Contribute
Register

How much shaking will kill your HDD ? Answer below.

trs96

Motherboard
GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK
CPU
i5-4690K
Graphics
HD4600 / RX 570
Mac
iMac, Mac mini
Mobile Phone
Android
I've seen so many failed laptop hard drives over the years that I always thought any movement while it is accessing data would essentially make it a brick, ready for the recycle bin. I've always wondered about this but never tried the "experiment" on an old clunker drive. It was quite surprising what it took to completely disable the laptop HDD shown in this video. If you want the Spoiler Alert, to completely kill your HDD quickly, remove the cover and get some dust and/or debris in there and then try to keep it running normally. :eek:

Last edited:

trs96

Motherboard
GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK
CPU
i5-4690K
Graphics
HD4600 / RX 570
Mac
iMac, Mac mini
Mobile Phone
Android
Motherboard
Asrock Fatality Z270 ITX ac
CPU
i5-7600
Graphics
Radeon Pro WX 4100
Mac
Mac Pro
Classic Mac
LC
Mobile Phone
Android, iOS, Other
In my experience, just lend your portable hdd to my sister. I've yet to get a working drive back from her. She could do data destruction for the government.

Motherboard
Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
Graphics
2 x R9 280X
Mac
iMac, MacBook, MacBook Pro, Mac Pro
I thought that most hard disks (nor SSD's) could survive a 300G shake. Thats quite a lot, you and I would probably be dead by then.

I'd be astonished if you could shake a HD to generate 300G shock, though dropping onto a rigid floor from a certain height would do this. My maths is shaky as I try to recall converting mass to energy and how fast it would need to accelerate in gravity to hit the right speed.