Contribute
Register

How to build your own iMac Pro [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still plenty of headroom. Temps max out at 51c. My little 240mm Corsair AIO does a pretty good job of cooling the 7980xe. Ran the test 5 times in a row. CPU cools down very quickly. 36 threads of "yes >/dev/null" running continuously would likely do a better job of stressing the CPU.

View attachment 381238

No suprise.. apparently you seem to heavely underclock the i9-7980XE to 3.5 GHz. Running cinebench, your CPU should remain constantly at 4.4 GHz max. turbo stock unless you define 3.5 GHz as max. turbo frequency in your BIOS. It also seems that you do not use the sync all cores BIOS setting.

Demonstrate that your 240mm Corsair AIO suficies in running your i9-7980XE @ 4.4 GHz with sync all cores enabled, i.e. at stock speeds.. curious to see your IPG cinebench results under factory conditions ;)

Currently you are wasting nearly half of the i9-7980XE’s full stock potential due to insufficient cooling implementation.

Show cinebench and geekbench scores in addition and compare with those presented in my guide ;)..

Last edited:
@kgp Thanks a lot for taking the time to read through my post. I tried my best to put all the available information inside which was a bit too much. I tried reordering/rewriting #11,759 - is it now better understandable?

- IOREG.save was attached but under the default name Romano’s iMac Pro.zip. My bad - fixed in this post.
- Did not install SSDT-X299-HDEF.aml because the github table said "On-board Realtek ALC S1220 HD Audio controller HDEF PCI implementation" and I did not want to install Onboard sound - did not think of any relation to the graphics.

I installed all your suggested files (including the new TB) - and apart from the PCI definition - nothing changed.

Problems I still have
1. HotPlug for my Motu 8M (taking TB cable out and in again) does not work.
Have you checked?: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/in-progress-ssdt-for-thunderbolt-3-hotplug.248784/
Did not have the time to fully understand how the IOReg lookup and ssdt change work - still need to figure that out.
I guess the files suggested will not work for the Deluxe II out of the box.

2. Every other boot fails - shutdown and restart always helped (see attached screenshot boot.jpg)
3. HDMI port still the only one working - DP ports wont work (same behavior as described in #11,759)
4. The logic test file you provided will not play any audio but display an overload (see screenshot logic_hyper_test).
A friend of mine tested this in his studio (native mac pro - old but extremely configured), with the same result.

How to tackle the graphics
I agree NVIDIA is not the way. Was mentioned in the BuyersGuide - so i thought this is it.
The Vega seems to be far to expensive - i will only do audio work and just need something to run (up to 5) displays.
I read many good things about the Radeon RX 580 4 GB - for many users in this forum this worked natively - but you explicitly said: Don't, because of iGPU problems. What does that mean? This would be the best value option for me. Is it really a no go?
You know of an alternative with max 200€?
The "8GB Sapphire Nitro Radeon R9 390" - the M 2GB version of it is in my macbook. Maybe better?

I updated all files according to the current state. The EFI folder is exactly the one you posted.

Thanks a lot for the support!

Attachments

• IOREG.save.zip
    3.8 MB · Views: 61
  • pci screenshot.png
    pci screenshot.png
    155 KB · Views: 55
  • boot.JPG
    boot.JPG
    69.7 KB · Views: 64
  • UEFI screenshots.zip
    3.8 MB · Views: 69
  • logic_hyper_test.png
    logic_hyper_test.png
    522.1 KB · Views: 60
No suprise.. apparently you seem to heavely underclock the i9-7980XE to 3.5 GHz. Running cinebench, your CPU should remain constantly at 4.4 GHz max. turbo stock unless you define 3.5 GHz as max. turbo frequency in your BIOS. It also seems that you do not use the sync all cores BIOS setting.

Demonstrate that your 240mm Corsair AIO suficies in running your i9-7980XE @ 4.4 GHz with sync all cores enabled, i.e. at stock speeds.. curious to see your IPG cinebench results under factory conditions ;)

Currently you are wasting nearly half of the i9-7980XE’s full stock potential due to insufficient cooling implementation.

Show cinebench and geekbench scores in addition and compare with those presented in my guide ;)..

I didn't underclock the CPU at all. Totally stock. You can see the one peak jumping up to 4.2GHz I don't know how you can say I am wasting anything cooling wise if I can't get the heat above 52c. The H100v2 isn't quite stock. In place of the 2 corsair fans I have 4 noctua high pressure fans, 2 push, 2 pull. As long as the radiator is cool to the touch, I don't need more radiator.

I didn't underclock the CPU at all. Totally stock. You can see the one peak jumping up to 4.2GHz I don't know how you can say I am wasting anything cooling wise if I can't get the heat above 52c. The H100v2 isn't quite stock. In place of the 2 corsair fans I have 4 noctua high pressure fans, 2 push, 2 pull. As long as the radiator is cool to the touch, I don't need more radiator.

Something is wrong. Your CPU should remain at const. 4.4 GHz during cinebench max load. However your IPG graphs just show a short peak and subsequently some heavy throttle to const. 3.5 GHz. Compare your Cinebench IPG graphs with mine implemented in my guide.

Also compare achieved cinebench and geekbench scores.

Maybe then you will understand to what I was referring above.

@kgp Thanks a lot for taking the time to read through my post. I tried my best to put all the available information inside which was a bit too much. I tried reordering/rewriting #11,759 - is it now better understandable?

- IOREG.save was attached but under the default name Romano’s iMac Pro.zip. My bad - fixed in this post.
- Did not install SSDT-X299-HDEF.aml because the github table said "On-board Realtek ALC S1220 HD Audio controller HDEF PCI implementation" and I did not want to install Onboard sound - did not think of any relation to the graphics.

