Contribute
Register

How-To Bluetooth 5.0 USB Dongle [guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I lost track of this thread for a while (didn't use the Hack for a year) and never successfully got the dongle to work under Clover/Catalina.

At some point Clover refused to update and forced me to OpenCore.

Once I rebooted with OC, the dongle started working.

I'd love to upgrade to Monterey, but not willing to lose BT functionality I just finally gained.
I bought a cheap $15 Asus BT400 on Amazon, and I'm on Monterey. I don't use the "advanced" features, but so far it's been solid.

I bought a cheap $15 Asus BT400 on Amazon, and I'm on Monterey. I don't use the "advanced" features, but so far it's been solid.
Can you link the actual product?

Can you link the actual product?

OK. The thread title says Bluetooth 5.0 Dongle so I thought that's what we were talking about, and I couldn't find one that was Bluetooth 5. Thanks.

Thanks, happy to have a Plan B.

As far as Airdrop and Handoff, I haven't gotten those working as of yet; just happy to have generally reliable BT functionality.

OK. The thread title says Bluetooth 5.0 Dongle so I thought that's what we were talking about, and I couldn't find one that was Bluetooth 5. Thanks.
The Amazon page says it's BT5, but I'm not sure if that is true or not. The main desc leads you to believe it's 4 not 5. Either way, at least I have no instability or issues so far.

The main desc leads you to believe it's 4 not 5. Either way, at least I have no instability or issues so far.
The Asus BT400 is 4.0 as it was around long before 5.0 existed. I don't know of any BT 5.0 dongle that works with Monterey. There may be one that is audio only that might work but I've never tested it.

When this thread first started Catalina was the newest macOS version available and a BT 5.0 dongle did work then but Monterey is completely different. Apple has changed the BT stack creating chaos for hack owners that want working BT.

Last edited:
I don't believe it, but here is the page. I wonder if anyone has tested the BT500? I should have ordered that first, and returned it if it didn't work.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-12-27 at 12.57.54 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-12-27 at 12.57.54 PM.png
    350.7 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
Last edited:
I have the same Asus but I can't get it recognized in Monterey 12.1. Worked OOB in Big Sur. How did you get it to work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back