Contribute
Register

How to build your own iMac Pro [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
cant sleep! LOL and the sad face was because i mentioned the performance gain a few pages back.

Show your benchmarks and do not just mention.. :lol: Come on.. :thumbup: Go ahead! :wave:

@kgp
You should delid the CPU and replace the Intel TIM with a good one , this will bring a temp drop 10°C and more. I am think about this, but I am not sure, because I will loose warranty...

By the way, check the temps from the mainboard VRM. I guess your cpu is even throttled. In Geekbench MultiCPU I get 61000 Points, but I "only" have the 7960X clocked to 3.9 GHz. So you should have more than your 63000. ^^

On my TODO list..

How can I check the temps on the Mosfets, when I use the EK ASUS mono block?

This method doesn't work for my board. I've tried the two of them (see below), numerous times.

Full guide is there: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/applehda-realtek-audio-guide.234732/
Supported codecs: https://github.com/vit9696/AppleALC/wiki/Supported-codecs

Rog Rampage VI Extreme is ALC1220

[NONE OF THE METHODS WORK] There are two methods:

# NOT WORKING: EITHER NO AUDIO or DEVICES DONT APPEAR IN SETTINGS

[Doesn't work] -- 1. Patch Apple HDA
# DOESNT WORK, DEVICES ARE IN SETTINGS BUT NO AUDIO

But basically it's only these steps:
- Set in clover Audio ID to 1 in the injection field (if you don't know it's ok, the audio_cloverALC-130.sh will do it)
- execute audio_cloverALC-130.sh
- Answer yes to all questions but make sure the choosen audio ID is 1

The script will place the kext patches automatically in your Clover configuration.
WARNING: THE SCRIPT WILL ALSO PLACE A realtekALC.kext IN YOUR 10.13 FOLDER OF CLOVER KEXTS!!!!!! MAKE SURE TO REMOVE IT IF YOU UNINSTALL THIS METHOD

[Doesn't work] -- 2. Don't patch Apple (make sure it's not patched) and use AppleALC.kext
# NO AUDIO DEVICES APPEAR IN SETTINGS

No matter what, no devices appear in the OSX settings panel

Regarding VoodooHDA

VoodooHDA works but crashes. Probably because of HDMI. Try to run Valley.app with sound, it should crash after a few seconds. Now run it without sound, it should work just fine.

Wait!

Which audio chipset is on the ASUS ROG RAMPAGE VI EXTREME? Realtek ALC ALC1220? If it is not the Realtek ALC S1220A, none of the methods described in my guide will work ;)

You are right, this is bad to realize. Tester said the VRM Cooling Sektion of the ASUS Prime X299 Deluxe is good. But they tested with 7900X @4.6 Ghz. I think 16 or 18 Core Cpus are stressing the arm, much more. Just try to place a high performance fan direct to the VRMs, and repeat the Geekbench. You should reach at least 6000 points more than i.

Last edited:
You are right, this is bad to realize. Tester said the VRM Cooling Sektion of the ASUS Prime X299 Deluxe is good. But they tested with 7900X @4.6 Ghz. I think 16 or 18 Core Cpus are stressing the arm, much more. Just try to place a high performance fan direct to the VRMs, and repeat the Geekbench. You should reach at least 6000 points more than i.

As I said, I don't know how to realise what you propose. The Mosfets are cooled by the EK ASUS mono block. This solution should be by far more sufficient than any comparable air cooling..

Wait!

Which audio chipset is on the ASUS ROG RAMPAGE VI EXTREME? Realtek ALC ALC1220? If it is not the Realtek ALC S1220A, none of the methods described in my guide will work ;)

It uses the same codec but a different dac chip I think. Anyway audio worked for me with the cavs rename patch and lilu plugin. That was 10.13.1 though. I have a different board now and use a USB external dac so no audio patches for me.

Reactions: kgp
@kgp
You should delid the CPU and replace the Intel TIM with a good one , this will bring a temp drop 10°C and more. I am think about this, but I am not sure, because I will loose warranty...

By the way, check the temps from the mainboard VRM. I guess your cpu is even throttled. In Geekbench MultiCPU I get 61000 Points, but I "only" have the 7960X clocked to 3.9 GHz. So you should have more than your 63000. ^^

stock clock undervolted 7980xe delidded with thermal grizly as well as between the ran 5 benchmarks in a row. never peaked over 62* with an h115i closed loop. pretty happy with the results

If it is exactly the same Audio Chipset as on the ASUS Prime X299 Deluxe, all 3 solutions MUST work...

The install method by @toleda is the same. There is just static noise coming out of the audio jack. Only the method that patches Apple HDA kext brings devices in the System settings. When I plug my headphones it also detect that headphones are plugged. But no audio coming out, just static noise...

It uses the same codec but a different dac chip I think. Anyway audio worked for me with the cavs rename patch and lilu plugin. That was 10.13.1 though. I have a different board now and use a USB external dac so no audio patches for me.

Possibly. I'll get in touch with @toleda, he will probably find what's wrong. VoodooHDA works (with bugs and crashes) so there is no reason his solution shouldn't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back