CPU
i9-7980XE
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
iMac, MacBook Pro, Mac mini
Mobile Phone
iOS
@kgp , Hi KGP, I just switched my 1080ti to SAPPHIRE NITRO+ Radeon RX Vega 64, and changed to the water cooler too. it works fine, but just one problem, it's black screen after sleep. my main board is x299 Gigabyte aorus gaming 9, CPU is 7940x. Here is my clover EFI file and exported IORegistryExplorer file. could you please guide me how to solve this black screen problem? Thanks!
Talking about a black screen on wake... can you access the computer remotely? I guess the latter will not be the case.

1.) I clearly state in my guide not to use MatchOS entries for kext and kernel patches, if you use one, you should use MatchOS entries anywhere.
2.) What for do you use a port limit patches, while implemented a kext with 7 HS ports, only?
3.) How do you expect the kext to work without adding any SSP ports?
4.) Moreover four HS ports in your kext have UsbConnector number 3 (USB3.0) and the respective SSP ports therefore would be compulsory.
5.) Are you using a ASUS Aquantia 10GB NIC? Or what is the reason for enabling the AppleEthernetAquantiaAqtion.kext patch?
6.) What for do you use the NVIDIA com.apple.driver.AppleHDAController.kext patch having a Vega?
7.) AppleALC is outdated.
8.) When using SSDT-X299-Vega you should also use SSDT-X299-HDEF
9.) Remove "drivers64" directory
10.) Clover is a mess and outdated, implemented efi-files are from February, June and November 2018. No consistent Clover build..

etc.

Motherboard
ASUS X299 Prime Deluxe II
CPU
i9-9980XE
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
Anyone using Premiere Pro here with a Vega FE?

I had export system freezes with CC2018 and just tried CC2019 and this issue hasn't been fixed.

Basically any timeline with OpenCL, Metal or Software Only renderer and exporting to hardware or software H264 from premiere freezes the whole system.

This can be easily replicated if you have Chrome open with 4k YT video playing (try multiple windows/tabs) while exporting

kgp

Retired
Motherboard
ASUS WS X299 Sage 10G
CPU
i9-7980XE
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
Mobile Phone
iOS
My friends,

From today, I will be on holidays and hardly able to connect for some days.

Enjoy, have fun and thanks for your patience,

kgp.png

Motherboard
Gigabyte X299 Aorus Gaming 9
CPU
i9-7940X
Graphics
RX Vega 64
Mac
MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
Talking about a black screen on wake... can you access the computer remotely? I guess the latter will not be the case.

1.) I clearly state in my guide not to use MatchOS entries for kext and kernel patches, if you use one, you should use MatchOS entries anywhere.
2.) What for do you use a port limit patches, while implemented a kext with 7 HS ports, only?
3.) How do you expect the kext to work without adding any SSP ports?
4.) Moreover four HS ports in your kext have UsbConnector number 3 (USB3.0) and the respective SSP ports therefore would be compulsory.
5.) Are you using a ASUS Aquantia 10GB NIC? Or what is the reason for enabling the AppleEthernetAquantiaAqtion.kext patch?
6.) What for do you use the NVIDIA com.apple.driver.AppleHDAController.kext patch having a Vega?
7.) AppleALC is outdated.
8.) When using SSDT-X299-Vega you should also use SSDT-X299-HDEF
9.) Remove "drivers64" directory
10.) Clover is a mess and outdated, implemented efi-files are from February, June and November 2018. No consistent Clover build..

etc.
Thanks, KGP, the MatchOS entries was made by FB-Patcher, I just removed it and related kext. your SSDT-X299-HDEF not work for me, my sound chip is ALC1220, not S1220. the drivers64 folder removed and rebuild official clover. but black screen still happen after sleep. Tomorrow I will try to use HDMI to connect my 32UD99 monitor, now it's connected by DP, might it's the main reason of black screen?

kgp

Retired
Motherboard
ASUS WS X299 Sage 10G
CPU
i9-7980XE
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
Mobile Phone
iOS
Thanks, KGP, the MatchOS entries was made by FB-Patcher, I just removed it and related kext. your SSDT-X299-HDEF not work for me, my sound chip is ALC1220, not S1220. the drivers64 folder removed and rebuild official clover. but black screen still happen after sleep. Tomorrow I will try to use HDMI to connect my 32UD99 monitor, now it's connected by DP, might it's the main reason of black screen?
No.. both DP and HDMI should work flawless including sleep /wake, always supposed that you use Whatevergreen.kext.

Motherboard
ASUS X299 Prime Deluxe II
CPU
i9-9980XE
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
New BIOS for Designare EX, supporting the newest X299 chips.

I think they will be going on sale November 12 or later this month. I'm eyeing the i9-9980XE

Screen Shot 2018-11-11 at 4.34.13 PM.png

anonym323

Banned
Motherboard
Asus X299 Deluxe
CPU
i9-7980XE
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
MacBook Pro, Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
@kgp : How it can be that you don't know anything about a fix from your friend @DSM2 ?
Beef? :D

A screenshot from his post:

Bildschirmfoto 2018-11-12 um 09.32.12.png

I've attached the Kext he posted on this website.

now the only issue remains the super slow internet speed after sleep / wake
Turn off all Settings like on this picture under Preferences Save Energy and everything will be great again.

Bild 12.11.18 um 09.17.jpg

@izo1 : You will make big mistake if you buy a 9980XE, much better option is the 7980XE.
The TIM Intel used is total crap again...
A delid will still bring 8-10 degress and already proofed by a couple overclockers like der8auer and much more.
So best way is to go with the 7980XE, delid it and everything will be great.

