Contribute
Register

How to build your own iMac Pro [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Change asap your CPU cooling! :lol: My i7-6950X running at 4.4 Ghz does not exceed 80 deg even with "Sync All Cores" enabled.. And I just use the Corsair H115i... With my i9-7980XE, I am also in the range of 80-90 deg with "Sync All Cores" enabled", although the EK cooling is of course much more sophisticated! You would also need a more sophisticated CPU waterblock even when overclocking ;)

Yes of course I would need to change CPU cooling in my actual system if I were to keep it enabled!
As for OC in the X299 system we will see... I'm seeking stability first. Corsair H110i (which is similar to H115i) should be enough for stock speed on the i7-7820X...
Thank you anyway!

OZ

So my system is almost perfect but I still have one serious USB issue with my gigabyte aorus gaming 3 board. The USB ports works oob with USB drives but when I connect my external sound card the system crashes immediately when I for example try to play a youtube video or play sound files. The sound card is class compliant and works without drivers. I've tried with my MacBook Pro with High Sierra and on that machine it works fine. Any tips on how to solve this?

kgp , Hep me , I purchase 7820x with asus mark 1 x299 , I can not work the sound and some usbs.
What I can be doing wrong ?

I used SMBIOS 19,1. But the BO ROM version is IM131.010F.B00. PRIME X299-DELUXE
I use Gigabyte motherboards. SMBIOS19.1 BOOT ROM is a IM191.
consult?

I used SMBIOS 19,1. But the BO ROM version is IM131.010F.B00. PRIME X299-DELUXE
I use Gigabyte motherboards. SMBIOS19.1 BOOT ROM is a IM191.
consult?

Use SMBIOS iMac17,1..

Still can not full power out from the CPU. There is no sync all cores feature in Gigabyte X299 UD4 Bios and Enhanced multicore performance causes random reboots. I did all levels of point 5 in the guide with the result "I am fine". Without ssdt I got aroun 1000pts in Cinebench. With ssdt I got around 1350pts. However even with enhanced multicore performance OFF I got 1740pts in Windows10. So it looks like my CPU goes stock 3.6GHz all the time with no turbo (regarding Cinebench results). I tried to install Intel Gadged but it does not work even with Pacifist. So I tried HWmonitor but after installation I did not boot. Is there any way to replicate Sync all cores features in Gigabyte? Thank you for patience

Still can not full power out from the CPU. There is no sync all cores feature in Gigabyte X299 UD4 Bios and Enhanced multicore performance causes random reboots. I did all levels of point 5 in the guide with the result "I am fine". Without ssdt I got aroun 1000pts in Cinebench. With ssdt I got around 1350pts. However even with enhanced multicore performance OFF I got 1740pts in Windows10. So it looks like my CPU goes stock 3.6GHz all the time with no turbo (regarding Cinebench results). I tried to install Intel Gadged but it does not work even with Pacifist. So I tried HWmonitor but after installation I did not boot. Is there any way to replicate Sync all cores features in Gigabyte? Thank you for patience

No, no way to replicate ASUS only “Sync All Cores” Bios implementation on Gigabyte...

HWmonitor does not work with Skylake-X/X299!

Did you use ssdtPRGen.sh with flag „-turbo xxxx“ ?

I did the ssdt with turbo. however I am facing another issue. After install my fw soundcard and reboot I can not boot. here the place where booting process stops

Attachments

• IMG_20171105_165225.jpg
    IMG_20171105_165225.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 71
Hi @justdatruth

just one more thing... for your ALC Audio configuration did you read/try this post?

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...ld-extended-guide.229353/page-73#post-1605971

it seems interesting, but of course I haven't tried it yet. Give it a try I you want, and see if it helps!

seeya

OZ

Hi again,

So..... I’ve spent pretty much the last 48hrs setting up and testing my DAW software on the box and I’ve noticed a few things.

Thunderbolt seems to be working well now, I even managed to get my LG monitor to connect via thunderbolt. The PCIe related settings seemed to have helped ensuring reliable detection of thunderbolt devices, but at the expense of sleep functionality. Now when waking from sleep I don’t resume connection to attached devices.

Audio over DP came back, then disappeared again, I think I have an idea what is going on with that but need to investigate further. I’ll try one of the other methods @kgp suggests in his guide. It’s really not a big issue for me.

Now for the biggest issue.

While I’m still getting great benchmarks 40k+ on geekbench and 2.4k+ on cine (at 4.5ghz), I noticed that performance in my audio applications was noticeably worse than on my 2011 iMac (i7 2600). This doesn’t appear to specific to OS X either, I get the same issue within my windows partition. As an example an audio project consuming 8% cpu power on my iMac requires closer to 20% on this build. Comparing this build to my iMac, 7900X spends far too long running at lower frequencies with normal applications, around 3ghz on the iMac vs 1.2-2ghz. If I run a cinebench test, it causes the cpu to run at max frequency and my DAW actually consumes LESS cpu power, far less!

This appears at least with my limited knowledge, to be a cpu power management issue.

If I disable speedshift in the bios, windows will run the cpu at whatever frequency I set but OS X seems to ignore the bios setting and attempts some sort of power management. A better approach I guess would be to be able to define cpu states, again there is software to this in windows, it seems like it could be achieved with a custom SSDT with this build, but again my knowledge is fairly limited so I could be way off base.

I hope that makes sense. I’ve done a few searches and power management/p-states appear to be a bit of problem with the Skylake-X platform. If anyone has any advice on how to disable power management in clover/osx or in relation to this, even if it’s to say I’ve misdiagnosed the issue, I’m happy to hear it!

I guess now I need some help!

My hackintosh is not booting anymore. Directly after choosing and starting High Sierra in Clover, the screen goes blank, you hear a "click" and the machine does a reboot.

Things I've tried so far without success:

- boot from backup, same result
- removed all grafic cards and just tried to boot with AMD RX560
- removed all ram and changed ram modules, so a ram error can be exluded

This happened from one day to another, no changes made in OSX or Bios. Windows runs still like a charm.

Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back