Contribute
Register

How to build your own iMac Pro [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some good news @kgp, what version of Logic Pro are you running?

First and foremost, thank you again for your help, your knowledge and your resolve in pushing people to look inward in fixing their problems. I much appreciated your IPG picture & explanation of the difference between the SK27 bug & the BIOS firmware patch to unlock the register.

FWIW, my IPG was already looking identical to yours for both the cinebench & the Logic benchmark test, which is what was causing my so much confusion, as it looked like my all the speedstepping & core optimization was working perfectly on my machine.

My BIOS settings were not the problem, though I defaulted everything back to your guide including voltage to AUTO. I’m still learning about editing the .aml but thank you so much for verifying my EFI folder.

Sadly what fixed my problem was updating Logic from 10.3.2 (released July 2017) to 10.4 (released January 2018)

When I started this build 2 weeks ago I did not have access to Logic at all, only MainStage. After your initial reply mentioning step E.13), I managed to get find Logic 10.3.2 online to give the HyperthreadingBug.logicx a try but it failed above 24 tracks. Over the last 3 days I tried at least 7-8 fresh installs to track down my personal error but nothing worked.

Today I managed to find & install Logic Pro 10.4 and now E.13) Logic-X and Audio Studio Software Functionality works just fine. I can load 35 tracks now as opposed to 24. Thankyou again for your determination in helping me look inward.

Although I am still tracking down some audio issues in my personal setup, I am hoping they will similarly be related to outdated 3rd party software not yet designed for x299/18 core optimization (hopefully MainStage will be releasing their update soon)

One last question @kpg, as I said before my machine lives with me in a box-truck and in the next few days ambient temperatures will be reaching -17 celsius, so I am hoping to try some overclocking!!!! I do appreciate your water cooling setup and I will most likely be switching over to the plate system when summer approaches, but was curious the BIOS procedure for hitting 4.7…?

In post #5266 you mention “I am currently successfully running my i9-7980XE @ 4.7 GHz (max. Turbo Frequency Ratio of 47) with "CPU Core Ratio" set to "Sync All Cores" and "CPU Core Voltage" set to "AUTO”.”

Silly question but does "Max Turbo Frequency ratio" = “Max CPU Cache Ratio” in BIOS or are you referring to “all-core ratio limit”?

Thank you kindly,

I am running Logic-X version 10.13.3.. Glad that I could contribute in fixing your Logic-X issue.

I would not recommend to run the i9-7980XE @ 4.7 GHz with your current water blocking.. Carefully watch CPU Temps in any case and stepwise increase the CPU Frequency. What I mention in post #5266 is correct. "CPU Core Ratio" set to "Sync All Cores" and "CPU Core Voltage" set to "AUTO”. I guess with "Max Turbo Frequency ratio" I refer to “all-core ratio limit”? No sure, have to check that once more..

Warning! Don't use your PC at ambient temperatures around or below 0 deg C if you do not account for further absolutely necessary condensation preventions! Your PC would just blow-off ;)

How did you fix it? I am also having sleep problems.

I guess by basically patching the ASUS Prime X299 Deluxe with the most recent BIOS firmware patches provided by @interferenc ;)

BTW.. @TheOfficialGypsy, do you really still use BIOS 1004 as stated in your profile?

I guess by basically patching the ASUS Prime X299 Deluxe with the most recent BIOS firmware patches provided by @interferenc ;)
Can you please share a link to the patch if it is not in your instructions on the first page?
BTW kgp, my ASUS should arrive today :headbang:

Reactions: kgp
What was your final mainboard decision?
I'm getting the Designaire EX for the 3 m.2 ssds and 2 thunderbolt 3s. Man this stuff is expensive, over $2K just for a minimum system config. It will have to wait until after a wedding I've got to pay for. In the mean time I'll watch for parts to go on sale. I REALLY was not planning on a 1500w power supply but that's what the calculator recommends. Oh well...

Anyone managed to get an Apple Thunderbolt display to work with this board booting under macOS 10.13?

When booting windows it all works (so long as I plug the screen after POST screen, otherwise I get an error that the USB current draw is too high and the machine turns off)

Under macOS however, I see nothing at all.. I don't see any TB adapter/devices either, even though my pegasus R4 is properly mounted...

I've now activated all the DSDT patches in clover configuration, but no changes :(

Did you plug your graphics card output into the thunderbolt input?

I'm getting the Designaire EX for the 3 m.2 ssds and 2 thunderbolt 3s. Man this stuff is expensive, over $2K just for a minimum system config. It will have to wait until after a wedding I've got to pay for. In the mean time I'll watch for parts to go on sale. I REALLY was not planning on a 1500w power supply but that's what the calculator recommends. Oh well...

Only the i9-7980XE is nearly 2K ;)

True, and $1600 for 128GB of memory and $4-5k for all the 2tb nvme drives is a killer. Starting small.

$4-5k for all the 2tb nvme drives? wow... I would just start with a 500MB to 1TB NVMe macOS system drive for 450$ at most.. :lol:

$4-5k for all the 2tb nvme drives? wow... I would just start with a 500MB to 1TB NVMe macOS system drive for 450$ at most.. :lol:
a 1TB 960 pro is over $600, the 2TB 960 pros are $1223. I think I am going to replace the 960 pro in my tiny hack with a cheap SATA version or an EVO and use it initially in the "VMWare Hackintosh" I guess that's what I'll call it. Need a better name. Anyway, It will likely take a couple of years to get the whole thing populated the way I like. hoping the prices come down over time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back