Contribute
Register

How to build your own iMac Pro [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Code:
AppleEthernetAquantiaAqtion    6275696C 742D696E    62626262 62626262   Aquantia "built-in" patch ©Mieze

That one also survives under 10.14

Thanks a lot @kgp, I will try to update the chip tonight through the following procedure:

1. Fresh install of 10.13.1 on virgin SSD, no other drives on board, just Vega GFX and NIC installed
2. Update to 10.13.2
3. Update to 10.13.3 (iMac Pro update version) with the proposed hex values for manipulation of kext
4. Check, if NIC runs under 10.13.3
5. Remove 10.13.3 SSD and re-insert 10.14. NVME and see if the NIC will be functional under 10.14.

Makes sense?

You can looking for 802.11AC BCM94360CS2 Airport WiFi 867Mbps WLAN Card Bluetooth 4.0+NGFF M.2 Adapter+Antennas in Alliexpress.
And remove protector white plastic. It work OOB (Continuity / handoff), simply ajust PCI0.RP03.PXSX for listing in PCI if you want.

Ah okay so you can’t put the white protector back on with this.

Thanks a lot @kgp, I will try to update the chip tonight through the following procedure:

1. Fresh install of 10.13.1 on virgin SSD, no other drives on board, just Vega GFX and NIC installed
2. Update to 10.13.2
3. Update to 10.13.3 (iMac Pro update version) with the proposed hex values for manipulation of kext
5. Remove 10.13.3 SSD and re-insert 10.14. NVME and see if the NIC will be functional under 10.14.

Makes sense?

Yup.. although I guess that you should enable the kext patch after your NIC received the necessary modifications by macOS 10.13.3.

Which version of pro tools are you running? I'm running 2018.10 with ridiculous amounts of plugins, no problem.

We are running 12.0, I only seem to have this panic in protools. I've ran other programs just fine, and have good benchmarks when using geek bench. It seems to only be ProTools when I have a lot of plugins, I think we have around 500 or so on the project that always crashes the computer with that kernel panic. I'm just lost right now trying to figure out what to even look for in my setup.

2. Update to 10.13.2

Makes sense?

For my rampage vi extreme, I just made an install of 10.13.3 (doesn’t have to be iMac pro version) and restarted the comp a few times until the 10GB built in was flashed. The Kext patch isn’t necessary on 10.13.3 Then went back to my original ssd on Mojave and applied the patch.

For my rampage vi extreme, I just made an install of 10.13.3 (doesn’t have to be iMac pro version) and restarted the comp a few times until the 10GB built in was flashed. The Kext patch isn’t necessary on 10.13.3 Then went back to my original ssd on Mojave and applied the patch.

I just could find a 10.13.1 installer, so I am most likely stuck with the "upgrade" procedure solution ...

@djlild7hina @kgp

Will the update work with a iMac17 SMBIOS?

I do not have a EFI Folder for 10.13.3 with iMacPro SMBIOS and I can't make the iMac17 folder work with iMacPro SMBIOS.

While booting 10.13.3 with iMac17 SMBIOS, nothing has happened since 6 or 7 boots.

Also, when updating from 10.13.2 to 10.13.3, did you choose the specific iMacPro update?

Thanks!

Last edited:
@djlild7hina @kgp

Will the update work with a iMac17 system definition?

I do not have a EFI Folder for 10.13.3 with iMacPro system definition and I can't make the iMac17 folder work with iMacPro system profile.

While booting 10.13.3 with iMac17 system definition, nothing has happened since 6 or 7 boots

Just be patient.. you don't new the iMacPro system definition for this...

It might require 10 to 20 boots until the Aquantia receives the update.

Just ensure that the kext patch is disabled!

Just be patient.. you don't new the iMacPro system definition for this...

It might require 10 to 20 boots until the Aquantia receives the update.

Just ensure that the kext patch is disabled!

It's done - I am member of the mile high .... erm ... 10G/bit club.

Thank you so much!

MASTER OF 44 PCI LANES

Folks, this is as beautiful as it might get. ... ever soon ...

PCI 1 AMD VEGA 16x LANES
PCI 2 ASUS C100C 10G/bit NIC 4x LANES
PCI 3 3x4 PCI LANES for M2. NVME 12x LANES (4x available ...) ... (16x in max out, 1 slot to go, sooo cool!)
PCI 4 NVIDIA 2080 TI 8x PCI LANES

As @kgp pointed out, the difference for the NVIDIA 2080 TI working 8x PCI LANES is neglectable - DOOM and StaxRip (under WIN) running at their best.

This is a tipping point, a peak of what is possible and what we have achieved as a team here (though I feel like flashing the Asus C100C is like an eater egg --> people at Apple ...)

If you ask me one thing about achievement this year ... 10.14. and this beautiful setup is it! And of course 5k2k!

Happy X-MAS ... while waiting for 30th of Movember (don't forget to donate ...)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back