CPU
i9-7980xe
Graphics
Vega
Mac
Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
Android
Just curious, why do you need to have it go to sleep?
For me it’s about 120W vs 0... that adds up in $$$ over time...

Motherboard
ASUS WS X299 SAGE/10G
CPU
i9-9980XE
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
For me it’s about 120W vs 0... that adds up in $$$ over time...
It should be lower than 120W if you let the display(s) sleep...

Motherboard
ASRock X299 Professional Gaming XE
CPU
i9-7980xe
Graphics
Vega
Mac
Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
Android
It should be lower than 120W if you let the display(s) sleep...
That’s what my UPS shows, the screen isn’t even plugged on the UPS.

BTW, my Bluetooth usb dongle works perfectly, I disabled the USB port attached to the built-in BT. haven’t tested with the Magic Trackpad as I don’t have it here.
Do you know if there’s a way to have both BT adapter working at the same time? So I would have the trackpad linked with the Broadcom BT card, and the headset with the USB dongle.

Found plenty of ways o switch between the two, but only one works at a time.

Motherboard
ASUS WS X299 SAGE/10G
CPU
i9-9980XE
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
That’s what my UPS shows, the screen isn’t even plugged on the UPS.

BTW, my Bluetooth usb dongle works perfectly, I disabled the USB port attached to the built-in BT. haven’t tested with the Magic Trackpad as I don’t have it here.
Do you know if there’s a way to have both BT adapter working at the same time? So I would have the trackpad linked with the Broadcom BT card, and the headset with the USB dongle.

Found plenty of ways o switch between the two, but only one works at a time.
Hm that's odd...mine is bout 80-100W on the PSU on idle with monitors off. Which is the equivalent to about 3-4 low powered light bulbs. It must not cost more than $20-30 per month (USD) on my end for idle.

Yeah the USB dongle will work better than onboard BT modules, including OSXWIFI (from my personal experience).

The downside is you cannot use that USB dongle with a wireless trackpad/keyboard/mouse during BIOS, it has to boot into an OS first.

Unlike OSXWIFI, which lets you have access to BT in BIOS.

I don't think you can mix USB dongles and have a good time. If it shows up under Bluetooth in Sys Info then I guess it's probable that it's working?

I just personally had issues with OSXWIFI + BT USB Dongle. I was trying to use the BT USB dongle only for audio and OSXWIFI BT for other stuff (incl wifi).

Motherboard
ASUS Prime X299 Deluxe
CPU
i9-7940X
Graphics
GTX 1080 Ti
Mac
iMac, MacBook Air, MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
Hi everyone,

Inspired by this thread and after spending sleepless nights deliberating the pros and cons (such as, why not just go with an EGPU for my thermal-throttled Macbook), I signed up here today. I just finished ordering a pile of components for my (hopefully) soon to be Hackintosh #2… my first one was a Dell PC in 2005 or so, which means that I'm a bit out of shape.

My initial build is supposed to look like this:
  • Intel Core i9-7940X [1068€]
  • Asus Prime X299 Deluxe [400€]
  • EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 Gaming [800€]
  • Corsair Hydro Series H150i [166€]
  • G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB DDR4-2666 [311€]
  • BeQuiet! Dark Power Pro 11 850W [190€]
  • Samsung 960 Evo2 500GB SSD (taken from old Macbook) [0€]
  • Generic 1TB HDD (taken from old iMac) [0€]
  • Thermaltake Core V51 Enclosure [103€]
  • 4-pin fan cable extension cord [5€]
  • ABWB 802,11 AC WI-FI + Bluetooth 4.0 PCI-Express (PCI-E) BCM943602CS Combo Card [49€]
  • Aqua Computer 53230 HUBBY7 internal USB 2.0 Hub [24€]
  • Apple Bluetooth Keyboard and Mouse (taken from old iMac) [0€]
  • Apple 30" Cinema Display w/ DVI port (taken from old Mac) [0€]
  • OSX 10.13.6, latest build
(Running total: 3116€)

Now while I'm waiting for the deliveries, some stupid questions to begin with:
  1. Do the instructions in post #1 of this thread reflect the current state of the art, or are the subsequent 1002 forum pages considered mandatory reading in order to get all the updates?
  2. I briefly glossed over MultiBeast and UniBeast, and it seems that MultiBeast now incorporates some X299 specific changes in the latest version. Does this mean that one could do a successful 79xx/X299-based installation with UniBeast/MultiBeast as well?
  3. I have a SSD from a previous MacBook which contains a 10.13.6 installation as well as my apps. If possible, I would prefer not to install all apps from scratch again. Is it feasible to overwrite the EFI partition of the SSD with the EFI files/folders as described in Post #1, install the SSD as an internal drive, and install 10.13.6 from the USB boot drive over the preexisting SSD macOS partition (which should result in preserving my existing apps and data)? Or do I really have to format everything and start from scratch with an empty disk?
Thanks for your help!

