Contribute
Register

How to build your own iMac Pro [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you bring back the bios patch step by step instructions? It took me a long time to find them. Sadly, Asus only updated the 1503 bios for the Deluxe Board, I still had to apply to patch for the Prime X299-A. Also Awesome Work!

You only need to patch the new BIOS if you want a custom splash screen (section E.11 of the guide), otherwise you can just load it normally. Just make sure you unlock the MSR register in the BIOS and use TSCAdjustRest.kext as outlined in section B.

Reactions: kgp
Last edited:
@giftmusic , @thenightflyer

I really don't get the point, as my guide is 100% compatible with the Designare EX.. o_O

One just needs to add boot flag npci=0x2000 and TSCAdjustReset.kext as indicated.. :rolleyes:

Why one would have to read 1000 pages for this minor finding? It's clearly outlined within my guide, even together with the respective Designare EX BIOS settings. o_O
Preface: your guide is excellent ...but something applied to Designare Ex X299 doesn't work and you don't use a Designare EX..... for example TSCAdjustReset.kext gives always TSC desynchronisation message and it's not mandatory into my system...if i've it or not nothing change! Editing TSCAdjustReset and setting value to "0" instead of usual "corenumbers -1" i've no more that message! So...
Our bios is not the same as Asus bios...we cannot set "Sync all Cores" and Thunderbolt menu is very different. And for thunderbolt, we have it onboard and trying different ssdt made by another user in another thread here doesn't have the same behaviour (no hot plug etc.)
So because giftmusic asked for a step by step specific guide for Designare Ex i pasted him a link with a guide made ONLY for that mb (and made by someone that maybe you know)...so you should not be upset. Your is an excellent work/guide and nobody want to devaluate your work.

Last edited:
Preface: your guide is excellent ...but something applied to Designare Ex X299 doesn't work and you don't use a Designare EX..... for example TSCAdjustReset.kext gives always TSC desynchronisation message and it's not mandatory into my system...if i've it or not nothing change! Editing TSCAdjustReset and setting value to "0" instead of usual "corenumbers -1" i've no more that message! So...
Our bios is not the same as Asus bios...we cannot set "Sync all Cores" and Thunderbolt menu is very different. And for thunderbolt, we have it onboard and trying different kext made by another user in another thread here doesn't have the same behaviour (no hot plug etc.)
So because giftmusic asked for a step by step specific guide for Designare Ex i pasted him a link with a guide made ONLY for that mb (and made by someone that maybe you know)...so you should not be upset. Your is an excellent work/guide and nobody want to devaluate your work.

Wrong, sorry..

1.) TSCAdjustReset.kext works also with the DesignareEX as expected. I did a proper Designare System Configuration myself some time ago. I know what I am talking about.. However, it might well be that for this particular mainboard there have been microcode updates within subsequent firmware releases, which make TSCAdjustReset.kext obsolete. If this is the case, I can add a short, simple, respective note at some adequate place.

2.) There is also a special guide section dedicated to DesignareEX BIOS settings (see Section B.2!).. Thus no need to follow my ASUS BIOS settings when using the DesignareEX. if you feel something missing there, come up with proposals instead of referring to other guides and further confusing the reader.

Carefully read my guide and then blame, if necessary.. ;)

I am not upset with you because you provided a link to a different guide than mine.. ;) I only do not see the latter necessary..

And that's just what I outlined in my previous reply.

All the best.. :thumbup:

KGP

Wrong, sorry..

1.) TSCAdjustReset.kext works also with the DesignareEX as expected. I did a proper Designare System Configuration myself some time ago. I know what I am talking about.. However, it might well be that for this particular mainboard there have been microcode updates within subsequent firmware releases, which make TSCAdjustReset.kext obsolete. If this is the case, I can add a short, simple, respective note at some adequate place.

2.) There is also a special guide section dedicated to DesignareEX BIOS settings (see Section B.2!).. Thus no need to follow my ASUS BIOS settings when using the DesignareEX. if you feel something missing there, come up with proposals instead of referring to other guides and further confusing the reader.

