Contribute
Register

How to build your own iMac Pro [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah thanks, so that kext doesn't have the kp like AppleIGB.kext sometimes has ?

I'm trying a few things for the sleep / wake and will report back if I find anything

Yes it is supposed that the SmallTree-Intel-211-AT-PCIe-GBE.kext works flawless with the latter GB Lan controller.

Minor revision of my Skylake-X/X299 macOS High Sierra 10.13 Desktop Guide

1.) New EFI-Folder attached at the end of the originating post/guide and here below.

EFI-Folder related modifications:
  • Implementation of Clover Boot Loader Distribution Clover_v2.4k_r4268

2.) Minor modifications in the originating post/guide.

Guide related modifications:
  • Replacement of AppleIGB.kext by SmallTree-Intel-211-AT-PCIe-GBE.kext for the proper and flawless implementation of the Intel 211-AT GB Lan Controller.
  • Minor fixes and updates
Enjoy and have fun :thumbup:

kgp.png

Attachments

• EFI-X299-10.13-SU-Release-311017.zip
    19.3 MB · Views: 373
  • SmallTree-Intel-211-AT-PCIe-GBE.kext.zip
    72.8 KB · Views: 2,084
Last edited:
Yes it is supposed that the SmallTree-Intel-211-AT-PCIe-GBE.kext works flawless with the latter GB Lan controller.
Ok great - will give it a try.

Do you have a single NIC connected or both ? Have you tried the different NIC ports one at a time to see if they still cause wake from sleep, or even test sleep with all network cables unplugged ?

Ok great - will give it a try.

Do you have a single NIC connected or both ? Have you tried the different NIC ports one at a time to see if they still cause wake from sleep, or even test sleep with all network cables unplugged ?

I have both NICs enabled and implemented but just the Intel 211-AT connected. Any tests in this direction at your side are welcome and appreciated! I myself did not perform any tests in this direction so far. You can also play with "Above 4G Decoding" on and off when using the TBEX 3...

Thank you for your clarification, but there was a misunderstanding. The errors appear even without the Inateck. The test with your kext was done without it, so the failure is more the USB3 implementation in general. I believe the Inateck performs just normal and i also dont think that there is anything wrong with your guide. Its just a combination of devices that are not handled properly at the moment. But as i wrote in my updates, the failure occurs especially when connecting unpopulated card readers. Brand doesn't matter. Any other device works fine. You can try it easily yourself.

I'm still struggling to get my SSD system disk setup correctly.
'Install RC scripts on target volume' and 'Install Clover preference pane' are both greyed out when I prepare my SSD and I cannot select them, but they are available when I am creating my USB boot stick.
I have tried with the SSD connected via a USB-C adaptor on my laptop using terminal (OS-X El-Capitan) and on my previous hackintosh Yosemite 10.10.5 with disk connected to a motherboard SATA port, using both disk utility and the terminal command:
diskutil partitionDisk /dev/disk2 1 GPT jhfs+ "High Sierra” R
The drive partitions and formats OK, I can mount the EFI partition with Clover configurator and copy the files into the EFI partition, my only problem is that when installing Clover the options to 'Install RC scripts on target volume' and 'Install Clover preference pane' are both greyed out.
I have no problems creating my USB boot disk, but cannot get these options to be available on my SSD system disk.
I am using Clover 2 4k r4268.
I get the impression it is because Clover is not seeing my SSD as a bootable OSX system volume.
If I continue without selecting the install RC scripts on target volume, and install clover preference pane and put the SSD into the X299 machine I can actually boot from the SSD if I choose to do so, but following the guide exactly and using the USB disk and SSD together it fails after choosing to boot from the USB when it comes up with the line of +++++ symbols, it stops and doesnt get further than that.
I am guessing that is because I have not been able to select the Install RC scripts on target volume and install clover preference pane when preparing the SDD?
any help would be very much appreciated.
Rob

