Contribute
Register

How much shaking will kill your HDD ? Answer below.

Status
Not open for further replies.

trs96

Motherboard
Gigabyte B460M Aorus Pro
CPU
i5-10500
Graphics
RX 570
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I've seen so many failed laptop hard drives over the years that I always thought any movement while it is accessing data would essentially make it a brick, ready for the recycle bin. I've always wondered about this but never tried the "experiment" on an old clunker drive. It was quite surprising what it took to completely disable the laptop HDD shown in this video. If you want the Spoiler Alert, to completely kill your HDD quickly, remove the cover and get some dust and/or debris in there and then try to keep it running normally. :eek:

Last edited:
Here's a well done video if you'd like to learn how mechanical hard drives work, reading and writing data.

I thought that most hard disks (nor SSD's) could survive a 300G shake. Thats quite a lot, you and I would probably be dead by then.

I'd be astonished if you could shake a HD to generate 300G shock, though dropping onto a rigid floor from a certain height would do this. My maths is shaky as I try to recall converting mass to energy and how fast it would need to accelerate in gravity to hit the right speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back