Contribute
Register

How to build your own iMac Pro [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey @kgp, do you mind providing the methodology you've been using for DSDT renames?

R6E is a bit different from your motherboard and some renames don't apply unfortunately.

From what I understand you've been using a real iMacPro1,1 ioreg dump and tried to match what needs to be renamed. But I fail to understand what's the practical methodology used to spot what needs to be renamed. For example, some renames are obvious, such as "TMR_ -> TIMR" because the naming is kinda similar. But how do you know that the following rename is correct: "FPU_ -> MATH"? Also how do you know that it has a positive impact on the system? And how do you know that the system doesn't natively use "FPU_" when this one is found instead of "MATH"? Where are these names being picked up by the system?

Thanks.

Hey @kgp, do you mind providing the methodology you've been using for DSDT renames?

R6E is a bit different from your motherboard and some renames don't apply unfortunately.

From what I understand you've been using a real iMacPro1,1 ioreg dump and tried to match what needs to be renamed. But I fail to understand what's the practical methodology used to spot what needs to be renamed. For example, some renames are obvious, such as "TMR_ -> TIMR" because the naming is kinda similar. But how do you know that the following rename is correct: "FPU_ -> MATH"? Also how do you know that it has a positive impact on the system? And how do you know that the system doesn't natively use "FPU_" when this one is found instead of "MATH"? Where are these names being picked up by the system?

Thanks.

Please don't worry about ACPI DSDT Replacement patches like TIMR or MATH. These are the real Mac Variable names. They are totally independent from your mainboard and have absolutely nothing to do with possible issues with your Rampage VI.

However, there are indeed build depended replacements, which are clearly identified as such within the short descriptions to each ACPI DSDT Patch replacement. The same states btw. also for all SSDT.aml implementations.

Good luck!

Please don't worry about ACPI DSDT Replacement patches like TIMR or MATH. These are the real Mac Variable names. They are totally independent from your mainboard and have absolutely nothing to do with possible issues with your Rampage VI.

However, there are indeed build depended replacements, which are clearly identified as such within the short descriptions to each ACPI DSDT Patch replacement. The same states btw. also for all SSDT.aml implementations.

Good luck!

I'm mostly worried about the other replacements that you suggest, which are not found for the R6E. For instance, "IDER" is not found on ioreg dump of R6E motherboard, and from what you state it is required... so I'm thinking that the naming might be different on this board. There are other replacement examples I have identified as well that you state are important, for example the USB-related ones... for which there is no corresponding naming on the R6E.

Is there a specific methodology that you follow to find the right replacements? Or is it found by digging through other topics/forums where people post their successful replacements?

I'm mostly worried about the other replacements that you suggest, which are not found for the R6E. For instance, "IDER" is not found on ioreg dump of R6E motherboard, and from what you state it is required... so I'm thinking that the naming might be different on this board. There are other replacement examples I have identified as well that you state are important, for example the USB-related ones... for which there is no corresponding naming on the R6E.

Is there a specific methodology that you follow to find the right replacements? Or is it found by digging through other topics/forums where people post their successful replacements?

The renaming of board-specific variables certainly might be different on your board. That's why you need IOREGExplorer to verify whether or not the board-specific ACPI patches are valid for your board. If the latter is not the case, you have to modify them.

You can calculate the corresponding hex values for the new replacements easily. There is a buil-in tool in Clover Configurator called "HEX converter", second entry from bottom to top at the left hand-side of the Clover Configurator main window.

If you start Hex converter, you see a Text Converter, where you input your board-specific variable name. You then press convert and you will obtain the HEX value for the "Find" entry of the respective ACPI Patch.

I hope that helps...

The renaming of board-specific variables certainly might be different on your board. That's why you need IOREGExplorer to verify whether or not the board-specific ACPI patches are valid for your board. If the latter is not the case, you have to modify them.

You can calculate the corresponding hex values for the new replacements easily. There is a buil-in tool in Clover Configurator called "HEX converter", second entry from bottom to top at the left hand-side of the Clover Configurator main window.

