Contribute
Register

How to build your own iMac Pro [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
just because its hard with the translation, this is issue is present on a non overclocked cpu? and is present with the 7980xe @kgp ? also do you just need to configure the stock clock speeds manually to fix the issue or is it just the vcore that needs to be adjusted manually? (just looking for clarification)

just because its hard with the translation, this is issue is present on a non overclocked cpu? and is present with the 7980xe @kgp ? also do you just need to configure the stock clock speeds manually to fix the issue or is it just the vcore that needs to be adjusted manually? (just looking for clarification)

1.) I don't face the issue nor the problem... I am simply not interested in LOGIC ;):lol:

2.) I indeed witnessed long time ago that my i9-7980XE shows better performance with lower CPU core voltage and that my CPU
apparently and definitely does not require a voltage of 1.2V under CPU max. load conditions as implemented automatically by the ASUS Prime X299 Deluxe BIOS , but also works fine or even better with an CPU Core Voltage Override of 1.12V, which also reduces significantly all CPU core temperatures by almost 15 deg C under CPU max. load with "CPU Core Ratio" set to "Sync All Cores"! I also wrote to ASUS that there are yet some bugs in their Skylake-X microcodes, that the C3/C7 states are not available, that the MSR Register is locked and that the CPU power consumption is displayed totally of the charts (as already for all X99 boards).... they promised to investigate all issues.. no further reply or improvement until today...
3.) I did not configure the stock clock speeds at all... Everything set to "Auto". .. Works just flawless and totally as expected.... all
cores with 1.2 GHz in Idle and 4.4 GHz during max. load... I also do not perform any OC, despite "CPU Core Ratio" set to "Sync All Cores"...​

That's all I can answer from my side...

Good night,

KGP :thumbup:

Last edited:
I can confirm that lag interface has totally gone after set my i9 7900X CPU as 0x050654 on FakeCPUID. With 0x0506E4 lag returns back. Also, flag npci=0x2000 is not necessary.

Sorry , absolutely no difference in performance either way (in other words, no lag in my interface, and all metrics from Intel Power Gadget and Intellinfo.kext are the same) with 7920x CPU using either 0x050654 vs 0x0506e4 and @kgp BIOS settings. Suggest you keep looking for the real solution. Are you using "sync all cores" in BIOS? Overclocking any?

What is different is that with my current software (Clover v.4318 and OS X 10.13.2), is that previously 0x050654 as CPUID (Skylake X, as opposed to the less specific 0x0506e4) would not allow me to boot (earlier versions of Clover and 10.13/10.13.1). Suspect that's a clover improvement (version 4307 and forward), but it could be 10.13.2 OS X as well (don't know, don't care). Now maybe this is just a 7900x specific thing, some bios setting, but I have never had this lag problem folks are talking about with a 7820x either.

Sorry , absolutely no difference in performance either way (in other words, no lag in my interface, and all metrics from Intel Power Gadget and Intellinfo.kext are the same) with 7920x CPU using either 0x050654 vs 0x0506e4 and @kgp BIOS settings. Suggest you keep looking for the real solution. Are you using "sync all cores" in BIOS? Overclocking any?

What is different is that with my current software (Clover v.4318 and OS X 10.13.2), is that previously 0x050654 as CPUID (Skylake X, as opposed to the less specific 0x0506e4) would not allow me to boot (earlier versions of Clover and 10.13/10.13.1). Suspect that's a clover improvement (version 4307 and forward), but it could be 10.13.2 OS X as well (don't know, don't care). Now maybe this is just a 7900x specific thing, some bios setting, but I have never had this lag problem folks are talking about with a 7820x either.

Gorgeous, man! Thanks for your confirmation! :thumbup:

I have absolutely no objections if somebody asks for help in case of personal technical issues, even if his/her questions appear stupid or not interesting to others... but I am really tired off destructive people with repetitive claims and conclusions, which are simply wrong, contra-productive, or lack any base or knowledge. Such people do not contribute, create or help but just destruct, destroy and confuse other readers, even though one intents to solve their issues and problems, which are definitely not his/her own problems.

Therefore it is that important to sometimes receive some positive feedback, confirmation and support like yours above..

And I am more than grateful to the support and help I repeatedly received by people like e.g. @apfelnico, @interferenc, @flymovies, @mgregrs, etc.

Appreciated, @braindeadmac ! :thumbup:

Last edited:
Hello my friends. I've been following your conversation closely. First of all, once again thanks for the hard work @kgp as well the other passionate users put into getting this far on the X299. I love seeing the eagerness to help other people and share knowledge. Way to go!<3

I want to share the following and I have 2 questions.

