Contribute
Register

How many cores will the next 2021 Macs have ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

trs96

Motherboard
Gigabyte B460M Aorus Pro
CPU
i5-10500
Graphics
RX 570
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Mark Gurman is saying that it's going to be way more than anyone had ever imagined. Apple may really outshine Intel and even AMD Zen based PCs at the higher end. That is in terms of CPU and GPU performance. Renee Ritchie examines the Gurman article.

Last edited:
The latest Apple Silicon news leaks from Appleinsider.com

Apple's short-term plan for Apple Silicon is reportedly a larger MacBook Pro and iMac refresh in 2021, with a Mac Pro with up to 32 high-performance cores coming at some point in 2022.

Backing up recent claims that Apple is designing an Apple Silicon-powered Mac Pro that is half the size of the Intel one, new reports say the company plans dramatically improved Mac processors. These include a potential 32-core Mac Pro in 2022, and an iMac in late 2021.

According to Bloomberg, Apple is expecting to produce Apple Silicon processors that are faster than even the current best performing Intel PCs. Citing unnamed sources said to be familiar with the plans, Bloomberg says that Apple is developing a series of processors with a series of options.

The sources say that Apple may choose to hold the fastest of its processors until 2022, and that it may release versions with varying numbers of cores. However, at present the plan for 2021 is a new MacBook Pro, and both an entry-level and high-end iMac.

The highest-end Mac Pro would be some time in 2022, and it may also benefit from greatly increased graphics capabilities. According to Bloomberg, the highest-end Macs could gain 64- and 128-core graphics processing.

The world is a-changin'

I think the gain-sayers should realise all of this is expanded iPhone tech. Just visualise how compact the iPhone CPUs are and then swell them up to desktop size. The surface area for cores and other gubbins is so much bigger.

It was a brave move by Apple but the proof of the pudding is in the eating, as they say. The motherboard inside the Mac Mini M1 is about two-thirds the size of the one in the previous generation.

As the old joke went: "The Electronics Company was so successful they had to move into smaller premises."

:)

I'm waiting for someone to do the ultimate M1 comparison video....

Apple 8 core M1 vs. the Eniac. Who would win the performance per watt crown in that comparison ?

1607468261044.png

Pretty cool, my previous tendency to move to Windows changed to getting back to Apple hardware again recently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back