I installed all your suggested files (including the new TB) - and apart from the PCI definition - nothing changed.

Problems I still have
Have you checked?: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/in-progress-ssdt-for-thunderbolt-3-hotplug.248784/
Did not have the time to fully understand how the IOReg lookup and ssdt change work - still need to figure that out.

2. Every other boot fails - shutdown and restart always helped (see attached screenshot boot.jpg)
3. HDMI port still the only one working - DP ports wont work (same behavior as described in #11,759)
4. The logic test file you provided will not play any audio but display an overload (see screenshot logic_hyper_test).
A friend of mine tested this in his studio (native mac pro - old but extremely configured), with the same result.

I agree NVIDIA is not the way. Was mentioned in the BuyersGuide - so i thought this is it.
The Vega seems to be far to expensive - i will only do audio work and just need something to run (up to 5) displays.
I read many good things about the Radeon RX 580 4 GB - for many users in this forum this worked natively - but you explicitly said: Don't, because of iGPU problems. What does that mean? This would be the best value option for me. Is it really a no go?
The "8GB Sapphire Nitro Radeon R9 390" - the M 2GB version of it is in my macbook. Maybe better?

I updated all files according to the current state. The EFI folder is exactly the one you posted.

The RX 580 can be a problem without an iGPU (onboard motherboard graphics which the X299 does not support). My RX580 was never stable until I moved it to a 2010 MacPro. I don't think any of the cards out there can do 5 displays so you are likely looking at 2 cards.

If you just need a lot of monitors with decent performance but you don't play games, Look at the workstation cards that are supported. A pair of used W7000s will support 8 monitors and would cost around $300 for the pair if you shop for a good deal. Other options are the WX7100, WX5100, and WX4100.

@macs_forever Are you sure on that? Everywhere I read they say 5 displays is ok. I will only run them Full hd - so this would basically be a 4K + 1 monitor.
See e.g.
The W7000 seems to be a good options. The store sale price in germany is quite high with 260 € (170€ when used) each at least.

Think I will give the rx 580 a try, see how it performs. If not - i switch to the W7000 - starting with 1 card with 4 ports (which would be a good start)

Edit: Just read this post: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/amd-rx-finally-without-igpu.229557/ - it says whatevergreen and lilu make it happen without iGPU.

Last edited:

Problems I still have

Again you are mixing up all your apparent issues instead of opting for a stepwise bug fixing.

Let's start with TB only. Did you implement SSDT-X299-TB3HP.aml adapted for the ASUS Prime X299 Deluxe II, which I recently uploaded in post #11,765?

At least UPSB, DSB0, NHI0, DSB1 and DSB4 seem now properly implemented when inspecting your recent IOREG save. The results are also confirmed by your "PCI" snapshot.

However, the entire DSB2/XHC5 implementation is missing! Seems there is no XHCI ACPI table implemented for your TTR onboard controller. Thus, also the DSB2/XHC5 replacement and respective DSM implementations in the SSDT fail to load during boot.

Compare my DSB2 implementation with yours:

Screenshot 2019-01-22 at 22.04.37.png

I am sure there is also no TB XHCI ACPI table without SSDT-X299-TB3HP.aml

Check your BIOS settings. BTW.. Did you try installing the TTR TB drivers and initialise your TTR onboard controller under windows at first place? Does TB and USB-C + HotPlug work in this case?

We have to find the reason for the apparent flaws under macOS.

Just a short comment on Vegas. You may find a good offer for some used Vega on Ebay, if you do not want to spent more than 200 to 300 $. Forget about RX 580 when using SMBIOS iMacPro1,1. And for running 5 monitors with a Nvidia under macOS , I just wish you good luck.. ;)

Last edited:
@macs_forever Are you sure on that? Everywhere I read they say 5 displays is ok. I will only run them Full hd - so this would basically be a 4K + 1 monitor.
See e.g.
The W7000 seems to be a good options. The store sale price in germany is quite high with 260 € (170€ when used) each at least.

Think I will give the rx 580 a try, see how it performs. If not - i switch to the W7000 - starting with 1 card with 4 ports (which would be a good start)

Edit: Just read this post: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/amd-rx-finally-without-igpu.229557/ - it says whatevergreen and lilu make it happen without iGPU.

Not with SMBIOS iMacPro1,1! Whatevergreen.kext does not change anything on that fact! This SMBIOS does not support iGPU, as repeatedly outlined in my guide! As also the native iMac Pro uses a Vega, you should also use a Vega 56 or 64 with SMBIOS iMacPro1,1!

I am really getting tired with the permanent RX 580 discussion and with repeating myself infinitely in my answers. Read all respective posts along the X299 threads. The RX 580 SMBIOS incompatibly is a very well know and settled issue confirmed by many users!

Last edited:
Hackintoshes in general seem to have more trouble using all the ports. I've never heard of anyone using all the ports on a single RX570/580 under MacOS. Some RX 580s like the MSI card don't even have 5 ports because they drop the DVI port. All I can say is good luck with that.

Not with SMBIOS iMacPro1,1! This SMBIOS does not support iGPU, as repeatedly outlined in my guide! As also the native iMac Pro uses a Vega, you should also use a Vega 56 or 64 with SMBIOS iMacPro1,1! And running Skylake-X and X299, I would also not opt for a SMBIOS different than SMBIOS iMacPro1,1 just for the sake of running a 200$ graphics card.

I can only say the W7000 worked perfectly for me on the X299 aside from being slower. The RX580 did not. YMMV

Reactions: kgp
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back