Contribute
Register

How to build your own iMac Pro [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Off topic, but I know a few of you have posted about it before on this thread.

Can anyone recommend a great 4K monitor - size between 34 - 42 inch.

@kgp - I remember you posted a pic of your monitor somewhere in the thread - what was the model of it ?

Thanks !

@kgp - I remember you posted a pic of your monitor somewhere in the thread - what was the model of it ?

Thanks !

LG 38UC99-W

This monitor is just awesome..

I am more than happy with it.. and I can fully recommend it..

but it is an 38" UltraWide Display (21:9, 3840x1600 pix, curved).. I don't know if this is what you are looking for.

Only disadvantage: It has just 1 DP port but 2 HDMI ports.. I use a DeLock DP port switch which works flawless to connect my X99 and X299 Rig. The DeLock DP port switch is about 89$ and has infrared remote control, very fancy ;):lol:...

Last edited:

Thanks !

From my few days comparisons before buy CF791 ... the best one price/quality/refresh rate etc etc...
was:
LG 38UC99-W - 38" - sRGB over 99% - 10 bit Monitor 3840 x 1600 up to 75Hz - 14ms (KGP great, beautiful 10 bit monster) :)
LG 34UC98-W - 34" ------all the same like 38" .... (60Hz)
or mine
Samsung CF791-34" - sRGB 125% - 8 bit - 3440 x 1440 - 100 Hz - 4ms (more for confortable work and some fastest games sometimes with 100Hz things change a lot :)) All curved - which btw is worth in my opinion.
but maybe today you can find something slightly better in price or few Hz more.. :) so you can look on compare-sites :)

From my few days comparisons before buy CF791 ... the best one price/quality/refresh rate etc etc...
was:
LG 38UC99-W - 38" - sRGB over 99% - 10 bit Monitor 3840 x 1600 up to 75Hz - 14ms
LG 34UC98-W - 34" ------all the same like 38" .... (60Hz)
or mine
Samsung CF791-34" - sRGB 125% - 8 bit - 3440 x 1440 - 100 Hz - 4ms
but maybe today you can find something slightly better in price or few Hz more.. :)

Sure, I bought my monitor few months ago. At this time the LG 38UC99-W - 38" was the only 38" UltraWide Display. Now a few other models and brands might have added..

So up to anybodies choice..

@ccozmo just asked me, which monitor I am using and I answered in response ;)

BTW.. I thought your are sleeping ... You should not reply here but rest. I need you to do the test as soon as possible :lol:

Thus stop making promotion for your tiny 34" screen and rather sleep! :lol:

BTW... I have to correct your details for the LG 38UC99-W ;):

LG 38UC99-W - 38" - 1,073 Mrd. (8bit+FRC) over 99% sRGB - 10 bit Monitor - 3840 x 1600 pix - up to 100Hz with AMD FreeSync - response time 5ms (1ms Motion Blur Reduction)

Last edited:
That's a nice monitor @kgp ! No issues with the GTX1080ti driving full screen on it yeah ?

Thanks @kgp and @mgregrs :) My Dell 30" just died, so need to find a good replacement

I have the 38uc99-w too, but you can get same monitor much cheaper from acer :) look for the 38" from acer it have the same panel...

But however in 1-2 months there will be monitors with displayport 1.4, that means better refresh rates@better resolutions...
The only downside from the 38inch 3840x1600 panels is, they dont support hdcp 2.2, they only support hdcp 1.4...
That means, no netflix in 4k or amazon video in 4k... Max what you get with hdcp 1.4 is fullhd...

Cheers:)

That's a nice monitor @kgp ! No issues with the GTX1080ti driving full screen on it yeah ?

Thanks @kgp and @mgregrs :) My Dell 30" just died, so need to find a good replacement

No.. absolutely no issues.. my Gigabyte Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti WaterForce WB 11GB Xtreme Edition just works splendid with the 38UC99-W, also under Windows and Gaming.. Nothing to complain about..

If you are a Video Editor (like me), you'll want one of the newer monitors that support HDR: LG 32UD99-W
  • 4K UHD (3840 x 2160) IPS
  • HDR 10
  • DCI-P3 95% (CIE 1976) Color Gamut (for Editors, this parameter is very important!)
  • HDCP 2.2 Compatible
However, this is the monitor I'm currently using: LG 43UD79-B, it's 43" (10 bit) and ultra-bright (but its not HDR), but the size is such that it takes some time to get used to. On the other hand, the size is very useful if you run lots of windows (which I do). But, the next monitor I buy will support HDR. My current LG is nice because it has a remote control, and very aggressive energy support (which means it will shut itself off when I'm not at the computer). I wish my current monitor supported HDR, but the next one will.

Last edited:
Yeah I tested it out for HFS, as RAID is not officially supported for APFS. The write speeds were faster, however I'm going to wait until I find out how iMacPro does it with APFS and then try again

Below is a screen shot of test with single APFS drive, and RAID HFS drive

View attachment 309867
View attachment 309868

The iMac Pro has the new T2 chip for some security operations....among those tasks, it's a controller raid for the 2 SSD....and encryption of all datas written.
If you try to put the 2 ssd on other iMac Pro...all datas will be anyway unreadable also without FileVault on (Secure Enclave inside T2 chip).
T2 chip shows the 2 ssd as a single disk!

You do not use NvidiaGraphicsFix.kext v1.2.2 with Lilu.kext v1.2.1? This should automatically add HDAU on your system.

Just connect a different DP board with your monitor. The digital audio signal is not on all DP boards of your GPU.

Hope that helps..
i use only HDMI no DP.
nvidiaGraphicsFix.kext and lilu.kext presents.
i have tried to reboot with the second HDMI PORT connect to monitor but with no sounds.
no HDAU on system information in about this mac.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back