Contribute
Register

How to build your own iMac Pro [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
@jaminmc oh so you have it disconnected too? I don’t need the TB to work in windows, i rarely use windows at all.

But i just don’t want to destroy the card, since @kgp wrote: never boot windows without the header

@jaminmc oh so you have it disconnected too? I don’t need the TB to work in windows, i rarely use windows at all.

But i just don’t want to destroy the card, since @kgp wrote: never boot windows without the header

You won't destroy the card.. :lol: but you would mess up it's function, thus you might have to unplug/plug the card and reinitialise the card again under windows with TBH_C connected. Anyway, for @jaminmc the GC-Alpine Ridge seems to work also under windows with TBH_C disconnected.

You won't destroy the card.. :lol: but you would mess up it's function, thus you might have to unplug/plug the card and reinitialise the card again under windows with TBH_C connected. Anyway, for @jaminmc the GC-Alpine Ridge seems to work also under windows with TBH_C disconnected.

Oh alright! He has the Titan ridge, so it might differ.

Do you guys have hotplug working even with booting with no devices powered on? I need to have it plugged in on boot to be hotplugable.

Oh alright! He has the Titan ridge, so it might differ.

Do you guys have hotplug working even with booting with no devices powered on? I need to have it plugged in on boot to be hotplugable.

He told you that before he was using the Alpine Ridge, and if you want to have the THB_C connected, you should opt for the Titan Ridge.

If you use the Alpine Ridge with THB_C removed (like I did on my Prime X299 Deluxe), both TB and USB-C should not only HotSwap but also Hotplug (without any devices connected at boot), always provided that you use a properly adopted SSDT-X299-TB3HP.aml. For establishing SSDT-X299-TB3HP.aml, I also used the Alpine Ridge and even the TBEX 3 for testing. I am now running the Alpine Ridge with my X99-A II, and there HotSwap and Hotplug even work with THB_C connected.

In case of my GC-Titan Ridge, both HotSwap and HotPlug work with the THB_C connected to the Prime X299 Deluxe, again always provided that I use SSDT-X299-TB3HP.aml in addition.

@kgp do you have the alpine ridge rev2 or rev1?

Titan Ridge is not for sale in my country, that's a shame.

Interesting, well i used your provided tb3hp and according to my ioreg, it should work.

@kgp @jaminmc , back to zero. Once pluggin in the Broadcom card again, in the last PCIEX slot, hotplug is not working anymore... This is weird..

@kgp do you have the alpine ridge rev2 or rev1?

Titan Ridge is not for sale in my country, that's a shame.

Interesting, well i used your provided tb3hp and according to my ioreg, it should work.

Rev2.

I also ordered the titan ridge from US..

Rev2.

I also ordered the titan ridge from US..

Oh alright! I have rev1, maybe that could be a thing. Well, investigation continues.

Step 1, Sell it on eBay
Step 2, Get a Vega 56, or 64 from eBay.

step 3 Rejoice that you don't have to deal with Nvidia's BS anymore :)
Good one, I just switched DP ports (first to last) and now I have hotplug (2x DP Port Nr.: 1,4 and 1x HDMI Port Nr.: 3).

Last edited:
@kgp do you still have the LG 5K2K?

I bought one today. Works perfectly in Windows.
To be able to access the BIOS, it just be connected to DP2 (on DP1 I have an Apple TB display). With the LG 5K2K in DP1 everything stays black until windows has finished booting.

In macos it boots on a black screen if it's on however. Doesn't matter if it's set to DP version 1.2 or 1.4.
If I turn it on after macos has finished booting, set in DP1.2 the screen shows as 3840x2160 30Hz max.
If set on DP 1.4, can do 3840x2160@60Hz (bit it really looks awful then); it looks best un 2560x1080 mode which is what to be expected.

If I recall correctly, you used a tool to make it recognised at full resolution. Which one was it?

Edit: Okay, found that pressing the option key while looking at the resolution allows me to change res.
Now the issue is that this screen only looks good when using the 2560x1080 resolution. The 5120x2160 looks just too small.

If I connect the screen via TB and use two DP 1.2 (and the screen is set to DP 1.2) then macOS allows to run a native resolution with scaling. The screen when set to looks like 3360x1417 looks very nice and is very usable.

Anyone knows how you could patch so that when connected over DP 1.4 then macOS scaling is available?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back