Carefully read my guide and then blame, if necessary.. ;)

I am not upset with you because you provided a link to a different guide than mine.. ;) I only do not see the latter necessary..

And that's just what I outlined in my previous reply.

All the best.. :thumbup:

KGP
TSCAdjustReset.kext gives always desync message. I can paste a pic/video of this message as proof. And another friend of mine with same mobo and conf can confirm that it doesn't work.

TSCAdjustReset.kext gives always desync message. I can paste a pic/video of this message as proof. And another friend of mine with same mobo and conf can confirm that it doesn't work.

This was not the case during my attempts.. Anyway, just drop TSCAdjustReset.kext, if really obsolete...

Anything else that would not be part of my guide and require an additional guide? o_O:rolleyes:

Seems to me that you're confused on what TSCAdjustReset does.
https://github.com/interferenc/TSCAdjustReset

It gives a sync message when there's something to resync. It's what this kext is supposed to do! They aren't error messages.

If putting 0 in the info.plist removes the message it's because there's now nothing to sync anymore.

Reactions: kgp
Yes I use lilu and whatevergreen.:thumbup:
got it man, you helped me a lot. you and mr. god himself aka KGP :)
do you have by chance an adopted xhci kext for x299 tuf mark 1?
I'm having "AppleUSBXHCI::interruptOccurred: clearing change bits on unused port..." on boot
and would like to get rid of it

Dear @kgp, first of all - thanks for this great guide! This is THE only complete guide for X299 platform. Your work is MUCH appreciated.

I installed 10.13.6 without many problems to this config:
  • Asus WS X299 SAGE 10G
  • i9-7960X + Noctua NH-D15S
  • 64GB Crucial RAM
  • 2x Gigabyte 1080 TI Turbo
  • 2x Samsung NVMe (256gb for OS, 1TB for cache)
  • EVGA SuperNova 1200w
  • Fractal Design XL R2
  • Blackmagic Design Declink 4K Extreme 12G
It looked a bit scary at start, but when you actually start working on it, it goes ok :)

Minor problems:
- UnSolid kext didn't work for me unfortunately. I had to use different method described here. With UnSolid, my NVMe still looked like SSD to OS.
- "Sync all cores" didn't work for me - I got kernel panics when under load, probably I woud need better cooling as you said.

There are a few things that I wanted to ask generally:
- USB is working without any special kext you mentioned, just with patches you provided in Clover Info.plist. Am I doing something wrong here - do I have to make custom kext? I have to make more extensive tests tomorrow, but for now everything works fine.
- Didn't test SATA (all my storage is external / NAS for now)
- I implemented all motherboard model-independent DSDT patches you suggested and specific ones for my CPU.

And some bigger questions:
1. I have onboard Intel X550-AT2 10gbe (2 ports) - I made it work using FakePCIID, FakePCIID_Intel_GbX and SmallTreeIntel8259x.kext... But only when installing in particular order and sometimes it breaks when rebuilding kext cache so I have to delete all 3 of them, reinstall and then it works again. Any idea why it happens or better way to implement it? I used this thread as a rough guide, especially this post. Solving this seems like only important thing now because it makes computer somewhat fragile. I described this in more detail here.

2. how crucial is section E.9.2) System SSDT PCI Device Implementation? @djlild7hina, you mentioned that I will probably need help with this part, but I don't really know how to start and what will I gain. Only PCIe cards I have are:
SLOT 1 - 1080 TI
SLOT 5 - 1080 TI
SLOT 6 - Blackmagicdesign Declink 4k Extreme 12G
... All three working as expected.
Are there any guides for this, but written for idiots like myself?

3. Sleep doesn't work. It need 10 seconds to go to sleep and then it wakes instantly. But this is not big issue for me, probably just a signal that I still need to fix some things.

Thank you all in advance!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back