Contribute
Register

How should I format SSD for Windows 10 UEFI install in Disk Utility?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte ga-z97x-ud5h
CPU
Intel i7-4790K
Graphics
Sapphire Nitro+ RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Mac Pro
Adding a Windows 10 install on a second drive, just wondering how to setup the SSD properly for UEFI install? Formatting etc.

Format NTFS and Partition GPT.

The way to think about it is the Windows installer will be reluctant to choose any drive that appears to have a format, unless it finds an existing Windows install on it.

So what you want is a drive with no format, then Windows will be predisposed to using it.

With Disk Utility the closest you can get to a blank drive suitable for Windows is GPT and MSDOS or exFAT.

Using terminal and dd(1) or ditto you can write a few MB of /dev/zero to get drive to clobber the partition table, effectively making the drive blank.

You can also look up how to invoke the command prompt from Windoes installer and use format command to layout the drive.

As mentioned by trs96 you want GPT (GUID Partition Table) and NTFS, but Windows installer is going to install at least 3 other support ares on the drive as normal operation.

Do not try to share a drive with MacOS without expert skillz

Mainstream Linux (Ubuntu) and Windows co-exist well these days so that's not too risky, but I've seen recent Ubuntu installer (Unity) overwrite OpenCore on NVMe drive unrelated to chosen target drive, which was a nasty surprise.

Save a copy of your hack EFI in a manner you can put it back if needed after your system won't boot from normal macOS

Sometimes you will need to reset NVRAM to recover from an install glitch and get back to previous install on other drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back