Contribute
Register

How to bring your Apple Pro Speakers Back To Life!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-H61N-USB3
CPU
Intel I5 3550
Graphics
XFX Radeon 6450
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
  4. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Classic
  2. Performa
  3. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
When it comes to the look and sound of the Apple Pro Speakers, there just isn't quite anything like it. Now you can bring these old speakers back to life again for use with your Mac or Hack. At the end your Apple Pro Speakers should look like so:

img0248r.jpg

As you probably already know, the Apple Pro Speakers came with a 2.5 jack.
img0258xj.jpg

Unlike what is the most common which is the 3.5 jack. So the stock plug on these won't work. What can we do? When it comes down to it, a speaker is just a speaker.

Here is what you'll need to get these working again.
Subwoofer. (optional but would be nice) 2 to 5 Outputs. I used Logitech
img0254kn.jpg

Apple Pro Speakers (I found 2 pairs at Unique Thrift Store) Not saying they'll have them
but a really good place to look. imunique.com
img0256mc.jpg

RCA or 3.5 Jack cable. I used RCA as my Sub took RCA
img0255cl.jpg

Soldering Iron or Station. My station is from RadioShack. Its my Favorite one so far.
Wire Strippers
Scissors
Solder
3 Small torx tools, to Open the rear housing. Don't need torx thats just what I used.
Small Phillips

Before we begin, feel free to watch the video at the end of this article. Maybe it will get you more motived and help you accomplish this task.

If your not even sure if your apple speakers work, you can just cut right before the circle part. Attach the two wires to a radio that has the push plate connection.

img0259ei.jpg

Get out the old Wire Strippers and Strip some housing off

img0260zu.jpg

Inside you'll find Brown and Blue which are Negative - and Yellow and White which are Positive +

img0261ye.jpg

You can just connect these to a small amp and it should work fine but if your not down with that then continue.

Grab a small torx set or 3 similar tools to fit inside the back holes and start unscrewing

img0262hr.jpg

img0264tz.jpg

Start sliding the 3 holed nut and rubber insulator off the old apple speaker wire.

img0265pv.jpg

Cut one end off the new wire and slide the nut on first then the insulator. Remember to put them on the right way.

img0268qq.jpg

img0266io.jpg

If your having trouble getting the rubber insulator on the new wire you can give it a little C Section using a scissor or box cutter.

img0279le.jpg

Strip the new RCA wire

img0269vw.jpg

Start unscrewing the 3 small screws around the apple speaker

img0270ak.jpg

Pull the speaker out and pull out the wiring. Turn your soldering iron on!

img0271ej.jpg

Slide your new wire into the apple speaker housing from the back. Make sure to pull enough wire through for now so you can solder more easily.

img0272an.jpg

Get a sharpe and label the negative terminal of your speaker like so. Remember Brown and Blue are Negatives! There is no label on these speakers so make one!

img0273xa.jpg

Desolder both wires then resolder the new ones. Ground (+) is the uninsulated wire in an RCA cable.

img0274za.jpg

This is what your speaker/wire should look like when finished

img0275hc.jpg

Screw the speaker back in using the 3 small screws. Slide the rubber insulator up the wire while pulling all the slack out of the housing out.

img0278dz.jpg

Slide the nut back on screw it in and repeat with your other speaker.

Plug it all in and see if it works!

img0282xe.jpg

Success! Don't stop buying these speakers when you see them. They are awesome!!!

img0284sa.jpg

And the Video of them Playing

[video=youtube;FXJ0EmRzEuE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXJ0EmRzEuE[/video]

Thanks for Looking, Comment if you liked this article!

Attachments

• img0248r.jpg
    img0248r.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 6,611
Love this! I've been trying to source the subwoofer from a set of Harman/Kardon Soundsticks to do something like this for a while (the Soundsticks use the same drivers so the equalization curve for the speakers should be the same) but this is a very nice and clean looking mod!

Good job but wouldn't it have been simpler and cleaner just to cut the ends like you did and instead of soldering the cables to the actual speaker solder the two cables together? So cut like you did at the Y. Then but the RCA plug off and strip the wires and solder the wires together.

Very nice!

(PS: your pictures are crazy big to load. You should have resized a bit down, to fit in the page. No need of full resolution, I guess. ;))

Out of all the soldering work i have seen in this forum your soldering job very neat. Thanks for the photos.

Great work with the speakers and of course nice looking G5 as well :)

Topic moved from Other Apple Hardware to Customization section.

Good job but wouldn't it have been simpler and cleaner just to cut the ends like you did and instead of soldering the cables to the actual speaker solder the two cables together? So cut like you did at the Y. Then but the RCA plug off and strip the wires and solder the wires together.

You could do that, but the wires are really short. Only 1.5 feet I'm guessing. I needed longer wires since I wired up 4 of them and wanted them in different areas of my desk. I also didn't want to have a white wire coming out of the back of the speaker then heatshrink or tape connecting to another RCA wire.

This is excellent!

I have a quick question.

I just did this now with some an old pair....Assuming you do not have a subwoofer similar to yours, is there any other way to get these bad boys to work with a hackintosh? I am assuming the subwoofer is also a means of giving the speakers enough power.

I have a few more different attempts I am going to try, but so far I have tried plugging them in through my Presonus Monitor Station as well as the Audio-Out of the computer, and neither can provide enough power.

I am wondering if there is a cheap "amp" that can work in between the computer output and the speakers.

This is excellent!

I have a quick question.

I just did this now with some an old pair....Assuming you do not have a subwoofer similar to yours, is there any other way to get these bad boys to work with a hackintosh? I am assuming the subwoofer is also a means of giving the speakers enough power.

I have a few more different attempts I am going to try, but so far I have tried plugging them in through my Presonus Monitor Station as well as the Audio-Out of the computer, and neither can provide enough power.

I am wondering if there is a cheap "amp" that can work in between the computer output and the speakers.

I think a 10 watt amp can power them. But don't quote me.

check out this article. I based this guide on it.

http://www.dremeljunkie.com/2012/01/proprietarily-ridiculous.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back