Last edited:
Motherboard
ASRock X299 Professional Gaming XE
CPU
i9-7980xe
Graphics
Vega
Mac
Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
Android
Hi everyone,

Inspired by this thread and after spending sleepless nights deliberating the pros and cons (such as, why not just go with an EGPU for my thermal-throttled Macbook), I signed up here today. I just finished ordering a pile of components for my (hopefully) soon to be Hackintosh #2… my first one was a Dell PC in 2005 or so, which means that I'm a bit out of shape.

Nvidia support on Mac isn't going to. Make your life easy.
The guide in this thread does *not* use MultiBeast nor UniBeast. I recommend that you read the first post carefully, it's all there.

For your 3rd question, yes it's entirely possible (reusing the ssd)

Motherboard
Asus Prime X299-Deluxe
CPU
i9-7900X
Graphics
Radeon VII
Nvidia support on Mac isn't going to. Make your life easy.
The guide in this thread does *not* use multibeast nor unibeast. I recommend that you read the first post carefully, it's all there.
I'm having zero issues using the exact same Nvidia card he's planning on getting. Just don't update the OS right away when new updates come out. Wait until Nvidia releases updated drivers, which lately takes only a day or so.

Motherboard
Asus Prime X299 Deluxe
CPU
i9-7900X
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
Android
Hi everyone,

• Corsair Hydro Series H150i [166€]
  • G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB DDR4-2666 [301€]
  • BeQuiet! Dark Power Pro 11 850W [190€]
  • Samsung 960 Evo2 500GB SSD (taken from old Macbook) [0€]
  • Generic 1TB HDD (taken from old iMac) [0€]
  • Thermaltake Core V51 Enclosure [103€]
  • Apple Bluetooth Keyboard and Mouse (taken from old iMac) [0€]
  • OSX 10.13.6, latest build
(Running total: 3028€)

Now while I'm waiting for the deliveries, some stupid questions to begin with:
  1. Do the instructions in post #1 of this thread reflect the current state of the art, or are the subsequent 1002 forum pages considered mandatory reading in order to get all the updates?
  2. I briefly glossed over Multibeast and Unibeast, and it seems that Multibeast now incorporates some X299 specific changes in the latest version. Does this mean that one could do a successful 79xx/X299-based installation with Unibeast/Multibeast as well?
  3. I have a SSD from a previous Macbook which contains a 10.13.6 installation as well as my apps. If possible, I would prefer not to install all apps from scratch again. Is it feasible to overwrite the EFI partition of the SSD with the EFI files/folders as described in post #1, install the SSD as an internal drive, and install 10.13.6 from the USB boot drive over the preexisting SSD OSX partition (which should result in preserving my existing apps and data)? Or do I really have to format everything and start from scratch with an empty disk?
Thanks for your help!
I have 2 identical builds, one with a Vega 64 and one with a 1050Ti. Definitely the one I've had most trouble with is the one with the NVidia card. I'm able to work with that machine and everything, but the Vega was way smoother to install and doesn't need any additional drivers. If I ever build another machine I would definitely go with a Nitro+ Vega 64.

Ellybz

Retired
Motherboard
Gigabyte X299 Aorus Gaming 7
CPU
i9-7980XE
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
iMac
Mobile Phone
Android
Thanks for all your answers.

With my real Mac (MBP) I never had this issue so I can't test it there.
The USB hard drives were from Seagate, also tested pen drives by SanDisk and others. So far all behave the same.
Will have a look into Mountain, thanks.

Thanks for your kext and uploads, @izo1

I will have a look into it.

As I have the ASUS Prime Deluxe mobo I followed kgp's guide and use his SSDTs (the EFI contribution with three SSDTs) as well as USB kext, without USBInjectAll, but with port limit patch.
I deactivated the patch as well as the kext, but the eject problem was still there (not trying the Spotlight workaround though).

As I don't use all my USB ports anyway, I will have a look in stripping down kgp's kext and deactivate some USB 2 functions to stay under the amount of 15 ports and after that deactivate the port limit patch.
This would also make future system updates maybe a bit smoother.

I also tried disabling XMP (found somewhere) -> but made no difference

In one forum someone solved it by disabling BIOS setting 'Internal CPU PLL Overvoltage'.
It looks like it was a Gigabyte mobo (GA-Z77X-UP5 TH). Is this setting also available in the Designare?
@[fingers-crossed
I might have a workaround solution for you. I just crossed an app called Jettison by St Clair. It does exactly what you're looking for.

Last edited:
Motherboard
Asus X299 WS Sage
CPU
i9-7980XE
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
iMac, Mac Pro
For your 3rd question, yes it's entirely possible (reusing the ssd)
I've alway reused my system drives. in fact, for my upgrade to my 7940, I just did.

Most of the adjustments and adaptations for your new motherboard and hardware occur in Clover, not in the system drive.

While it's true that some files get installed on the system drive in /Library/Extensions/ folder, more and more these files do not affect using and booting from the system drive. Personally, I install most/all of the kexts I need in Clover, not in /L/E/ folder.

Status
Not open for further replies.