I'm still struggling to get my SSD system disk setup correctly.
'Install RC scripts on target volume' and 'Install Clover preference pane' are both greyed out when I prepare my SSD and I cannot select them, but they are available when I am creating my USB boot stick.
I have tried with the SSD connected via a USB-C adaptor on my laptop using terminal (OS-X El-Capitan) and on my previous hackintosh Yosemite 10.10.5 with disk connected to a motherboard SATA port, using both disk utility and the terminal command:
diskutil partitionDisk /dev/disk2 1 GPT jhfs+ "High Sierra” R
The drive partitions and formats OK, I can mount the EFI partition with Clover configurator and copy the files into the EFI partition, my only problem is that when installing Clover the options to 'Install RC scripts on target volume' and 'Install Clover preference pane' are both greyed out.
I have no problems creating my USB boot disk, but cannot get these options to be available on my SSD system disk.
I am using Clover 2 4k r4268.
I get the impression it is because Clover is not seeing my SSD as a bootable OSX system volume.
If I continue without selecting the install RC scripts on target volume, and install clover preference pane and put the SSD into the X299 machine I can actually boot from the SSD if I choose to do so, but following the guide exactly and using the USB disk and SSD together it fails after choosing to boot from the USB when it comes up with the line of +++++ symbols, it stops and doesnt get further than that.
I am guessing that is because I have not been able to select the Install RC scripts on target volume and install clover preference pane when preparing the SDD?
any help would be very much appreciated.
Rob

Clover Install RC Scripts and clover preference pane are just add-ons which are not mandatory for clover functionality.

a.) Try to format your with the following terminal command as indicated in my guide:

Code:
diskutil partitionDisk /dev/diskX GPT JHFS+ New 0b

"X" is a place holder for the correct numbering of the disk to be formatted (e.g. /dev/disk2) and "New" is a place holder for the name of your new disk, which iso course up to your choice. "0b" tells diskutil to use the entire disk for the new HFS+ Partition.

b.) Try to to use the Install Disk Creator.app for the MacOS USB Flash Drive Installer creation.

With a.) and b.) you should also be able to perform a macOS install by means fo the MacOS USB Flash Drive Installer and your newly formatted 10.13. system disk.

Good luck:thumbup:

KGP

Attachments

• Install Disk Creator.app.zip
    1.3 MB · Views: 281
Last edited:
Hey KGP, thanks a lot for the guide. I've based my new build off all of your work, but I'm running into the same issue over and over no matter what I try.

System Configuration: i7-7820X (8-core), ASUS Prime X299 Deluxe, 2x Gigabyte GTX 1070 (only using one during installation).

I followed your setup to the letter, starting with making my BIOS settings identical to yours. I've gone through the process of setting up the High Sierra installation USB without any issue, and formatted my 960GB SSD and am able to access both EFI partitions without issue. I went through all the error prevention methods one by one, for example like removing EmuVariableUefi-64.efi from the USB EFI folder, adding the VoodooTSCSync.kext with the updated IOCPU value (15 in my case) and checking that I have the latest apfs.efi etc. etc.

When attempting the MacOS install on the SSD, I get through the first boot without issue, and start installing to the SSD. The second boot also goes fine, and it restarts after a couple minutes just like your guide mentions, however on the third boot/install I get an error from the MacOS installer saying Mac can't be installed due to a hardware issue, and so my only option is to restart. I was getting this error with your last EFI folder, and the same error with the new EFI folder you uploaded earlier today. I've tried resetting the BIOS to defaults, and going through your list again, as well as several reformats and EFI setups on both the flash drive and the SSD and I'm not sure what else I can try at this point.

I know I'm not giving you much to go off of here, but let me know what other info I can try and provide or if you have any ideas as to why it keeps happening. Thanks again for all your help throughout this thread!

Hey KGP, thanks a lot for the guide. I've based my new build off all of your work, but I'm running into the same issue over and over no matter what I try.

System Configuration: i7-7820X (8-core), ASUS Prime X299 Deluxe, 2x Gigabyte GTX 1070 (only using one during installation).

I followed your setup to the letter, starting with making my BIOS settings identical to yours. I've gone through the process of setting up the High Sierra installation USB without any issue, and formatted my 960GB SSD and am able to access both EFI partitions without issue. I went through all the error prevention methods one by one, for example like removing EmuVariableUefi-64.efi from the USB EFI folder, adding the VoodooTSCSync.kext with the updated IOCPU value (15 in my case) and checking that I have the latest apfs.efi etc. etc.

When attempting the MacOS install on the SSD, I get through the first boot without issue, and start installing to the SSD. The second boot also goes fine, and it restarts after a couple minutes just like your guide mentions, however on the third boot/install I get an error from the MacOS installer saying Mac can't be installed due to a hardware issue, and so my only option is to restart. I was getting this error with your last EFI folder, and the same error with the new EFI folder you uploaded earlier today. I've tried resetting the BIOS to defaults, and going through your list again, as well as several reformats and EFI setups on both the flash drive and the SSD and I'm not sure what else I can try at this point.

I know I'm not giving you much to go off of here, but let me know what other info I can try and provide or if you have any ideas as to why it keeps happening. Thanks again for all your help throughout this thread!

See post #1097 ....

Thank you, complete the ACL, this problem has been bothering me, I am X299 installed with June 29th

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back