speed of 30rpm, etc.

Following the tests of @interferenc , the sensor information is complete but improperly used by the Monitoring GUIs.

I wrote to BJango on Twitter and I also opened a ticket on Github: https://sourceforge.net/p/hwsensors/hwsensors3/tickets/2/.
The Github ticket remains untouched and open for weeks, no answer from BJango either..

If you want to help in the sensor issue, please comment on the Github ticket and also write to BJango on Twitter with ideas and results, which help, support and witness general interest in fixing the HWMonitor and iStatMenus issues.

In my opinion, all our sensor monitoring claims here along this thread are totally useless and just a waste of time. We have to commonly address the issues to the monitoring GUI developers and clarify that modifications of the GUIs are urgently needed when running the respective apps on Skylake-X/X299 platforms.

Cheers,

KGP

Last edited:
I'm also talking directly to Bjango for iStat Menus. They are working on a new version that supports reporting of more cores and sensors. It's in the works for now but hopefully they'll keep me posted. I offered to beta test for them and they seemed pleased, so it's just a matter of time.

Successful Update to macOS High Sierra 10.13.3 SA (17D2102)

10.13.3-SA-17D2102.png

Important Notification: Note the new macOS Build number 17D2102! No official Nvidia Web Driver has been released yet for 17D2102! Thus, all Nvidia users have to work with the xx.106 or xx.157 Web-Deriver Patch-Workaround fully described in Section E.2) - Graphics Configuration, until an official Nvidia Web Driver has been released for 17D2102!

The guide in the originating post of this thread will be updated, as soon the latter Web Driver is available.

Enjoy and have fun,

kgp.png

hi
I am trying to install High Sierra on my system. I followed the guide, but to no avail and I don't know what am I doing wrong. I have a few questions:
- Patching BIOS for Asus motherboards is optional, right? I have not patched the BIOS and am using the TSCAdjustReset kext.

- Are the kexts Lilu, LiluFriend, nvidiaGraphicsFixup optional? I am not using these either.

I am using the EFI you have attached with the guide, and follow all other steps. I am using GTX 1080 Ti too, so I guess your guide should work. My other configuration is Rampage VI Extreme, and 7980xe. Kindly help

hi
I am trying to install High Sierra on my system. I followed the guide, but to no avail and I don't know what am I doing wrong. I have a few questions:
- Patching BIOS for Asus motherboards is optional, right? I have not patched the BIOS and am using the TSCAdjustReset kext.

- Are the kexts Lilu, LiluFriend, nvidiaGraphicsFixup optional? I am not using these either.

I am using the EFI you have attached with the guide, and follow all other steps. I am using GTX 1080 Ti too, so I guess your guide should work. My other configuration is Rampage VI Extreme, and 7980xe. Kindly help

Hi @jaraheel,

1.) Please provide your Skylake-X/X299 system specs (mobo, CPU, GPU) in either your profile our signature.

2.) Your questions:

Yes, the ASUS BIOS patching is recommended but optional. Note that with unpatched BIOS, you have to use the "xcpm core scope" kernel patch, you likely have to check "KernelPM" and you need to use "TSCAdjustReset kext" in addition, which has to be primarily adopted to the number of threads-1 of your CPU.

LiluFriend is not required at all. NvidiaGraphicFixup is obsolete with SMBIOS iMacPro1,1. Lilu is just needed if you want to implement onboard analogue audio by means of AppleALC.

Note that for both my guide and my EFI-Folder distribution, the ASUS Prime X299 Deluxe is the baseline. Using the Rampage VI Extreme, it is your personal responsibility to account for deviations from both my guidelines and my EFi-Folder distribution.

User @Ramalama successfully runs the Rampage VI Extreme. I don't know if he is willing to help you in your issues.

Good luck and all the best,

KGP

Last edited:
Hi @jaraheel,

1.) Please provide your Skylake-X/X299 system specs (mobo, CPU, GPU) in either your profile our signature.

2.) Your questions:

Yes, the ASUS BIOS patching is recommended but optional. Note that with unpatched BIOS, you have to use the "xcpm core scope" kernel patch, you likely have to check "KernelPM" and you need to use "TSCAdjustReset kext" in addition, which has to be primarily adopted to the number of threads-1 of your CPU.

LiluFriend is not required at all. NvidiaGraphicFixup is obsolete with SMBIOS iMacPro1,1. Lilu is just needed if you want to implement onboard analogue audio by means of AppleALC.

Note that for both my guide and my EFI-Folder distribution, the ASUS Prime X299 Deluxe is the baseline. Using the Rampage VI Extreme, it is your personal responsibility to account for deviations from both my guidelines and my EFi-Folder distribution.

