Contribute
Register

How to build your own iMac Pro [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
@kgp, so is the MSR 0xE2 locked with recent bioses on the x299 Prime?

I know it is on the x299 Strix, so I am investigating a fix for it here:
https://github.com/danielstuart14/ASUS_BIOS_REPO/issues/12

I will let you guys know if it works out.

Yup, BIOS is locked for now also on the ASUS Prime X299 Deluxe..

I am actually in contact with ASUS for weeks...

I asked them to change/improve/implement the following things:

1.) Microcodes for CPU Core Ratio set to Sync All Cores..

2.) CPU power consumption sensor values simply wrong for all Asus Boards not only X299, see e.g. IPG

3.) Implementation of a BIOS functionality to manually Lock/Unlock MSR 0xE2. Apparently MSR 0xE2 is locked (AppleIntelInfo dump), in contradiction to the BIOS settings txt dump, which reveals MSR 0xE2 to be unlocked.

4.) Solve discrepancies regarding C3/C6/C7 support... So far /Advanced/CPU Configuration/ just reveals C6 state supported (C3 and C7 apparently are "not supported"). This again is in contradiction to the BIOS settings txt dump, where C3 and C7 support seems enabled.

No idea what is the actual status of their investigations.. Did not receive any further feedback for weeks..

Thus, if you find a way to unlock the MSR 0xE2 register, please let us know! :thumbup:

Cheers,

KGP

Last edited:
I think if you disable XMP you get the correct cpu power consumption values in IPG, but of course this is not a solution.

Disabling XMP does not change anything in my case. And as you say, in any case that would not be an acceptable or satisfactory solution we are seeking for ..

It is an ancient ASUS problem already persistent on e.g. all X99 boards..

It definitely requires a solution by ASUS once and forever.. The current implementation is a no go..

Last edited:
@kgp :
If BIOS settings txt dump, reveals MSR 0xE2 is unlocked I trust more Asus then AppleIntelInfo, since AppleIntelInfo also could just have an error in the code by itself and thats why it says locked.
Of course it could also be the other way around but I trust in this point more Asus.

I don't! The BIOS settings txt dump of ASUS also reveals C3 and C7 states to be enabled! If you however watch the proper ASUS Info in /Advanced/CPU Configuration/ you will find both C3 and C7 "not supported" !

They are not even able to explain this discrepancy themselves. I guess the same states for the MSR 0xE2 register lock.

By the way, I don't believe in your conspiracy about AppleIntelInfo.kext. The latter dump clearly reveals for e.g. the Gigabyte X299 AORUS Gaming 9, MSR 0xE2 unlocked!

The same result has been obtained for years also in case of X99 boards. Asus boards with MSR 0xE2 locked, all other boards with MSR 0xE2 register unlocked.

That's why we patched the ASUS X99 BIOS, right?

Maybe @dwhitla can provide further helpful information?

Cheers,

KGP

Last edited:
Dear @ALL,

I just finished adding a new section to the originating post/guide:

E.9) ASUS Prime X299 PCI Device Implementation - Sleep/Wake functionality

@TheOfficialGypsy, please carefully revise and comment if necessary. Many thanks in advance!

KGP

@kgp I have 2 important propositions... :D

* A) : 2 versions of your (shared on 1st page) EFI folder

-> 1st one - Only for ASUS Prime Deluxe users, witch is very important here
Belive me! Impementation of all patches etc is still very difficult for 70-80% of users here
so it could be cool if we have one EFI with all ACPI patches, 2xLAN kext, sesnsors.kexts, lilu and audio (configured)
--- I'm 1000% sure - people will love that version, prepared in 80-85% EFI folder for their Asus Deluxe motherboards,
(without GPU and SMBIOS configuration of course) :)
especially, because we recommend that mb every time, we use it and we can make life easier for hundreds of people :):thumbup:

-> 2nd - Clean version for All X299 users - exactly the same like actual

* B) Speed Shift: Enabled

I think, it will be better to mention: SpeedShift option in our BIOS should be (imo) Enabled, or just mention "it will be better to leave it enabled".
A lot of people said/confirm: SpeedShift: Auto or Disabled... = I/someone have a half o fGeekbench multi-core ..performance, and that was true, when I tried a lot of OC options I had the same thing/problem.
I think for better stability today and future, easier OC etc.. for people - it will be better to mention about that in BIOS cfg on first page :)

What. do you think about that and can we add this (if it's ok for you of course)? :D

Cheers :D

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------edit///

Yup, BIOS is locked for now also on the ASUS Prime X299 Deluxe..

I am actually in contact with ASUS for weeks...

I asked them to change/improve/implement the following things:

1.) Microcodes for CPU Core Ratio set to Sync All Cores..

2.) CPU power consumption sensor values simply wrong for all Asus Boards not only X299, see e.g. IPG

3.) Implementation of a BIOS functionality to manually Lock/Unlock MSR 0xE2. Apparently MSR 0xE2 is locked (AppleIntelInfo dump), in contradiction to the BIOS settings txt dump, which reveals MSR 0xE2 to be unlocked.

4.) Solve discrepancies regarding C3/C6/C7 support... So far /Advanced/CPU Configuration/ just reveals C6 state supported (C3 and C7 apparently are "not supported"). This again is in contradiction to the BIOS settings txt dump, where C3 and C7 support seems enabled.

....KGP

Is it ASUS de, es, EU, or US?
Maybe we should join and send the same propositions, questions, demands.. - more people faster answer (maybe) :p

Last edited:
It works perfect with the last kexts regardless of the number of cores shown.

Captura de pantalla 2017-11-29 a las 22.05.14.png

@kgp I have 2 important propositions... :D

* A) : 2 versions of your (shared on 1st page) EFI folder

-> 1st one - Only for ASUS Prime Deluxe users, witch is very important here
Belive me! Impementation of all patches etc is still very difficult for 70-80% of users here
so it could be cool if we have one EFI with all ACPI patches, 2xLAN kext, sesnsors.kexts, lilu and audio (configured)
--- I'm 1000% sure - people will love that version, prepared in 80-85% EFI folder for their Asus Deluxe motherboards,
(without GPU and SMBIOS configuration of course) :)
especially, because we recommend that mb every time, we use it and we can make life easier for hundreds of people :):thumbup:

-> 2nd - Clean version for All X299 users - exactly the same like actual

* B) Speed Shift: Enabled

I think, it will be better to mention: SpeedShift option in our BIOS should be (imo) Enabled, or just mention "it will be better to leave it enabled".
A lot of people said/confirm: SpeedShift: Auto or Disabled... = I/someone have a half o fGeekbench multi-core ..performance, and that was true, when I tried a lot of OC options I had the same thing/problem.
I think for better stability today and future, easier OC etc.. for people - it will be better to mention about that in BIOS cfg on first page :)

What. do you think about that and can we add this (if it's ok for you of course)? :D

Cheers :D

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------edit///

Is it ASUS de, es, EU, or US?
Maybe we should join and send the same propositions, questions, demands.. - more people faster answer (maybe) :p

@mgregrs ,

ASUS US..

I am not a fan of proposition A.)

However, I agree with your proposition B.)

It is clear now that SpeedShift has to be set to "Auto" or "Enabled".

If someone should get credits for the ssdt then its @apfelnico and his hard work & knowledge which he puts in there.
Not mine at all!

I guess I clearly emphasised that we have the DSDT Replacement patches and the SSDT-X299.aml thanks to the brilliant and extensive work and efforts of @apfelnico, but also of @TheOfficialGypsy. Who of these two guys contributed more I don't know. If you prefer, I can simply skip your name, although I indeed extracted the VEGA implementation from your SSDT-X299.aml.

I did not not know that @apfelnico has also an account on tonymacx86. I therefore referred so far to his account in the hackintosh-forum.de. I will update all references and credits in consequence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back