Attachments

Last edited:

kgp

Retired
Motherboard
ASUS WS X299 Sage 10G
CPU
i9-7980XE
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
Mobile Phone
iOS
@kgp : How it can be that you don't know anything about a fix from your friend @DSM2 ?
Beef? :D

A screenshot from his post:

View attachment 365006

I've attached the Kext he posted on this website.

Turn off all Settings like on this picture under Preferences Save Energy and everything will be great again.

View attachment 364997

@izo1 : You will make big mistake if you buy a 9980XE, much better option is the 7980XE.
The TIM Intel used is total crap again...
A delid will still bring 8-10 degress and already proofed by a couple overclockers like der8auer and much more.
So best way is to go with the 7980XE, delid it and everything will be great.
We are not in touch and I do not follow what he is doing.. Good to know about this fix anyway.

Anybody who prefers to continue with the port limit patch might now be able to do so. Thanks.

Anyway, I recently decided to stay within Apple's USB 15-port limit from now and I also provide all details how to do so.

Thanks,

KGP

Last edited:
Motherboard
Asus X299A
CPU
i7-7800X
Graphics
GTX 980 Ti
Mac
MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
We are not in touch and I do not follow what he is doing.. Good to know about this fix anyway.

Anybody who prefers to continue with the port limit patch might now be able to do so. Thanks.

Anyway, I recently decided to stay within Apple's USB 15-port limit from now and I also provide all details how to do so.

Thanks,

KGP
Isn't what he is doing is just using the IOUSBHostFamily.kext from 10.14, so that the patches still work?

That Equals Not Vanilla install, asking for trouble with future updates.

I agree with @kgp that the custom Kext's in clover to disable USB ports that aren't going to be used anyway is the best approach.

Reactions: kgp
Motherboard
GA-Z390 Designare
CPU
i7 9900K
Graphics
UHD630 & Radeon VII
Mac
MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, Mac mini, Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
Well here in Germany one would currently get it on Amazon MarketPlace for 1450€. But MarketPlace means, no full Amazon service and warranty. I had a chat with Amazon Germany yesterday, and they think that they would be able to directly offer the 5K2K here in Germany on Amazon within the next two weeks.

However, I was brainstorming your recent valuable statements and I am left with some big doubt if I really should go for the actual LG 5K2K at the moment...
Hi KGP,
Thanks for all you do. Your guides have been very helpful.
I recently received my 2x 34wk95u-w monitors, meant to replace some good old Dell U3415WB monitors. So the intention is to go from 3440x1440@60 x2 to 5120x2160@60 x2. I had previously helped a client set up an LG ultrafine 5K monitor, so I was aware that getting resolutions above 3840x2160 could be a challenge.

First of all, the monitor's DP is definitely DP1.4. You can actually select the DP operating standard in the menu (1.4, 1.2 or 1.1)

Of course there is also a thunderbolt 3 port, but a minor frustration there is that there is no second thunderbolt 3 port so the monitor has to be an endpoint device.

From all my research and understanding of the capabilities of the various ports, one SHOULD be able to drive the monitor at full resolution via one of two methods:

1) Set the monitor to use DP 1.4 mode, and connect the monitor using a DP 1.4 certified cable to a DP 1.4 port on a supporting GPU. In my case i am running a 1080TI which does have DP 1.4 ports.

2) Connect two DP cables between the GPU and a thunderbolt 3 AIC and connect the monitor via TB3 cable (this is how i got the ultrafine 5K working for my client, that monitor ONLY has this Thunderbolt 3 port option)

I am attempting option #1. However i have yet to have success running the full resolution with macOS.
I am using the monitor supplied cable (which has a 5K label on it) to make sure cable quality should not be a factor.
I have tested with both the most recent LILU/Whatevergreen kexts, as well as the modified kexts from this thread:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/nvidia-gtx1080-lg-ultrafine-5k-full-5k-60hz-success.240730/

Using the latest kexts, even with the common boot-args suggested (-ngfxnoaudio ngfxpatch=pikera nv_createDetailedTimingsFromEdid=1 -ngfxnoaudiocon -liludbgall) i seem fully restricted to 3840x2160 or bellow in macOS.

Using the modified kexts and the above boot-args, i can get macOS to select the full 5120x2160- and it recognizes the monitor and from the OS side everything seems correct and working, however the monitor remains completely blank/black. I am only able to interact with the computer via screen sharing (which again, appears at full resolution) or by having a second lower resolution monitor attached. For whatever reason whenever i send a full resolution signal, the monitor just goes blank even though it otherwise appears to be working to macOS. Switching to DP 1.2 mode on the monitor brings it back to life, albeit limited to 4K resolution max.

At this point i am scratching my head and wondering if macOS completely lacks support for DP 1.4 at this time? Or if this is an nvidia limitation? I am "stuck" at 10.13.6 because of lack of nvidia support in 10.14, but i do have a vega64 and RX580 available to test with so that might be next.

Also as a sanity check, full 5K 5120x2160 works perfectly and OOB in windows 10. So the cable seems fine and the GPU and monitor are working correctly together given the right circumstances- but i have not been able to create those circumstances in macOS.

I also have little doubt that option #2, connecting the monitor via TB3 would work, as i have gotten that to work with my client using the ultrafine 5K and the same GPU. But because these monitors are thunderbolt endpoints, and because my GPU only has a total of 3 DP ports, i will need to get at least one of the two monitors working with option #1.

Anyway, these monitors are beautiful, and i hope we can figure out a solution to nvidia + DP 1.4 for 5K over a single cable in macOS.

g\

Status
Not open for further replies.