CPU
i9-7980xe
Graphics
Vega
Mac
Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
Android
TB3 supports 5k monitors without a problem....so that monitor will work fine with MacBook Pro or any TB3 capable Mac and display at full resolution.
Well not quite.

It supports a 5K monitor through 2 DP1.2 MST, the same as having two cables.
Hence why you need to plug two DP cables from the video card into the TB3 adapter for those screen to work.

While yes, macos will show a single screen, it is technically two screens.
You can see it under Windows, the AMD control utility will show them as Screen1 and Screen2, each being half the resolution of the full screen

Same under Linux, which can't join the two screens properly either.

kgp

Retired
Motherboard
ASUS WS X299 Sage 10G
CPU
i9-7980XE
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
iMac, MacBook Pro, Mac mini
Mobile Phone
iOS
Thanks!

I have 2 files "kernel*.panic" with "errors" (I guess). Should I post the content here ?
What about about your AVX and AVX-512 settings ?

Motherboard
Asus Prime X299-Deluxe
CPU
i9-7900X
Graphics
Radeon VII
Question about these 4K ultrawide monitors... I currently have 2 Dell 29” 2560x1080 ultrawide monitors side-by-side and love it with the ability to see over the top of the monitors. Thinking about upgrading to dual 4K monitors. Any issue using 2 of the 38” LG’s with a 1080TI?

Motherboard
ASUS WS X299 SAGE/10G
CPU
i9-9980XE
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
Well not quite.

It supports a 5K monitor through 2 DP1.2 MST, the same as having two cables.
Hence why you need to plug two DP cables from the video card into the TB3 adapter for those screen to work.

While yes, macos will show a single screen, it is technically two screens.
You can see it under Windows, the AMD control utility will show them as Screen1 and Screen2, each being half the resolution of the full screen

Same under Linux, which can't join the two screens properly either.
Yes I know, but Apple has made it very simple and has had 5k monitors/capability for a very long time compared to others.

Windows is very far behind with 5k.

Motherboard
X299 Designare EX
CPU
i9-7980XE
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
512K, Plus
Mobile Phone
iOS
Question about these 4K ultrawide monitors... I currently have 2 Dell 29” 2560x1080 ultrawide monitors side-by-side and love it with the ability to see over the top of the monitors. Thinking about upgrading to dual 4K monitors. Any issue using 2 of the 38” LG’s with a 1080TI?
It shouldn't be a problem. They're not really even 4k. You should be able to support 2 4k monitors right?

Motherboard
Asus Prime X299-Deluxe
CPU
i9-7900X
Graphics
Radeon VII
It shouldn't be a problem. They're not really even 4k. You should be able to support 2 4k monitors right?
Should, but we all know things sometimes don't go the way as expected. I just want to make sure it actually will work before I make any purchases.

Motherboard
Asrock X299 TAICHI XE
CPU
i9 7940x
Graphics
Nvidia GTX 1080 TI FE
Mac
iMac, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
iMac
Mobile Phone
Android
All components seem to work fine, but my system have random freeze. One yesterday, and today, I worked all the day on this computer without problem, but, tonight, again a freeze at 20h30 and a second at 22H00.. By freeze, I mean, all is locked, screen, mouse, keyboard.. I must hard reboot the computer.

If someone can help me to investigate, I don't know which way to look.
Did you monitor CPU temperature. Install the Intel Power Gadget tool. If CPU temp is on higher side, then control it may be below 80c.

Motherboard
ASRock X299 Professional Gaming XE
CPU
i9-7980xe
Graphics
Vega
Mac
Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
Android
Yes I know, but Apple has made it very simple and has had 5k monitors/capability for a very long time compared to others.

Windows is very far behind with 5k.
Well, both the Dell and HP 5K were supported on Windows long before support was added on mac.

I think where that question matters as to the screen being made of two screens or one only is how many you can use simultaneously.

My Vega FE edition has 3 DP 1.4 ports.
Two of them are currently in use to drive my HP z27q screen. So I can only use one of those screens for lack of DP ports.

I will be able to use another of those LG 34" 5K2K as it needs a single DP cable. If it was TB3, I couldn't, TB3 is DP1.2 for now only (at least until someone release a TB3 card with the new intel TB chipset)

So it's a fair question to ask how those screens are setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.