Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I have been very hesitant switching to the new APFS filesystem due to the lack of support in Windows 10 and the relatively new nature of the filesystem. Recently Paragon released a APFS driver which means the first concern is partly resolved... However there is no write support just yet.

Do you believe the filesystem is matured enough to warrant switching to the APFS filesystem or should I remain on HFS?
I'm tempted to stay with HFS until proper AFPS write support is available on Windows 10.

I am on APFS since the very beginning... But don't blame on me if your don't like it ;)

Motherboard
ASUS PRIME X299-Deluxe
CPU
i9-7980XE
Graphics
Vega Frontier
I have been very hesitant switching to the new APFS filesystem due to the lack of support in Windows 10 and the relatively new nature of the filesystem. Recently Paragon released a APFS driver which means the first concern is partly resolved... However there is no write support just yet.

Do you believe the filesystem is matured enough to warrant switching to the APFS filesystem or should I remain on HFS?
I'm tempted to stay with HFS until proper AFPS write support is available on Windows 10.

ive been on apfs with previous builds since it was implemented and on this build since the beginning. again its personal preference.

the reason i chose this route is because of the file structure advantages it has as well as the ssd advantages when combined with trim. plus the bonus is that you are one step closer to being a real mac.

Motherboard
Asus X299 Prime Deluxe - Clover
CPU
i9-7900X
Graphics
GTX 1080 TI + Vega 56
I have tried patching the 1004 bios using two different 'patches.txt' files. I have attached both files below.

After flashing both patched bioses they both allow me to boot without using the MSR clover patch.
However the computer will restart when I try to wakeup from sleep..

All bios settings were kept constant.

The only way for me to get reliable sleep is to keep the original 1004 bios and use the clover MSR patch
Sorry if I missed the answer for this. Did you find the fix for wake ?

I have the same problem, once I flash the patched BIOS I can boot with MSR clover patch disabled, but computer restarts if wake from sleep. If I then enable the MSR patch, sleep & wake works fine.

bdmesg | grep MSR
0:101 0:000 MSR 0x35 A0014
0:101 0:000 MSR 0xE2 before patch 00000402
0:101 0:000 MSR 0xCE 00070C2C_F3012100
0:101 0:000 MSR 0x1B0 00000000

Motherboard
ASUS PRIME X299-Deluxe
CPU
i9-7980XE
Graphics
Vega Frontier

I have the same problem, once I flash the patched BIOS I can boot with MSR clover patch disabled, but computer restarts if wake from sleep. If I then enable the MSR patch, sleep & wake works fine.

bdmesg | grep MSR

According to @kgp there is no issue here.... however no one else can replicate his results.

Motherboard
Asus Z370 Strix E
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS

bdmesg | grep MSR
That’s exactly what I find when using the patched bios. For now it seems for anyone having issues like we are to stay on the original non pathed bios and use the MSR patch as it doesn’t break sleep.
I have no idea why the patch breaks sleep but it is extremely weird. Glad I’m not the only one experiencing this issue

JimmyS

Retired
Motherboard
ASUS Prime X299-Deluxe
CPU
i7-7820X
Graphics
Vega 56
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
According to @kgp there is no issue here.... however no one else can replicate his results.
That’s exactly what I find when using the patched bios. For now it seems for anyone having issues like we are to stay on the original non pathed bios and use the MSR patch as it doesn’t break sleep.
I have no idea why the patch breaks sleep but it is extremely weird. Glad I’m not the only one experiencing this issue

Hmmm... maybe I should try that approach because on my machine sleep is broken too. It will only wake up by power button or by plugging in a USB flash drive. Also, screen remains in standby.

Panic report here if you would like to take a look.

Motherboard
ASUS Sage WS II x299
CPU
i9-7980XE
Graphics
AMD Radeon 6900XT
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Air
  3. MacBook Pro
  4. Mac mini
  5. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hmmm... maybe I should try that approach because on my machine sleep is broken too. It will only wake up by power button or by plugging in a USB flash drive. Also, screen remains in standby.

Panic report here if you would like to take a look.

Isn’t the patched bios > clover patch? Seems like you guys might be throwing the baby out with the bath water... sleep is a extra feature, personally I always disable it and set my screens to power off after 10min. Idle power usage is not that bad and instant on when I click a key is much preferred to sleep which has always been clunky on some builds. Just my two cents. Better pursuits to be had.

JimmyS

Retired
Motherboard
ASUS Prime X299-Deluxe
CPU
i7-7820X
Graphics
Vega 56
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Isn’t the patched bios > clover patch? Seems like you guys might be throwing the baby out with the bath water... sleep is a extra feature, personally I always disable it and set my screens to power off after 10min. Idle power usage is not that bad and instant on when I click a key is much preferred to sleep which has always been clunky on some builds. Just my two cents. Better pursuits to be had.
I understand. However I think you can agree that whether something is an extra or an essential feature is a matter of opinion. I mean, aren't we here to perfect the setup to suit each one's needs and wants?

Motherboard
ASUS Prime X299 Deluxe
CPU
Intel Core i9 7960X
Graphics
AMD Vega Frontier Edition LCS
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
@kgp
Thank you (and others) very much for your awesome work. We are on the way to get the best Hackintosh ever!

Now I need just a fix for the FAN Bug on Vega in OS X. ^^

Last edited:
Motherboard
ASUS X299 Prime Deluxe
CPU
Intel I7-7920X Delidded
Graphics
AMD Radeon Vega Frontier Edition 16 GB
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS

I patched my BIOS and sleep works fine for me without the MSR patch. I have not yet adopted the iMacPro system id yet, and am still declaring a FakeCPUID of 0x050654. Still using Clover 4318, as well. So all of these may impact sleep. I'm going to let a few others live on the bleeding edge for the next couple of weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.