I followed your Manual Voltage instructions, and indeed I was able to find a spot on my system that works well on heat : performance. I achieve the same scores in Cinebench without thermal throttling. I still need to tweak it a bit. Anyway, regardless of how closely I follow the instructions I still experience terrible performance in Logic. I took screenshots of 2 situations in a pretty heavy Logic session.

a) Running the Logic session
Screen Shot 2017-12-20 at 22.16.53.png

b) Running the same Logic session while ALSO running a CPU Cinebench simultaneously. While Cinebench runs the CPU frequency is ramped all way up and Logic cuts through the project like butter! Runs well. So, despite Cinebench being heavy on the system, Logic still runs much better while Cine's benchmarking
Screen Shot 2017-12-20 at 23.28.14.png

Question 1:
Now, does there exist a tool that allows one control the frequency of a 79**X CPU in OSX? Maybe an app, Clover or BIOS?
I'm just thinking creative. I know speedsteps are meant to adjust CPU frequency based on the system need, but it won't work related to Logic in my case. Apparently the CPU works fine with Logic, it just needs to ramp up the frequency. I need a physical knob to control that frequency, like a speeder haha

Question 2:
If I'm to experiment/research this myself, what part of Clover or Kext should I look at to tackle the question of CPU frequency? Any specific? Eg. I learned ADST was responsible for controlling something regarding speedsteps?

Thanks for getting us this far:)

Hello my friends. I've been following your conversation closely. First of all, once again thanks for the hard work @kgp as well the other passionate users put into getting this far on the X299. I love seeing the eagerness to help other people and share knowledge. Way to go!<3

I want to share the following and I have 2 questions.

I followed your Manual Voltage instructions, and indeed I was able to find a spot on my system that works well on heat : performance. I achieve the same scores in Cinebench without thermal throttling. I still need to tweak it a bit. Anyway, regardless of how closely I follow the instructions I still experience terrible performance in Logic. I took screenshots of 2 situations in a pretty heavy Logic session.

a) Running the Logic session
View attachment 300953

b) Running the same Logic session while ALSO running a CPU Cinebench simultaneously. While Cinebench runs the CPU frequency is ramped all way up and Logic cuts through the project like butter! Runs well. So, despite Cinebench being heavy on the system, Logic still runs much better while Cine's benchmarking
View attachment 300954

Question 1:
Now, does there exist a tool that allows one control the frequency of a 79**X CPU in OSX? Maybe an app, Clover or BIOS?
I'm just thinking creative. I know speedsteps are meant to adjust CPU frequency based on the system need, but it won't work. Apparently the CPU works fine with Logic, it just needs to ramp up the frequency. I need a physical knob to control that frequency, like a speeder haha

Question 2:
If I'm to experiment/research this myself, what part of Clover or Kext should I look at? Any specific? Eg. I learned ADST was responsible for controlling something regarding speedsteps?

Thanks for getting us this far:)

Can you explain me why Cinebench is able to properly ramp up and down all CPU frequencies as expected but LOGIC doesn't? How ridiculous it seems to call such program LOGIC, or to assume that a user, who does not even know how to properly run such program or his respective system, behaves LOGIC.. ;):lol:.... I can just repeat that not only once demonstrated the perfect performance of LOGIC.

Try to set your things properly... I don't like to read further conspiracies...

I don't see any eagerness or knowledge of other not further specified people you refer too... some people with indeed constructive contributions, background and knowledge have been mentioned already in post #2630 ;) ... I still might have forgotten to mention a few others.... The majority of comments however lacks any base and is just destructive, contra-productive and largely misleading ...

I am not able to follow your reasoning...

Last edited:
From intel power and thermal management document:
When HWP is enabled, the processor autonomously selects performance states as deemed appropriate for the applied workload and with consideration of constraining hints that are programmed by the OS. These OS-provided hints include minimum and maximum performance limits, preference towards energy efficiency or performance, and the specification of a relevant workload history observation time window.

There are two registers for this: 0x772 (hwp request package) and 0x774 (hwp request)

Those who want to try can do the following:

- first load voltageshift.kext, sudo ./load.sh
- it prints a hex value, for my system it is 0x70c212f, 7 means lowest performance (700mhz), 0c means most efficient performance (1200mhz), 21 means guarenteed performace (3300Mhz) and 2f means highest performance (4700Mhz).
- please change the value 2f in max_performance.sh with your highest performance value. For example, if your 0x771 register value is 0x70c212d, please replace 0x00002f07 with 0x00002d07
- run max_performance.sh
- and try logic pro or whatever you want...

Required files attached...

Attachments

• cpu2.zip
    39 KB · Views: 105
  • voltageshift.png
    voltageshift.png
    95.4 KB · Views: 133
Last edited:
@kgp I completely understand your reasoning for responding this way. I can't explain what you request. If I could we would probably solve this quickly hehe. I am curious about the settings and what specifically is the key to solving this.
Most people will find this NOT Logic. My next logic step was to test in a different DAW.
So, I tested a heavy Ableton Live session and it gives the same result as Logic, no need to share the screenshots it's more of the same. I'll experiment + do more research and try to figure out a solution. When I do I'll come back here and share it :) I'll also check back here regularly for updates. Good night!:beachball:

From intel power and thermal managment document:

There are two registers for this: 0x772 (hwp request package) and 0x774 (hwp request)

Those who want to try can do the following:

- first load voltageshift.kext, sudo ./load.sh
- it prints a hex value, for my system it is 0x70c212f, 7 means lowest performance (700mhz), 0c means most efficient performance (1200mhz), 21 means guarenteed performace (3300Mhz) and 2f means highest performance (4700Mhz).
- please change the value 2f in max_performance.sh with your highest performance value. For example, if your 0x771 register value is 0x70c212d, please replace 0x00002f07 with 0x00002d07
- run max_performance.sh
- and try logic pro or whatever you want...

Required files attached...

This sounds promising... Can anyone test this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back