If you start Hex converter, you see a Text Converter, where you input your board-specific variable name. You then press convert and you will obtain the HEX value for the "Find" entry of the respective ACPI Patch.

I hope that helps...

I know all this kgp, this is basic. My question is how do you know which name needs to be replaced in the first place?

For example, "IDER -> MEID", how did you find out that "IDER" was the correct name that needs to be replaced to "MEID"? Why not something else like "POCI" (or anything else) instead of "IDER"? What's the methodology to find the corresponding naming?

Like I said in the first post, some replacements are obvious because of the naming. Such as "PMC1 -> PMCR", that's kinda obvious if in the iMacPro1,1 ioreg dump there is "PMCR" and in the hackintosh ioreg dump there is no "PMCR" but "PMC1" is found... then we can make the assumption that this is indeed the correct change needed... but that's a stupid methodology based on the name and guessing. What I'm looking for is to know the proper methodology that you follow to understand what needs to be changed aside from pure guessing...

I know all this kgp, this is basic. My question is how do you know which name needs to be replaced in the first place?

For example, "IDER -> MEID", how did you find out that "IDER" was the correct name that needs to be replaced to "MEID"? Why not something else like "POCI" (or anything else) instead of "IDER"? What's the methodology to find the corresponding naming?

Like I said in the first post, some replacements are obvious because of the naming. Such as "PMC1 -> PMCR", that's kinda obvious if in the iMacPro1,1 ioreg dump there is "PMCR" and in the hackintosh ioreg dump there is no "PMCR" but "PMC1" is found... then we can make the assumption that this is indeed the correct change needed... but that's a stupid methodology based on the name and guessing. What I'm looking for is to know the proper methodology that you follow to understand what needs to be changed aside from pure guessing...

I fully understand, but how should I know how IDER is called on your board. It does not help if you search for MEI or IMEI or something like this in IOREG?

If IDER is the only problem, leave the respective ACPI Patch like it is.

New EFI-Folder implemented in and attached at the bottom of the originating post of this thread

EFI-Folder related modifications:
  • Implementation of patched apsf.efi from macOS High Sierra 10.13.3
  • Implementation of Clover Boot Loader Distribution Clover_v2.4k_r4392
  • AptioMemoryFix.efi now replaces OsxAptioFix3Drv-64.efi
The modified EFI.Folder distribution is once more attached here blow.

Enjoy and have fun :thumbup:

kgp.png

Attachments

• EFI-X299-10.13.3-Release-iMacPro1,1-270118.zip
    19.2 MB · Views: 102
I fully understand, but how should I know how IDER is called on your board. It does not help if you search for MEI or IMEI or something like this in IOREG?

If IDER is the only problem, leave the respective ACPI Patch like it is.

This is exactly why I'm asking for your methodology, so I can find how your "IDER" is called on my board.

So, how did you know for your board about IDER?

Last edited:
How did you know for your board about IDER?

Because guess I found IDER in IOREG and IDER was also already implemented in the originating SSDT-X299.aml of @apfelnico. If you want, ask him how to proceed in your case.

But once more, if IDER is the only problem you face, leave the patch as it is and move on!

I cannot further repeat myself permanemtly, sorry.

Have a sound sleep and good night,

KGP

Because guess I found IDER in IOREG and IDER was also already implemented in the originating SSDT-X299.aml of @apfelnico. If you want, ask him how to proceed in your case.

But once more, if IDER is the only problem you face, leave the patch as it is and move on!

I cannot further repeat myself permanemtly, sorry.

Have a sound sleep and good night,

KGP

IDER is not the only issue, from your DSDT renaming list there are many other variables that are not found in my unpatched ioreg for the R6E. I am the one repeating myself, because I keep asking you what is the methodology you've used to find that these were the correct naming matches and replacements needed for your board... and you're unable to answer this simple question (or are you just avoiding it?).

Nevertheless, I believe I understand now which methodology you've used to come up with this list of replacements.

Have a good night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back