X5670
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Important Note: This post is *not* about using Intel RAID with OS X, but rather how to boot OS X if you have RAID mode enabled in BIOS, as opposed to AHCI. This is important for Windows users who use RAID, or in my case, have Intel SSD caching (aka Smart Response Technology) enabled. Nor will it make your RAIDed Windows drives accessible by OS X.

Sometimes pre-built systems inexplicably come with RAID mode turned on even though they have a single drive, and users would have to reinstall Windows in AHCI mode to be able to dual boot El Capitan seamlessly. In my case, I’m using this with a Z77 chipset, but it should work with the majority of systems that use Intel RAID, though the exact device ID may be different according to chipset.

This process involves PCI device ID injection, a concept that should be familiar to many Hackintosh users. The device ID for the Intel SATA controller actually changes when the BIOS is switched from AHCI to RAID mode. The kext that needs the injection is AppleAHCIPort.kext, located in /System/Library/Extensions.

Since I’m using a Z77 chipset, I need to go the “Intel7SeriesAHCI” code block in AppleAHCIPort.kext/Contents/Info.plist. The attached screenshot is from Xcode’s plist editor. Under IONameMatch, right click on “Item 1” and select Add Row, which will add “Item 2”, but the String section will be blank. Add the device ID for the Intel AHCI controller in RAID mode. My example is from a Z77 motherboard. The device ID may be identical for other 7 series chipsets (e.g., Q77, H77) but don’t assume this and verify the device ID in Device Manager in Windows while booted in RAID mode.

7Series RAID.png

This process should be applicable to Z68 and some 8 series chipsets, but proceed with caution if you decide to try this. I’m even less certain about Skylake chipsets.

I was also able to use this technique with Yosemite, but for some reason it stopped working with 10.10.3 and newer. Similarly, Apple may decide to change *something* that renders this technique useless on El Capitan. Hopefully now that their attention is on Sierra, this will be less likely.

I’ve attached an Xcode screenshot, but I have NOT attached my AppleAHCIPort.kext. This is because I’m only sure it would work with a Z77 chipset. Further input from the community may result in a universally applicable file.

Last edited:
Hey, imrazor!

Thanks for this post. It's exactly what I'm trying to do, right now.

One question, though:

...verify the device ID in Device Manager in Windows while booted in RAID mode

Could you please post what to look for in the Windows Device Manager to find the appropriate device ID?

Thanks!

OK, so I actually tried to use my brain, rather than dumbly relying on t'interwebs to educate me, and I went looking in Device Manager under Storage controllers, and found "Intel(R) Desktop/Workstation/Server Express Chipset SATA RAID Controller".

Under Properties -> Details, and disclosing Hardwarre Ids from the pulldown, I found the same ID as yours!

Presumably, then, I need to change the controller back to AHCI in BIOS before booting into OSX and changing that kext, right?

Thanks!

Attachments

• mobo RAID controller in Windows 10 Device Manager.PNG
    mobo RAID controller in Windows 10 Device Manager.PNG
    88.8 KB · Views: 476
Since I’m using a Z77 chipset, I need to go the “Intel7SeriesAHCI” code block in AppleAHCIPort.kext/Contents/Info.plist. The attached screenshot is from Xcode’s plist editor. Under IONameMatch, right click on “Item 1” and select Add Row, which will add “Item 2”, but the String section will be blank. Add the device ID for the Intel AHCI controller in RAID mode. My example is from a Z77 motherboard. The device ID may be identical for other 7 series chipsets (e.g., Q77, H77) but don’t assume this and verify the device ID in Device Manager in Windows while booted in RAID mode.

Hello! Me, AGAIN!

So, after switching back to AHCI mode, and a couple of failed OSX (10.11.6) bootups, I'm now wondering if it would be possible to patch the AppleACHIPort kext using Clover?

All help gratefully received!

Sorry I haven't been keeping up with this thread. I'm still using the last version of El Cap with this hack. I've only tried using my method of injecting the device ID directly into AppleAHCIPort.kext. You can certainly try doing it with Clover, but I haven't tried it that way myself.

EDIT: I seem to recall having to re-apply the injection after the last update. Maybe that's why you're having issues...?

Last edited:
Sorry I haven't been keeping up with this thread. I'm still using the last version of El Cap with this hack. I've only tried using my method of injecting the device ID directly into AppleAHCIPort.kext. You can certainly try doing it with Clover, but I haven't tried it that way myself.

EDIT: I seem to recall having to re-apply the injection after the last update. Maybe that's why you're having issues...?

Thanks for getting back, imrazor!

In the end I decided to ditch the internal RAID & bought a $1,000 Thunderbolt RAID box. Of course it doesn't f*$@ing work, either, and I've actually killed my Hack, but that's another story :)

Sorry to hear that. Is the RAID box just not working in OS X, or is it completely non-functional? If so, I hope you can get a refund.

Sorry to hear that. Is the RAID box just not working in OS X, or is it completely non-functional? If so, I hope you can get a refund.
The RAID (A LaCie Big5 10TB Thunderbolt 2) works just fine with an Apple TB3 to TB2 adapter on the Windows 10 side of my dual boot, but it wasn't being recognised under El Capitan. I read that installing the RAID manager software would make it work, but it appears to have corrupted my OSX boot drive. Reboots result in it turning off half way through the boot progress bar. A verbose boot seems to show that the system is failing to run an fsck command, so I've spent all day trying to rebuild a bootable USB to boot from, but I can't ****ing do it. Very frustrating.

(Again, thanks for writing back. It seems that most people post things and never return to the thread if they're more than a couple of weeks old!)

I'm probably not knowledgeable enough to diagnose your fsck error, but if you post the error message and/or log in the Post Installation forum you might get some help with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back