User @Ramalama successfully runs the Rampage VI Extreme. I don't know if he is willing to help you in your issues.

Good luck and all the best,

KGP

Thanks a lot. I think I got it. I was able to install High Sierra successfully onto my system. Now onto post installation :) Thanks for the great guide!

Reactions: kgp
kgp said:
@macs_forever , @levifig, pete1959.

Also the sensor kexts and FakeSMC.kext of @interferenc work without problems. What does not properly work is the interface between Skylake-X/X299 Sensor information and HWMonitor.app and iStatMenus.app GUIs.

Unfortunately, in my case, I’m not even able to boot with CPUSensors.kext enabled (I have to disabled it in Clover or remove it from the kexts folder altogether in order to boot… :( (see attached photo)

In terms of the GUI side of things, once I’m able to boot with it and really see the issues with the apps you mentioned, I’d be more than happy to contribute.

Thank you for all your (and other’s) work on this stuff. Fantastic stuff here! <3

Attachments

• 66629712-42C1-45EC-A82C-031582AD290B.jpeg
    66629712-42C1-45EC-A82C-031582AD290B.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 207
Reactions: kgp
Hi, I am currently pondering options to upgrade from my dual Xeon setup and was wondering if anyone could provide some advice.
I am a music pro and require more single core speed than the e5-2699 v4s can provide.
I have found a buyer for my current system for roughly 4k.
I recently built a coffelake 8700k from pastrychefs golden build for a fellow producer and it overclocked quite well and was hard to fault though I haven't thoroughly tested USB and PCI slots.
Reasons for going with this IMac Pro build here would be foremost native HWP , native USB ,more PCI Lanes (I run 2 PCIe audio cards and 2 DSP accelerators) and a higher multicore score with a 7960x (apparently DAW's cant use more than 32 threads anyway so no need for a 7980). This is roughly 2k more than the 8700k. I understand the performance/price goes way down with high end cpu's but with 550 pages to wade through I was wondering if there might be other stuff to weigh in the balance. Thunderbolt is of no use to me and I'm thinking of a GTX 1050 for basic 3 screen use.
Any advice well appreciated before I plonk my cash.

Hi, I am currently pondering options to upgrade from my dual Xeon setup and was wondering if anyone could provide some advice.
I am a music pro and require more single core speed than the e5-2699 v4s can provide.
I have found a buyer for my current system for roughly 4k.
I recently built a coffelake 8700k from pastrychefs golden build for a fellow producer and it overclocked quite well and was hard to fault though I haven't thoroughly tested USB and PCI slots.
Reasons for going with this IMac Pro build here would be foremost native HWP , native USB ,more PCI Lanes (I run 2 PCIe audio cards and 2 DSP accelerators) and a higher multicore score with a 7960x (apparently DAW's cant use more than 32 threads anyway so no need for a 7980). This is roughly 2k more than the 8700k. I understand the performance/price goes way down with high end cpu's but with 550 pages to wade through I was wondering if there might be other stuff to weigh in the balance. Thunderbolt is of no use to me and I'm thinking of a GTX 1050 for basic 3 screen use.
Any advice well appreciated before I plonk my cash.

I don't want to influence your component choice at all. Anyway, just a few recommendations from my side.

To have 100% compatibility with my guide (incl. BIOS settings) and my EFI-Folder distribution, I would still stay with the ASUS Prime X299 Deluxe, even if you do not need the TBEX 3 (you can sell it if you don't need it). If you opt for any other motherboard, please be ware that you also have to take responsibility to account for deviations from with my guide (incl. BIOS settings) and my EFI-Folder distribution.

To drive your GTX 1050 with 3 screens, you will probably have to enable CSM in the BIOS and add CsmVideoDXE-64.efi to /EFI/Clover/kexts/Other/.. Something I don't like at all and I only recommend if there is no other alternative. Do you really need CUDA? Else I would rather opt for a natively implemented ATI Sapphire RX Vega 64 (8GB) or at least for the Sapphire RX 580 Pulse (8GB).

Also think about one of the recommended BT/WIFI solutions. Onboard WIFI of most of the X299 motherboards will be useless.

The i9-7960X, certainly would be a good decision, as any i9-79xx is.... (stay away from i7 CPUs - only 28 PCIe lanes!)

Regarding DDR4, proof that the envisaged memory is compatible with your motherboard. I would opt for DDR4 =/> 3200 MHz, if possible.

Think about some adequate CPU water blocking.. minimum recommendation for all i9-79xx without OC: Corsair H150i

PSU: 860W-1500W

Good luck and have fun,

KGP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back