Contribute
Register

How migrate from Clover to Opencore? (Catalina)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H
CPU
i5-7400
Graphics
HD 630 | GT 740
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I have been using Clover for years and I have decided to investigate to switch to Opencore, I do not have much configuration in the bootloader but I would like to know if I would have to make any changes with my current configuration. If someone understands how it works and can help me, I would appreciate it.

Attachments

• Captura de pantalla 2020-08-15 a las 19.36.39.png
    Captura de pantalla 2020-08-15 a las 19.36.39.png
    338.3 KB · Views: 196
  • config.plist
    5.6 KB · Views: 121
I have been using Clover for years and I have decided to investigate to switch to Opencore, I do not have much configuration in the bootloader but I would like to know if I would have to make any changes with my current configuration. If someone understands how it works and can help me, I would appreciate it.
yes, you have to pretty much start afresh with OpenCore as the folder structure, the files and especially the config.plist is totally different to clover

I've recently built two new machines with OpenCore (OC6.0 MacPro 7,1 w/ i9-10980XE CPU on MSI X-299-A PRO MB, and OC6.1 iMac 15,1 w/ an old XEON CPU and ASRock z97 MB), and finally converted my "daily drive" (OC6.2 iMac 18.3 w/ i7-7700k on GA-Z270-HD3 MB) across from Clover. In each instance I followed the Install Guide located here; https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Install-Guide/

With respect to migrating over from Clover, I built a fresh USB, following the above mentioned guide (relevant to my CPU model) step by step and including the recommended KEXT's and ACPI fixes along the way. As I wanted to maintain my current system persona, I simply transposed the necessary elements from the Clover <RtVariables> and <SMBIOS> dictionaries into OpenCore's <PlatformInfo> dictionary, specifically the following;
  • CL ProductName -> OC SystemProductName
  • CL SerialNumber -> OC SystemSerialNumber
  • CL BoardSerialNumber -> OC MLB
  • CL ROM -> OC ROM
  • CL SmUUID -> OC SystemUUID
I then used this fresh USB to test boot the machine, and once nailed down, backed up my Clover EFI, and replaced it with the freshly compiled OpenCore EFI folder structure from the USB, and removed the verbose boot flag from "boot-args" within the OC NVRAM dictionary.

I should add that in all instances I have Native NVRAM with full sleep and wake support, and that the MacPro 7,1 and iMac 18.3 use the ACPI patch described here; https://dortania.github.io/Getting-Started-With-ACPI/Universal/nvram-methods/manual.html as a means of achieving Native NVRAM support. Furthermore, all machines are running with CSR / SIP enabled, which in itself can be disabled if needed, using the same Recovery boot and "csrutil disable" process as a "real Mac".

I followed the guide and made my Z370 build switch to OpenCore today, after spending about 3 hours on researching, fixing and tweaking. I was watching videos during the process so it was relatively slow, but I could calm myself down well. The only major issue I encountered was ‘kernel panic on Invalid frame pointer’ but I was able to fix it via the troubleshooting instruction.

I tried the debug package on a USB stick first so my build was not affected at all until I confirmed the success. I ultimately copied files to the release package and tweaked config.plist for it. Some nice decorations are also installed that the boot screen of OpenCore looks pretty decent comparing to the default simple menu. I have made sure there are backups for those OpenCore folders.

I will try for H61 in the future although it seems more difficult.

Update: Successfully switched to OpenCore too for H61 just now.

Last edited:
Its a bit tricky but you won't regret it. Its incredibly well documented, so just take your time and go through the steps. Like the others said, do it on a USB stick and there is no commitment.

I followed the guide and made my Z370 build switch to OpenCore today, after spending about 3 hours on researching, fixing and tweaking. I was watching videos during the process so it was relatively slow, but I could calm myself down well. The only major issue I encountered was ‘kernel panic on Invalid frame pointer’ but I was able to fix it via the troubleshooting instruction.

I tried the debug package on a USB stick first so my build was not affected at all until I confirmed the success. I ultimately copied files to the release package and tweaked config.plist for it. Some nice decorations are also installed that the boot screen of OpenCore looks pretty decent comparing to the default simple menu. I have made sure there are backups for those OpenCore folders.

I will try for H61 in the future although it seems more difficult.

Update: Successfully switched to OpenCore too for H61 just now.
Do you have any tips for setting up a custom boot screen? It used to be easy to do in Clover Theme Manager but with OpenCore, I'm not having any success with customizing OpenCanopy (but I do have THAT working at least. I just can't seem to find any info on modifying it).

Do you have any tips for setting up a custom boot screen? It used to be easy to do in Clover Theme Manager but with OpenCore, I'm not having any success with customizing OpenCanopy (but I do have THAT working at least. I just can't seem to find any info on modifying it).
Afaik, OpenCanopy is pretty basic and doesn't have any support for themeing other than just replacing the icons outright in the folder. Pretty sure you can set a background color through nvram(?), but definitely can't set a background image. If someone wanted to develop a more thematic gui, they could - since it's just a driver rather than part of the bootloader itself.

The functionality is limited. I don’t know if it is possible to modify.

It took me a long time to learn Clover, and trying to understand OpenCore for me is like being handed a New American Dictionary and then being told to write the Great American Novel. Hey, all the words are there, right?

If I didn't have Clover Configurator, I'd be no good using Clover. Where is "OpenCore Configurator?" PlistEditPro just doesn't do it for me, sorry. I'm even chicken to update Clover from 5119 to 5126, because I have no idea what the "Quirks" even are, much less how to choose them correctly for my systems. Yes, I've read the Guide, and all the available explanations, and I've downloaded version 0.6.3 (release) but it makes about as much sense to me as "spacetime." Guess I'm obsolete.

It took me a long time to learn Clover, and trying to understand OpenCore for me is like being handed a New American Dictionary and then being told to write the Great American Novel. Hey, all the words are there, right?

If I didn't have Clover Configurator, I'd be no good using Clover. Where is "OpenCore Configurator?" PlistEditPro just doesn't do it for me, sorry. I'm even chicken to update Clover from 5119 to 5126, because I have no idea what the "Quirks" even are, much less how to choose them correctly for my systems. Yes, I've read the Guide, and all the available explanations, and I've downloaded version 0.6.3 (release) but it makes about as much sense to me as "spacetime." Guess I'm obsolete.
Hello,

I am also working to migrate from clover to opencore,
In the opencore configurator is a option too check your conficuration, hope it helps !

I also have a other problem maybe someone can help me.
After downloading everything i made a new efi with opencore on a usb stick.
The usb stick loads and i can see my windows partition.

But i can't see my Big Sur HDD (i see a mojave installer optie)

If i try to boot the mojave installer it keeps rebooting.

Also i can't get my windows 7 to boot any more on opencore.
Is there also a fix for this ?

Regards

Nextria

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back